For more rear storage, ditch the inserts...both of them.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NightHawk said:
I just got my own Oxford White 2014 FFE delivered right to my home garage from a Ford dealer today. Been playing with everything to maximize cargo space all afternoon - I also took out that "cargo management system" and lowered the rear seats.
Congrats on your new FFE!. Since we have the same model-year/production-run (plus, the same color!), can you tell me how your cargo area appeared on delivery? Mine was completely empty, except for the "box" part, and I know they gave me an EVSE cable from another car. Here's an image from Ford, showing the cargo management system with the foam insert, including the tire mobility kit from a new 2015 model (again, mine was empty):

CMS.jpg

2015 Ford Focus Electric cargo area (source: Ford)

studio460 said:
Congrats on your new FFE!. Since we have the same model-year/production-run (plus, the same color!), can you tell me how your cargo area appeared on delivery? Mine was completely empty, except for the "box" part, and I know they gave me an EVSE cable from another car. Here's an image from Ford, showing the cargo management system with the foam insert, including the tire mobility kit from a new 2015 model (again, mine was empty):

CMS.jpg

Mine looked like that photo, it had both the tire mobility kit and charger neatly in there, didn't appear to have been touched.
When I first went to the dealer Sunday night I specifically asked them about the tire mobility kit and they hunt to find where it was stored - and it was right there under all the cargo management thingi (that I have now removed for more storage space).
There was also a plastic coated instruction sheet with the tire mobility kit back there.
The only thing missing in mine was the added accessory 120v charger cable bag that is listed on the window sticker price sheet as a $60 add on. I'd don't really need it, but have emailed the dealer to look for it if they have one around.

I also noted my particular FFE must have just arrived at the dealer very recently, they hadn't gotten a photo of it on their website last weekend while the other ones in stock did. Checking the VIN number's last 6 digits (the production number) seemed to verify that since my VIN is a much bigger production number than the other FFEs in stock there and at some other dealers in the area. I think I may have gotten one of the newest ones around here, certainly in white color.

NightHawk said:
studio460 said:

CMS.jpg

Mine looked like that photo, it had both the tire mobility kit and charger neatly in there, didn't appear to have been touched.
When I first went to the dealer Sunday night I specifically asked them about the tire mobility kit and they hunt to find where it was stored - and it was right there under all the cargo management thingi (that I have now removed for more storage space).
There was also a plastic coated instruction sheet with the tire mobility kit back there.
The only thing missing in mine was the added accessory 120v charger cable bag that is listed on the window sticker price sheet as a $60 add on. I'd don't really need it, but have emailed the dealer to look for it if they have one around.

I also noted my particular FFE must have just arrived at the dealer very recently, they hadn't gotten a photo of it on their website last weekend while the other ones in stock did. Checking the VIN number's last 6 digits (the production number) seemed to verify that since my VIN is a much bigger production number than the other FFEs in stock there and at some other dealers in the area. I think I may have gotten one of the newest ones around here, certainly in white color.
Google "Ford ETIS" and key in your VIN to see your build date. The date is formatted DD/MM/YY.

JimB_FFE said:
Interesting. I opted for a L2 EVSE that is a bit more portable than the one you carry around. :lol:

NightHawk said:
I actually use mine to hold my ClipperCreek LCS-25P. Since it gets moved back and forth between the FFE and the i3 depending on who is going to need it, having it in the cable bag makes life a bit easier.

I finally removed that little foam insert holding the fix-a-flat thingy and the OEM L1. Now I can fit all three items in there:
  • Fix-a-flat thingy
    OEM L1
    Clipper Creek LCS-25P + Campground adapter
trunkwclippercreek.jpg

Neat, Didn't realize the rear seats folded up like that. Still at 6'7" I drive a 3 seater anyway and the seat folded up like that probably would result in having my knees in my teeth at a hard stop.

Who's the clown who designed the rear deck in this car. If you try to remove it, you need to push it over the top of the headrests or worse, remove the head rests, to get it out, Then with the seats folded down, It's too deep to lay flat and takes up valuable space. I'm not impressed by this layout and the versatility. Love the car, Me myself and I get along great in it. Gets more challenging ina hurry with kids, Beach umbrellas and a couple deck chairs though.

H

twscrap said:
JimB_FFE said:
Full album:
NightHawk said:
I actually use mine to hold my ClipperCreek LCS-25P. Since it gets moved back and forth between the FFE and the i3 depending on who is going to need it, having it in the cable bag makes life a bit easier.

Can you please post a photo of the Ford accessory charging cable bag so I can know exactly what it looks like and can then show my dealer since it was missing on my car?

