New Recall - 3G modem?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI - Appears that if you have a 2014 or earlier Leaf, Nissan is charging for this. It's free for 2015's and up.

Thanks Ford! Took you long enough, but appreciate that it was free!!

I don't think ford had a choice. You paid for 5 years of MFM service when you bough the car. I guess they could have only done it for the first buyer and screwed anyone who bought a FFE secondhand.

Totally appreciate Ford doing the right thing. Working through the details is tough on a low production car, and moreso in states where it really wasn't sold at all.

Personally, I'm happy to get the part replaced and carry on. Still like the car.

After 15N04 new modem install (one trip, 4 hours w/ power control software upgrade), all worked well except that Value Charge Profiles fail to sync on MFM ("Value Charge Profiles have failed to sync"). All other MFM functions work, I can query the car via MFM, etc. It has been suggested to uninstall the car from MFM and re-install. If I uninstall the car from MFM and re-install will I lose all of the trip and mileage history?

If you delete your account, you'll lose your trip data. Reinstalling the Mobile app alone should not make that happen. I had to do the same thing due to an array of issues I was experiencing (especially after the newest mobile app upgrade). Before you do that though... make sure you have the most current version of sync installed in your car. That can solve lotsa problems.

Does your Go charge profiles sync from the web app to the car? Mine did not and reinstalling the phone app and totally deleting and re-establishing all my accounts did not that fix that either. (Fixed some stuff, but not that.) Ford had to do something on their side on the web app. Even called me when they were done. Everything works fine now. Gotta say, I was quite impressed with the service they gave me as a second hand owner.

Carl

Well after what was a far too long and overly-convoluted process I finally got the 15N04 Embedded Modem Replacement recall done yesterday but it certainly did not earn Ford any kudos from me. If anything it has started to pushed me away from buying any further Ford products,

Remember that I am in Canada and posted back on 14 Oct, the day that 15N04 was first listed that I contacted my dealer to schedule this recall. When they got back to me a day or two later they declined any knowledge of the recall and said they could only do what was in “their system”. There was also quite a discussion that recalls listed on owner.ford.com did not necessarily apply to my care even though my SN was listed on the page. :roll: So we agreed that I would call back in a few weeks when hopefully it would be reflected in the Ford Canada recall list for my car. At the beginning of November I called back to push for the recall and was met with a litany of, quite frankly, moronically stupid excuses trying to avoid implementing the recall. While on the phone they did find the recall notice in some unidentified system but then tried to “explain” that it was only applicable to cars built at the Michigan assembly plant between certain dates and my car didn’t meet either criteria. At this point I’ve heard enough and start pushing back firstly with the only place Focii are built for the North American market is the Michigan Assembly point (which they reluctantly acknowledged) and then that my car was built in early March 15 which was well within the stated build window which they also agreed was the case. But no they weren’t going to do it because it did not apply to Canada as my car didn’t have a modem in it. The recall was just for Lincoln’s going from 3G to 4G. “Really – then would you care to explain how I have connectivity to the car?” was the terse reply to which they feigned surprise that I had and used the Ford Mobile App!

Thoroughly exasperated I demanded to know who I needed to call to take this to a higher level at which point they gave me the Ford Canada customer satisfaction number in Oakville ON. That call didn’t start off so well either as the “recall agent” was trying to tell me that the recall was not applicable to my car or Canada and that there was nothing she could do. After perhaps 10 minutes with this woman she suggested I talk with a customer satisfaction agent. So now I am livid and stated that I had called the customer satisfaction line so how was it now necessary to be transferred to customer satisfaction. Apparently she was only the customer satisfaction agent for recalls! Good bloody grief! So with trepidation of being dropped during the transfer I awaited another agent to pick-up and somewhat surprisingly that did happen without further difficulties. After five minutes of recounting the case to this agent I start getting the same well-worn deferment comments that I received at the dealer and then from the “recall satisfaction agent”. So then we “discussed” the imminent closure of the 2G network and the loss of connectivity that would nullify one of the features which was a consideration when buying the car. Eventually enter my comment that I had been considering a 2017 MKZ for my highway car but this whole episode was giving me cause for concern against that possibility and that I might actually walk away from Ford altogether! That seemed to trigger something and the conversation turned. The agent indicated all he could do was submit the case to “engineering” for consideration and ask why Canadian cars were not included in the recall and emphasize that loss of connectivity would disadvantage Canadian customers. After a few more minutes of confirming this I took a case number from him and concluded the phone call. Had I not been a work I think I would have screamed in frustration!

