An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:53 pm 

I usually drive the car daily except when I travel. Since they reprogrammed it, I haven't had a single issue. Except the crazy lack of range when it is 25 degrees out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:45 am 

I too have just found my 2012 FFE batteries dead (after two months of not driving), I store it for the winter inside. In years past the main car charger was put on every few weeks to charge up main batteries. My question is now that I will have to charge the 12V battery, can the main car charger be left on at the same time?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:59 am 

evcar340 There is absolutely no reason to leave the EVSE plugged in during storage. The lithium pack will only lose a few percent capacity if stored for an entire year. Who knows if it applies to the FFE (100% indicated charge is actually about 90% SOC.) but for some lithium batteries storing them at full capacity is actually harmful. The modem and various other electronics however present a constant but small draw on the 12V battery. If you are storing it over the winter all you need is a 12V float/trickle charger to keep the 12V from dying or simply unhook the 12V battery.

To answer your question you probably do not want both a 12V charger and the EVSE plugged in at the same time. I highly doubt the car would be harmed but the 12V charger might be. The DC-DC converter is capable of high current at up to about 14.5V. This could potentially harm a 12V charger depending on what it does when it sees the battery go from 12.6V to 14.5V. Most dumb trickle chargers put out a little over 13V constantly. I'm not sure if the extra voltage supplied by the DC-DC converter would instantly fry your trickle charger but I can't imagine it would very good for it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:26 am 

I parked my 2013 FFE with a low charge on a cold night and forgot to plug it in. The next day the 12V battery was dead. I don't think I left anything on to drain the 12V battery. There was still 14% charge on the high voltage battery when I got the 12V battery woke up. I haven't drained the 12V battery before or since but I usually plug the car in when I get home. So it looks like the parasitic power drains will drain the 12V battery if the high voltage battery is low and your not on an L2 charger.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:38 pm 

Texas, Have you had all the recalls / firmware updates applied. There was a software fix in early 2015 IIRC that solved the dead 12V problem as you described. If the fix was applied to your 2013 FFE already it's possible the 12V was already degraded from being drained too many times before the fix was applied and the cold just finished it off.