Lithium said:
Who's the clown who designed the rear deck in this car. If you try to remove it, you need to push it over the top of the headrests or worse, remove the head rests, to get it out
H
Today I figured out how to remove the rear cargo area privacy cover easily going out the back, just had to tilt it a bit and then get one side down in the cargo area then it would be diagonal and come out the back easily.
I've been taking it out and then deciding to put it back in the last couple days, probably just take it out and leave it in my garage if I know I need extra cargo height back there for something that day, but leave it in normally since I can fit grocery bags no problem under it in the back with the cargo management thing removed (I'm not putting that back in just leaving it stored in my garage for now).

Nighthawk wrote:
Can you please post a photo of the Ford accessory charging cable bag so I can know exactly what it looks like and can then show my dealer since it was missing on my car?

Could this be it?
http://accessories.ford.com/carry-case.html

JimB_FFE said:
Nighthawk wrote:

Could this be it?
http://accessories.ford.com/carry-case.html

Probably. But that looks like a hard case rather than a "charge cord bag" as its listed on the window sticker price list on the vehicle. I imagined a "bag" would be like a soft cloth rather than a hard case?
Is it really a hard case?

NightHawk said:
Mine looked like that photo, it had both the tire mobility kit and charger neatly in there, didn't appear to have been touched . . . When I first went to the dealer Sunday night I specifically asked them about the tire mobility kit and they hunt to find where it was stored - and it was right there under all the cargo management thingi (that I have now removed for more storage space).
Duh! I didn't know it was under the cargo thingie. My tire mobility kit and foam insert was there all along (but missing the original EVSE--they gave me an EVSE from another vehicle on the day I bought it--I thought that's how it came). I did manage to get my sales guy to throw in a bag (yes, that's it), cargo net, and a pair of factory rear splash guards because I kept whining about how I left $400 on the table. Pretty nice guy. They had to order everything, but it will all be here tomorrow.

NightHawk said:
Today I figured out how to remove the rear cargo area privacy cover easily going out the back, just had to tilt it a bit and then get one side down in the cargo area then it would be diagonal and come out the back easily.
Been thinking of deleting that cover as well--the whole thing came out accidentally today. Can't wait for this weekend to play around with my cargo area. I actually like the idea of using the charging bag, since I don't want the EVSE rattling around by itself (even though it's more of a hassle).

Last night I folded the seat-bottoms forward (didn't know they could do that either), removed all headrests, and folded down both rear seats. I was originally planning on just deleting the rear seats, but there's so much room with them just folded, I may keep them. I plan to throw a bunch of aluminum equipment cases in there when I go on (local) photo shoots. It's a surprising amount of room.

studio460 said:
. . . I did manage to get my sales guy to throw in a bag (yes, that's it), cargo net, and a pair of factory rear splash guards . . .
I ordered the ones for a "four-door." I'm assuming we need the ones for the "five-door." Didn't realize they also made front splash guards. Will order both sets tomorrow.

BM5Z-16A550-C (4/5-door, front)
BM5Z-16A550-A (5-door, rear)

studio460 said:
studio460 said:
. . . I did manage to get my sales guy to throw in a bag (yes, that's it), cargo net, and a pair of factory rear splash guards . . .
I ordered the ones for a "four-door." I'm assuming we need the ones for the "five-door." Didn't realize they also made front splash guards. Will order both sets tomorrow.

BM5Z-16A550-C (4/5-door, front)
BM5Z-16A550-A (5-door, rear)

Yeah I would assume the 5door means the Hatchback models vs a 4door sedan?

I was kidding the dealer the day I was down there about the advertising claiming it could seat five people.
That middle rear seat could barely fit a small child - try to sit there and see how tiny the width between the seat belt is in that position! Plus with to bigger adults on the left and right rear seat you need to spread your legs outward and take up that center area...

JimB_FFE said:
. . . I realized that the foam insert that held the Tire Mobility Kit and travel charger was taking up valuable space as well. The challenge there was to keep the added contents from rattling around back there. The solution was to line the hard plastic well with a chunk of indoor-outdoor carpeting . . . I also removed the three rear headrests as that makes folding the seats down so much quicker. Also improves visibility.
Some good ideas there, Jim, and thanks for linking your pictures. I just deleted my headrests as well and am enjoying the improved rearward visibility. I also want to improve the function of the cargo/rear-seat area, since I don't ever plan on taking more than one passenger. I flipped the rear seats up and tried fitting a foam-rubber door mat from Home Depot as a protective padded layer. I think I'll lay two side-by-side:

INT-rearseat1.png

I completely removed the cargo management container, and fit two equipment cases in there instead. This is how I had envisioned carrying these even before I bought the car, and am very happy that they fit side-by-side. The privacy cover hides them from view when closed:

INT-cargo1.png

Got a cargo liner that fits my 2016 Electric Focus almost perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH8QGW4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Back