Trading 2012 Volt for 2014 FFE, Any issues or problems????

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KamikazeKunze

Hey all,

I plan on trading my 2012 Chevy Volt for a 2014 Focus Electric (28k miles) at a local Ford dealer in Denver.
Are they any issues or problems I should be aware of?
I can't imagine there are any deal breakers but I thought I'd check before I took the leap?
Any battery degradation? Also, how would I check the degradation?
Thanks so much!

Make sure they work the open recalls prior to delivery. I think the 2014's were included in the big wiring harness/plug recalls, which means they'll have the car for 4-6 weeks.

Only way I know of to check for battery degradation is to run the battery flat from a full charge. There is a setting that will show the kWh used on the dash(you reset it when it's charged). From what I've seen on here from other people it's about 19-19.5kWh when new. I don't like to put unnecessary wear and tear on my battery so I rarely let it run completely down.

In addition to the recall mentioned above, there are currently two new recalls, one for the door latches and the other to replace the wireless modem (2g to 3g upgrade). These parts aren't available yet but should be in the next few months so these recalls can't be done yet.

ATL-FFE said:
Make sure they work the open recalls prior to delivery. I think the 2014's were included in the big wiring harness/plug recalls, which means they'll have the car for 4-6 weeks.
That's only if they find a problem and need to send the battery back to Detroit for repairs. They performed that recall on my car in a couple hours.

KamikazeKunze said:
I plan on trading my 2012 Chevy Volt for a 2014 Focus Electric (28k miles) at a local Ford dealer in Denver.
Are they any issues or problems I should be aware of?
I can't imagine there are any deal breakers but I thought I'd check before I took the leap?
Any battery degradation? Also, how would I check the degradation?

Oh, the black one in Northglenn, looks like it will go for about $9k if it was a cash deal, not too bad. (I'm afraid to say it, but my 2016 Focus Electric's resale value has really plummeted since the latest Focus E. and Leaf's range numbers are 100+ miles, up from my 76 miles.)

You could look at the range in miles displayed after you see it's been plugged in overnight to get it full. However, my experience has been it can read high, so that's not the best way to do it. You could drive it until it gets down to about 20 miles left on the Range display, then charge it at a ChargePoint public charger, where they send you an email about how much kWH it took. Then, with 20 miles left on the range display, you should have a ChargePoint amount to fill it back up of about 17 kWH (3 hours), but tolerate down to 15 kWH.

Thank you for all of the replies. I really appreciate them.
I'll be looking at it tomorrow, I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks

Back