Internal charging cable

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsrevae

I recently brought my 2013 FFE to my local ford as my brake light was on, they determined that it was initially an ABS issue, then further determined it was the brake booster and repaired that. I then took it home and not two days later the brake light turned on again, so I observed for a week, light would be off in 60*+ weather and on anything below 60* So I brought it back and Ford they said now the hydrologic control unit module needed to be replaced. I choose not to get that fixed with ford and set up and app with my regular mechanic. I then tried to charge my car two days later and it wouldn't charge, I tried different outlets at my home and a friends, I went to a few level 2 charging stations in town and it was the same so I brought it back to Ford. Ford diagnosis it and says that an Internal Cable need replacing and the part is on back order for 10 months!! They are planning to get back to me on how they can assist me in the mean time, but have any of you heard of this or had similar issues?! I'm no mechanic but this whole situation seems very odd! Any thoughts appreciated.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Could you please clarify some things for us. You said you had contacted your own non-Ford mechanic to take care of the brake issue (I assume you meant "hydraulic control unit"?). Was this worked on before the charging issue developed? I suppose it's possible that something was inadvertently disconnected (or not reconnected properly). Non-EV-trained Ford techs could also have screwed something up while futzing around with the brakes. Were there any successful charging events between all this work and when first you noticed the charging problem?

If the problem developed independently of any tinkering, I wonder if it might have something to do with the parts covered by Field Service Action 16B02 (see http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23236 ). Maybe some one else with more knowledge will chime in. This recall is for areas with routine salting of roads in winter (not sure where your car spent most of its life). If this battery connector is part of the problem, repair should be covered under the recall. However, if there's already damage, one of the battery packs may have to be sent off to a repair center (but a loaner/rental should be provided).

Not sure if any of this helps but it's all I can come up with at the moment. Good luck!

Back