No heat.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffand

I have no cabin heat. I set it to 75 degrees and the fan runs but no heat. The energy monitor shows no heavy current draw. For a very short period of time it may jump full scale then after 5 or 10 seconds drop to zero. Then it stays there. :(

jeffand said:
I have no cabin heat. I set it to 75 degrees and the fan runs but no heat. The energy monitor shows no heavy current draw. For a very short period of time it may jump full scale then after 5 or 10 seconds drop to zero. Then it stays there. :(
Is the ignition in "ready to drive" mode? -- or just "accessory mode"?

The heater and A/C do not function in accessory mode. Only the fan will blow.

The car must be fully turned on for heat or A/C.

I was driving the car and the heat was non functional.
I just had the modem updated on Tuesday, and noticed the no heat problem on Wednesday.
I normally do not run the heat in winter, but decided to use it to help defrost the window when I noticed the problem.

Yeah dealer. The no heat and modem replacement probably have nothing to do with each other. You said you don't normally use heat, and just decided to use it the day after. The heater might have been broken for some time.

Then again, they might have bumped something while changing out the modem. Not sure what it takes to do the modem job - could be near a heater connection.

The modem is located in the trunk of the car. It also will be connected to the CAN buss so everything can talk to each other.

Try turning on Def. High. It is the red Def button above the on/off button on the hvac control panel.
Mine was not working and did this and have had heat on
Any setting ever since.
Worth a try and my save a trip back to Ford.

2013 ffe lease return.

I did try turning on the defrost to high this did not work. I tried disconnecting the 12 volt battery for about 3 minutes, this didn't fix the problem.

So this last Friday I took it into the dealership to have it fixed.
This is what the service report said.
"36764 verify the no heat condition. Check for codes. I retrieved a P0CEA:00. I checked cooling system and found it to be low.
I topped off system and follow the shop manuals pinpoint test W for inspection of the three cooling pumps. While performing the cooling system fill routine.
I then cleared the code and verified the system works. I also inspected for a coolant leak and found none. System looked to be about a pint low."

A pint is 16 ounces.
The reservoir is located by the shock tower on the passenger side.
Could some one check what a code P0CEA:00 is?

jeffand said:
Could some one check what a code P0CEA:00 is?
P0CEA appears to mean:

Hybrid propulsion / electric vehicle electronic components
Coolant pump - operating problem

So..... did the dealer's work fix the cabin heating problem?

Yes the heat is now working.
Does this cooling system also handle the high voltage battery?
Because the battery was worked on earlier in the year.
The low coolant level maybe cause by dealership not topping off the fluid properly.

jmueller065 said:
Here is a pretty detailed description of the cooling system: Lesson 3 Cooling system (pdf)
OK, that's the coolest thing ever.

Isn't it funny how the motor kind of looks like an ICE?

Did I understand that correctly, the battery heating / cooling system is the same as the heater for people? So they did the same thing as an ICE - using a heat exchanger and fan. I had sort of expected to see electric heater coils and a fan that work independent of the battery heating / cooling system. You know like a space heater. Guess that's totally wrong.

No, there are three separate loops, though they share the same coolant. The passenger compartment loop has an electric heater.

kalel14 said:
No, there are three separate loops, though they share the same coolant. The passenger compartment loop has an electric heater.
Guess I should look at that document a little closer. That's what I get for skimming.

jmueller065 said:
Here is a pretty detailed description of the cooling system: Lesson 3 Cooling system (pdf)
Thank you, that is cool (warm?). Can we get to others? That title "Lesson 3 ..." leads to wondering what other lessons are available, and where. (Looks like "slides" from a power-point presentation, to accompany a talk, and leaves out some details ... & inquiring minds want to know, ...)

JTCalif said:
Thank you, that is cool (warm?). Can we get to others? That title "Lesson 3 ..." leads to wondering what other lessons are available, and where. (Looks like "slides" from a power-point presentation, to accompany a talk, and leaves out some details ... & inquiring minds want to know, ...)
I've posted the 3 I found (and copied) before in the forums here but here are the other two:
Vehicle Overview (pdf)
Lesson 2 Braking System (pdf)

Literally just started having the exact same problem. I haven't checked for codes yet. Made a dealer appointment to be safe, but I plan to dig into it tonight. I'll be checking for codes and the coolant level. My factory warranty has expired now but I have ESP with $0 deductible until 75,000 miles. I figure I won't even have the car that long. I just bought a 2016 Mustang GT Premium a few weeks ago...

--
Sam

I have this problem. No heating of the cabin.
ForScan shows the error after switching on the heating.

=== PCM DTC P0CEA: 00-08 ===
Code: P0CEA - Hybrid / EV Electronics Coolant Pump Performance

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Freeze Frame:
-REALTIME: 64657044 sec - Total time ECU has been active
-DIST_TOT_VEH: 33461.0 km - Total Vehicle Distance
-MAINPCM_V: 13.50 Volt - Control Module Voltage
-OUTDR_TMP: 1 ° C - Outdoor Air Temperature
=== END PCM DTC P0CEA: 00-08 ===

The cooling liquid is new, the level max. He was changed. Liquid 6.5-7 liters.

Heating does not work.
The error clears before switching on the heating / AC, after turning on the error returns.

All fuses are checked and are OK.

Hopefully this makes sense through a translator. When the coolant is changed or the coolant level becomes low, air bubbles can get trapped in the coolant system causing circulation problems. Ford has a procedure that forces on all 3 coolant pumps and valves in a manner that purges all air bubbles from the coolant system. It sounds like you may have an air bubble somewhere that is preventing proper coolant flow that is then preventing your heater from turning on. If you don't have access to a Ford dealer, you will have to find some other way to run the pumps / valves and purge all air from the coolant loops.

Back