New Recall - Differential Assembly

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an appointment made a couple of weeks ahead of time, but Ford dealership can't get the parts for this. Service Advisor blamed the "fire" in Michigan on the problem, although I googled that and found out the fire happened a mere 2 days before my scheduled appointment, too late to really affect the parts delivery, so he lied or was misled.

Still haven't got the parts, and its been a month since ordering them.
Anybody else had this work done? Got the parts OK?

I was just reading a thread on here about the other recall, the infamous modem update, and the service advisor is supposed to replace my modem and the differential at the same time. Some, not all, of the people writing in say the Ford dealership insists on taking the Focus Electric and digging out the serial number off the old modem BEFORE ordering the new modem. Hoping my Ford dealer isn't that nutty as its probably not needed. Another modem person even mentioned the Ford fire that occurred in Michigan 2 days prior to my originally scheduled dealership appointment in another state.

Its been a few weeks since their excuse about the fire, something which happened a mere 2 days before my Ford Dealership appointment. You'd think that fire in Michigan happened too late to affect my old appointment. Common sense says that anyway. They were supposed to already have the new differential in hand in Colorado (or on a truck headed to CO) when the fire happened.

I made my appointment to take my 2016 FFE for the recall yesterday (Mon) morning. They called me back and said that the transmissions parts need to be replaced, and it will take about 3 weeks. This is the biggest volume Ford dealer in the world, and I was pretty surprised. The SA said that they cannot provide a loaner, and asked me to call Ford. Ford created a case, and asked me to contact the dealer Service Manager (after they chatted to the dealership while I was on hold), who will take care of a loaner. When I called him this morning, they were not sure why it was sent to them. But, the dealer has sent a message to the Ford Regional Customer Service Manager to see if he can do something. I am told that he might be able to find the parts from another local dealer. But, not sure if he will approve a loaner for 3 weeks.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

you might want to get the extended service/warranty to get loaner coverage!

I am waiting until mid Jan to get mine done so I can do the inspection, tire changes and so on all at once.
As well as modem upgrade

fbitz777 said:
you might want to get the extended service/warranty to get loaner coverage!

I am waiting until mid Jan to get mine done so I can do the inspection, tire changes and so on all at once.
As well as modem upgrade

I normally get the extended warranty for my other car/van. But, I got the FFE on a 3-year lease, and even though I really like it, but I really doubt I will keep this one as the space is very limited other than for the driver. Have had the car for 7 months, and have only 3,400 miles on it. So, I expect it to be less than 20K at the end of the lease. I don't think that I am due to get the modem update.

GHTech,
When they said it would take 3 weeks, I doubt if they meant the work itself will take that long, right? See if you can get them to receive the new parts in advance so you can just give up your car for one day for completion. I'm about to check back in to my Ford dealer to figure out why they can't seem to get the part after over a month. Hoping for a modem too.

Unless you want a loaner because the Focus is no longer safe to drive. I'm still driving mine, hoping the differential spider gear shaft pinion doesn't break.

Anybody actually heard of a failure? Likely small percentage.

electrons said:
GHTech,
When they said it would take 3 weeks, I doubt if they meant the work itself will take that long, right? See if you can get them to receive the new parts in advance so you can just give up your car for one day for completion. I'm about to check back in to my Ford dealer to figure out why they can't seem to get the part after over a month. Hoping for a modem too.

Unless you want a loaner because the Focus is no longer safe to drive. I'm still driving mine, hoping the differential spider gear shaft pinion doesn't break.

Anybody actually heard of a failure? Likely small percentage.

Hi electrons!

Got the car back last evening. What I was told by the Service Advisor was that on the day that I dropped it off, they tried to do the update (whatever that means) and that didn't work. They had to order a number of parts (mentioned 12 parts) that had to be replaced. They were able to get the parts pretty quickly, but their transmission shop was backed up about 2 weeks. I think that they did finish the car about a week after they got the parts, and I was without the FFE for about 11 days. They said that if I take the car out after the initial update, that I will have to get back in line for the transmission shop.

With regards to the loaner, the dealer said that it was a recall and they cannot get me a loaner. If I had the extended warranty, then they would have got me a loaner. Ford said that they could get the parts out next day, and the delay is with the dealers transmission shop. So, that was not resolved. Anyway, the lady at the dealer who was trying to get this resolved made an extra call, and got Ford to agree to reimburse me if I pay for the loaner. I was "car-sitting" for a friend, and needed the loaner only this Mon, and returned it yesterday. So, paid for 3+ days, and should get the $115 back within a week.