The next day by mid-morning I received a flurry of calls from various Ford offices, most importantly from an agent who did not identify his group but confirmed that ”engineering” agreed that the 15N04 recall did apply to my car and that a recall letter would be issued. Moments later my dealer service called to make the appointment and literally as I hung up on that call the customer satisfaction agent called to tell me I would be receiving the recall and my dealer would call me shortly to make an appointment. It was rather a relief but soured by the effort that had to be expended and the utter inane stupidity encountered along the way. The appointment was scheduled for 30 Nov and the car was dropped off the night before as my wife would be busy that morning and could not drive me back to work after a morning drop-off. So all seemed well but of course that would prove not to be the case. Early Wednesday afternoon the dealership service desk calls saying that the part had not arrived but would be in later in the afternoon and so the work could not be done until Thurs 1 Dec. Could I leave the car or would we need to make another appointment? To say the least I was not a happy BEV owner and let them know of my disappointment that almost 3 weeks after making the appointment the required part was not available as scheduled. I also pointed out my disappointment that the car had not been plugged in overnight as I had requested at drop-off as the temperature was forecast to and in fact did drop below 0C. Many profuse apologies followed and an explanation that the car was kept indoors overnight as the one EVSE they had was being used by another car – my guess is a stock C-Max or Fusion Energi. Nevertheless I agreed to leave the car overnight and reminded them it would have to be charged for me to have sufficient range to get him home after the work was completed. Finally true to their word the recall was done yesterday morning and I was advised just after 1:00 pm. I received a text and app notification that he was fully charged by about 2:30 pm. I picked up Montgomery at the end of the day finally bringing this wholly unnecessary and sordid ordeal to an end but having lost a lot of respect for both my dealership and Ford itself.

I hope everyone else has a better experience with this than have I.

Thanks and Cheers

Carl

Took mine in for the recall today. I made an appointment about a week ago, and the service writer said he wasn't sure which modem my car had, but he would order "both modems" to ensure the right one would be there for my car. Dropped the car off this morning. About 5:00 PM, get a call my car is ready. When I go to pick it up, they tell me that I will have to bring the car back because they have to order the part. I asked why they hadn't already ordered it, and he said because he had to get the ESN number from the existing modem. I asked why that had taken all day, and he told me "because the modem is in the back, under the speakers (huh???) and is hard to get to". When I asked about what modems had been ordered for my car when I made my appointment, he said nothing had been ordered, that they had to see the car first. So, and entire day wasted without the car, and nothing done. Plus, I'll need to take it back again for them to actually do the work.

Second time with Ford service, and so far, not impressed. Appreciate the effort Ford is making to take care of us with this service action (it's not a recall, by the way), but the dealers need to do a better job of implementing it.

While I was at the dealer, wandered over to the Chevy dealer next door. No Bolts yet, expecting the first ones in a couple of weeks. I gave them my contact info, hopefully will get an extended test drive once they start arriving.

Keith

Cpwl - Carl - You reminded me of some horrible phone calls with Ford customer service - the corporate version. Thank you for that terrible memory. I'm sorry you had to go through all that nonsense. They are an obtuse group.

Well, the new used car goes to my local dealer for the six outstanding recalls - modem being one of them. I called on Friday afternoon, the dealer can get me in Tuesday next week. The first question they asked me, do I need a loaner car? Normally that's reserved for cars purchased at this dealership - I didn't buy this used car from them. Still giving me the benefit of being a long standing customer. They do know me well from the unique service problems we had with the original FFE. And they are a certified EV dealer. Right now the only dealer in the Chicago are to have an inbound 2017 FFE.

They did warn me, door latch recall, can't do that yet, no parts.

I'm hopeful the work will be done easily.

I supplied my dealer with pictures of the info screens (including the ESN in 2 places) based on the information found here. Hopefully that speeds the process. I expect to hear something next week.

Clearly, Ford dealers / service departments are not quipped to handle this car. It's so rare (especially outside the CARB states) that you really have to be patient and try and work with them. Mine appreciated that I knew this process from others with the car. Ford isn't helping them much. . .

