True range in cold weather.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darkball said:
Also I have almost the same problem with MyFordMobile app, I can't confirm that I'm a new owner of the car, because there are no any pop-ups on screen when I'm requesting an ownership. I think all this function can work properly only in USA...
Correct. the car's wireless modem connects to the AT&T cellphone network. The modem used to be 2g but they are shutting that down in the USA. Ford was upgrading our modems to 3g. I just got mine a couple weeks ago. Your problem is just like bringing a cellphone from the USA to the Ukraine, it wont connect to the cell network there.

I thought that car can connect to internet via Wi-Fi and it will be enough for MyFordMobile functionality, but now I see that there are only GSM network acceptable... Sad... Missing so many nice functions.
I had an email from MyFodMobile with notification about modem replacement, but for this I should send back the car to USA :)

Will try to ask Ford dealer here if they can replace modem for me... can imagine their surprised faces :eek:

Want to share some mine observations:
plugged off my FFE from charging with 100% charged battery, temperature outside was -1 -2C, heater was turned on, got the 65km of range on my GOM, traveled 40km with heater and there are 25km still on GOM, so I can make conclusion that the GOM calculating correctly (+/-), so triangles was completely right.

About modem. I have asked today Ford dealer here, they don't hear anything about modems and even such technologies in cars :)

Other thing about pre-conditioning, now I using it often before drive, but I see that it works only for 5min, is there are any setup to make it works longer?

darkball said:
Other thing about pre-conditioning, now I using it often before drive, but I see that it works only for 5min, is there are any setup to make it works longer?

I've noticed the same on mine. I have my set to 72 F and when I got in it this morning it was no where near that inside. Outside temp was about 27 F.

Omen87 said:
darkball said:

I've noticed the same on mine. I have my set to 72 F and when I got in it this morning it was no where near that inside. Outside temp was about 27 F.
Omen - if you have the car plugged into 120V, it won't get all the way warm. It will warm up some, but not full temperature.

Jmueller was an expert at cold weather. He had his car parked outside and used the preheat to melt the snow on the car. So it does work, if you have the right power going into the car.

I just set mine to toasty (72), and my wife was always happy with the temperature. If it matched the preset, no clue, it just made her happy. And that is all that really matters.

Early morning before preconditioning (when I kept the car outside):
cold4.jpg

After preconditioning at 85F:
cold3.jpg

Yeah granted there wasn't much snow that night but it was really cold (24F/-4C).

If you're using the remote start there is a setting somewhere that allows you to choose the length of time it runs in remote start. If I remember correctly, 5 minutes is the shortest time and 15 minutes is the longest time. If you're using GO times then the car determines when it comes on. I'm not certain but I think you need to be plugged into 240V for the GO times to work properly.

GO Times will work at 120V or 240V, but will have a hard time warming in the winter with 120V. Cooling in the summer is not a problem with 120V, btw.

I always using 240V and 5min it's not enough to warm up car when outside -1 or -3C, will try to find that time settings.
Another thing that I saw is when the car are completely charged and stay plugged and I turn on pre-heating then the car starts charging again, it seems like heater don't use power direct from network but from battery and when the charge level goes down then car continue charging... I may mistake about this but I had such practice, car was 100% charged, I turn on pre-heating, wait for 5 min while it's over, plug out the charger and saw 99% level inside, so it seems like heater spend more energy than can get from charger during that time.

darkball said:
I may mistake about this but I had such practice, car was 100% charged, I turn on pre-heating, wait for 5 min while it's over, plug out the charger and saw 99% level inside, so it seems like heater spend more energy than can get from charger during that time.
Yes this is correct: It is possible for the heater to consume more electricity than the charger can supply and thus it will draw some from the battery.

I played around with my Juicebox after I got it varying the amount of current it told the car it could supply and was able to see this quite frequently.

Back