Regards,

GHTech

Hi!

Could this "issue" have caused my problem where I put the car into Drive, it did not move until I kept trying moving the gear back and forth and turning the power on and off? This happened twice.

Thanks,

GHTech

your have a 2016FFE ? only a few hundred cars were affected (mine being one)

I doubt it has anything to do with your issue, I had these both on my 2016 and 2013 and it was more about the car being confused
and not energizing the motor

fbitz777 said:
...it was more about the car being confused and not energizing the motor

Interesting way of putting it. I have had this happen to me a number of times. I shift into reverse (to go down my driveway) and no power steering or motor. Stop, but in park and restart the car has worked a few times so far.

It's as if we need an audible "Vrooom" noise to tell us the motor is energized

fbitz777 said:

I doubt it has anything to do with your issue, I had these both on my 2016 and 2013 and it was more about the car being confused

Yes, it is a 2016. Curious to know about why the 2014 was replaced with a 2016. If you already have a write-up about, just point.

GHTech said:
fbitz777 said:

Yes, it is a 2016. Curious to know about why the 2014 was replaced with a 2016. If you already have a write-up about, just point.
Motor mount broke off and damaged the front CV joint and was in the shop for 9 months and then I complained and ford gave me a new one

My old 2014 was eventually sold at auction and I once a while get an email saying it is doing fine.

Jamez said:
It's as if we need an audible "Vrooom" noise to tell us the motor is energized
Well there is the green "Ready to go" light on the dash.

Sometimes if you don't follow the proper sequence that light doesn't come on and the car just sits there....

About confused starting - honestly, the car isn't confused. This comes up with new owners pretty often. You just have to get used to the routine and timing.

Get in the car, press and hold the brake pedal down, press the start button, release the brake pedal, put on your seat belt, and the car will be ready to go. That last step is the critical one - put on your seat belt to give the car a second or two to actually be ready to move.

And yes, as JMueller pointed out, the green car with the double arrow is the indication the car is ready. If that light isn't on, you aren't going anywhere.

EVA said:
About confused starting - honestly, the car isn't confused. This comes up with new owners pretty often. You just have to get used to the routine and timing.

Get in the car, press and hold the brake pedal down, press the start button, release the brake pedal, put on your seat belt, and the car will be ready to go. That last step is the critical one - put on your seat belt to give the car a second or two to actually be ready to move.

And yes, as JMueller pointed out, the green car with the double arrow is the indication the car is ready. If that light isn't on, you aren't going anywhere.

Hi EVA!

In my case the car had reversed out of the parking spot, and when switched to Drive, it did not move. Tried moving it between D and R, and then P and turned car off. Turned it back on (made sure that the Green Car was on), and put into Drive, and the car did not move. After a few different tries, the problem went away.

Regards,

GHTech

GHTech said:
In my case the car had reversed out of the parking spot, and when switched to Drive, it did not move. Tried moving it between D and R, and then P and turned car off. Turned it back on (made sure that the Green Car was on), and put into Drive, and the car did not move. After a few different tries, the problem went away.
Not necessarily: Is there a down slope to the parking spot? The reason I ask is because when the car doesn't fully come up it feels like its in neutral and thus, if your drive has a down slope, you may have thought that it was backing out normally but could have just coasted down the drive. Then you wouldn't notice that it didn't switch to D when really it didn't switch to R either. This is really easy to miss: get in the habit: get in, turn on, back out, etc. I've done it a few times even making it down the driveway before realizing that the car isn't "on".

They can be really finicky and make you think stuff is going on when it isn't.

jmueller065 said:
GHTech said:
Not necessarily: Is there a down slope to the parking spot? The reason I ask is because when the car doesn't fully come up it feels like its in neutral and thus, if your drive has a down slope, you may have thought that it was backing out normally but could have just coasted down the drive. Then you wouldn't notice that it didn't switch to D when really it didn't switch to R either. This is really easy to miss: get in the habit: get in, turn on, back out, etc. I've done it a few times even making it down the driveway before realizing that the car isn't "on".

They can be really finicky and make you think stuff is going on when it isn't.

Hi!

In both situations, it was completely flat.

Thanks,

GHTech

J_PATT said:
I spoke with the Service Advisor at my dealership and he told me it is looking like Feb 2017 before they will have parts.

I've been trying since Nov 2016 to get my dealership to order the parts, and so far no progress at all. (2 weeks I went in there, asked the same service advisor to look into it, and he has not called me back.) I'll go in tomorrow or so and try yet again. Something is not clicking in the Parts Dept. on this parts order.

Back