Same story on the high voltage harness work. I knew more than they did, thanks to this community.

just a thought do we know for sure the new modem is 3g? I don't recall seeing this documented anywhere. I was wondering if we actually know it's a 3g modem or just assumed.

triangles said:
just a thought do we know for sure the new modem is 3g? I don't recall seeing this documented anywhere. I was wondering if we actually know it's a 3g modem or just assumed.
I guess if they were smart it would be LTE. Now that you mention it, not sure if it is 3G.

mchafs said:
After 15N04 new modem install (one trip, 4 hours w/ power control software upgrade), all worked well except that Value Charge Profiles fail to sync on MFM ("Value Charge Profiles have failed to sync"). All other MFM functions work, I can query the car via MFM, etc. It has been suggested to uninstall the car from MFM and re-install. If I uninstall the car from MFM and re-install will I lose all of the trip and mileage history?
OK modem upgrade update! To restore Value Charge Sync function tried uninstalling and re-installing car in MFM. Re-install verification worked and history was retained but did not fix problem.
Ford support escalated to the engineering team who advised pulling Fuse F1 and re-installing. No change. Car very reliably reports location and status to the web app., when first parked and plugged in for example, but web queries through MFM for status update work intermittently and Value Charge Sync function never works. It seems that web queries for status update may work when car is first parked but not later. I noticed a forum post reporting that a replacement modem was going into "sleep mode" when it was not supposed to? In that case replacement fixed. Another post said that Ford support did something at their end in MFM that fixed. Another cycled Fuse F1 and that fixed. Another cycled the modem cable and that fixed (sounds similar to a power reset). Seems like a common problem without a definitive solution.

Are many experiencing this partial functionality after a 15N04 modem replacement and how was it ultimately resolved?

mchafs said:
Another post said that Ford support did something at their end in MFM that fixed

That would be me lol. I had a lot of stuff going on with regards to MFM communication issues with the car. Went through a lot of running back and forth between the computer and the car to try stuff out. Ultimately, when the web version of MFM wouldn't transfer GO Times to the car is when Ford kicked it up to their web developers. I really don't know what Ford did on their side, BUT it was during that time that I had the dealer update SYNC to v3.10. That is where I would suggest you start.

Robert123 said:
mchafs said:
Another post said that Ford support did something at their end in MFM that fixed

That would be me lol. I had a lot of stuff going on with regards to MFM communication issues with the car. Went through a lot of running back and forth between the computer and the car to try stuff out. Ultimately, when the web version of MFM wouldn't transfer GO Times to the car is when Ford kicked it up to their web developers. I really don't know what Ford did on their side, BUT it was during that time that I had the dealer update SYNC to v3.10. That is where I would suggest you start.
I upgraded last summer to SYNC2 V3.8 which Ford Sync website claims is the latest version for 2014 FFE. Further experimentation shows that the modem (Telematics unit) has no problem pushing car info. to the MFM server, it's when you try and sync from the MFM that it fails. Manually updating status from MFM works OK once, then times out on subsequent attempts. I wonder if they have a maximum number of requests coded in. Overall it sounds like either the Telematics unit can talk to the car controller (BCU or whatever), but maybe not to the Microsoft Sync computer, or an MFM problem where Ford probably has to update the new modem IMEI/MEID number in MFM. Waiting to hear back from them.

I haven't been able to upgrade for 2 years because I experienced issues with the upgrade process.

MFM and Sync work flawlessly :lol:

My car has been at the dealer for a full day now (very long list of recalls). Not sure what is going on, haven't heard from them. Don't really need the car, so that's just fine.

When signing the car in, I asked the service rep to verify my Sync version and update it if it is out of date. He looked at me like I was crazy. Like I was a real live honest to goodness alien. He said, are you having a problem with Sync? I said, well no, I don't really know. Are you having a problem with Sync? No I guess not. He closed the subject - leave it alone, don't update it, change it, touch it, if it is working. Don't do it.

I think they have had so many problem with Sync and any updates pushed to them, they just don't want to mess with it at all.

Don't go looking for trouble updating Sync.

awefulspeller said:
I haven't been able to upgrade for 2 years because I experienced issues with the upgrade process.

MFM and Sync work flawlessly :lol:
It was not the update to V3.8 that caused the problem, everything worked fine before and after. It was changing the modem (TCU) that has caused the failure of value profile sync. The modem had to be replaced because the AT&T 2G network is being decommissioned after Dec. 31.

Mine goes in Friday morning for the modem. I provided the ESN, and they were able to get the part without having to touch the car.

Finally talked to my dealer - they decided to keep the car while they ordered the modem. It is supposed to be in on Thursday. So, three day job to do what should have taken an afternoon.

Back