How do I reprogram my key fob so that my car will start?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liberty First

I hope someone can help with this dilemma.

The battery in my key fob appeared to be running low as my doors would not lock using the fob.

I replaced the button battery with the correct battery and now my car won't start.

I get a gold error light in the lower left of driver's instrument panel shaped like a horseshoe. I also get a red outline triangle with the message inside something like brake safely now.

The electric motor wil not start nor will the green indicator light for the electric motor light up.

I've looked the car over and have yet to find a reset button.

I hope someone can shed light on this dilemma and/or direct me to a reprogramming step-by-step process.

Please remember to vote like our nation and our liberty depended on it...for they surely do!!!

Peace

AFAIK, reprogramming should not be necessary. Possibly some source of interference cropped up coincidentally after you replaced the battery?

"Note: Large metallic objects, electronic devices that are used to
purchase gasoline or similar items, or a second coded key on the same
key chain may cause vehicle starting issues. You need to prevent these
objects from touching the coded key while starting the vehicle. These
objects will not cause damage to the coded key, but may cause a
momentary issue if they are too close to the key when starting the
vehicle. If a problem occurs, turn the ignition off, remove all objects on
the key chain away from the coded key and restart the vehicle."

On another Ford forum, some have complained of intermittent starting problems with IA keys seemingly caused by cell phone RF interference (phone and key in close proximity).

Since you've replaced the fob battery, do any of the other IA key functions work (lock/unlock, remote start)?
Will the car fully start with the key fob next to the backup sensor on the steering column?
Did the error message say "Stop safely now" ? If so, maybe this problem has nothing to do with the key. See the long SSN thread on this site - your car might need to have some recall work done.

Back