Two year, 42,000 mile review

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qflyer

Two years ago, I purchased a new 2014 FFE for my wife to use as her daily driver. She drives 50-55 miles per day, 5 days per week. We also use the car for running errands, visiting friends/family, etc. If the trip is within the car's range, we use it. We now have 42,000 miles on the car.

Overall, the car has been fantastic. My wife and I both enjoy driving the car, and have been impressed with electric over gas. The 76 mile range was initially not a significant factor for us as all of our typical trips are within that limitation. Her daily commute is mostly interstate, and she sets the cruise on 65. She does not limit heat or AC use at all. She keeps the car cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

When we were shopping, we had narrowed the field down to the FFE, Mazda 3, or Chevy Cruze diesel. I paid $30,000 for the FFE minus $7,500 credit = 22,500. The Chevy would have been a couple thousand more, the Mazda would have been about the same. The Chevy was never a real contender because my wife didn't like it. So ultimately the choice was between the FFE and Mazda. The Mazda advertised about 30 mpg.

Now the downsides...According to KBB, my FFE is only worth $8,700. A Mazda 3 would still be worth $15,300. That's a huge negative on the FFE, and I'm sure my already worthless car will be even more worthless now that the Bolt is here and the Tesla 3 is just around the corner.

Last winter, my wife made it home from work with 6-10 miles remaining on several occasions. Those days were extremely cold for the SE, with temps in the single digits. Like I said, she doesn't ride around with the heater turned off. We've already seen a significant drop in actual range as the battery ages, so I believe this winter will be the first time she'll be forced to limit her heat usage. We are now also forced to take the "slow" way to visit family. We used to take the interstate, but now have to use country roads to stretch the range enough to make it without having to charge before coming home. If the battery fades as quickly between 40,000 to 60,000 miles as it did from 20,000 to 40,000, the car will be virtually unusable for my purposes within another year, maybe two. I'll still have a payment for one year after that.

After running all the numbers (fuel savings, oil changes, electricity costs, chargers, etc etc) I've lost about $4,600 by purchasing the FFE instead of a Mazda 3. If I lived somewhere that had expensive utility rates, it would be way way worse. Considering that I bought the car to save money, I have to say that I regret buying the FFE. I should have leased or just bought a gasser.

Luckily for me, my wife is planning to quit her job next year, so the FFE will become a grocery getter and not much else. I should be able to make the car work, with several limitations, for many years to come, and not have worry about resale value. We'll drive it until the wheels fall off. Had she stayed at work, I'd be looking at a new car in a year or two and taking a big loss on the FFE.

I hate to say that the FFE has turned me off to electric cars, but it kind of has. Unfortunately, battery fade has already caused us to alter our driving habits, and within a year we'll have to take my gas burner on many of the trips we use the FFE for now. A car shouldn't depreciate faster than a new computer or iPhone.

This is great info! So as to charging cycles, it looks like you dropped the car to about 25-30% battery capacity and then fully charged it at least five days per week?

Thanks for your experience. I am sorry to hear that the experience has left negative feeling towards electric vehicles. You basically ended up as an early adopter which often do not see the full reward on a maturing technology. Electric vehicles do have a lower operating cost which was the selling point for you. The problem with the first generation vehicles is low range and high cost. The early adopter premium, even with the federal tax credit was not a good bet. I think the second generation vehicles (which will either give you long range or a cheap price) will start to see better value.

The first generation do give some environment cred, but if these vehicle only have a 5-6 year life they will likely lose on this score as well. A lot will depend on the price and availability of battery replacement. I am not optimistic about this for the FFE. The Leaf has more units on the road and may do better.

I think these cars were a necessary step to getting good, viable electrics on the road. It is one of the reasons I leased so I could get out cheap if needed. I am now agonizing over whether to keep it has a significantly reduced price or let it go. I hate the idea that these vehicles may end up sitting idle in obsolescence. They are good short range commuter vehicles but this has little market appeal beyond a small niche.

I'm sorry to hear that it's turning out to be a negative experience.

Hopefully some future readers will see your comment:
qflyer said:
... I should have leased or just bought a gasser.
and take it to heart before the purchase.

It doesn't help you right now, but my guess is that the buyback on the lease would have been about that amount too.

The advantage of leasing is that it offsets an amount of the vehicle until the end of the lease, giving buyers a chance to have an extended test drive with lower payments between. At the end of the lease, it's up to the driver to decide if it's worth keeping the car or if it's the dealer's issue. If the car companies are going to continue to use their ICE selling model, we may as well use it to our advantage with their discounts and rate savings. I had never leased a car in my life (as I don't believe in it for ICE's and our lifestyle), but the math made too much sense on my FFE.

Unfortunately, at this point EV's must be thought of as a "tech" purchase and you must look 3+ years into the future to figure out if the car will be worth anything. As you have found, with EV's, the used car market is nowhere near what an ICE comparable would be. The "first generation" are unlikely to make it to 10-15 years old. No one wants to buy an iPhone 5 when the iPhone 7 just hit the market (forgetting about planned obsolescence - that hasn't cropped into the EV market yet).

Buyers be ware... consider your new shiny EV is worthless in the used market after you're done with it, so work the math accordingly to value the car at zero by the end of your use.

(none of this relates to Tesla's)

again, sorry to hear about it, but please keep running the math with other vehicles like the 2017 Volt with the amazing full battery mileage.

qflyer said:
I hate to say that the FFE has turned me off to electric cars, but it kind of has. Unfortunately, battery fade has already caused us to alter our driving habits,

Thanks for posting your views after a couple years of ownership. Could you be more specific about battery fade? What's your warm weather range down to? It's not cold enough yet but I'm curious as to what you're range is this winter when it's cold. I've had mine slightly less than two years and have not noticed any fade yet. Although I have tens of thousands fewer miles.

I have a couple more questions, I realize this could be misconstrued as a personal attack from an EV fanboi, because how dare you say something negative about EVs! :lol: I'm genuinely curious as to what your though/expectations were when buying, not trying to sound like an ass. Were you aware that the range would decrease with age and use? Also you seemed surprised the car hasn't held value comparable to an ICE car. What were your expectations with regard to resale value over time?

If you're finding that the range is an issue, then I can see how the FFE would become disappointing. Honestly, if tomorrow I took a new job out of the range that the FFE can reliably travel, I too would not be happy. However, that is one of the chances I took. I figured that even if I could only achieve half the range, the car would still work for me....at my current work-place. Some people at work will ask questions about the car and the cost of ownership. One of my frequent comments is, "I bought the car because I wanted it." There is no dispute to that. Kind of goes along with the "tech purchase" comment by Jamez.

Anyway, here are some of my concerns/likes/dislikes

-Concern: With the few number of FFEs compared to Leaf and/or others, will the battery be an expensive replacement come time to swap it out.
-Concern: Although I'm saving money on maintenance, I'm concerned about electrical or other mechanical failures that may occur. With the limited scope of understanding by the dealers, repair costs my well exceed maintenance and repair costs of ICE cars.
-Dislikes: back seat leg room. I'm tall, so I scoot my seat all the way back when I have to take more than one of the kids some place. But with that said, the car is manageable even if I have to scoot the front seat up a considerable distance.
-Dislikes: I wish I could disable the heater. The heater can come on and drain power at a significant rate when the climate control tries to maintain a set temperature. I wouldn't care if the A/C had to stay off for a bit to raise the temperature back to the set point
-Dislikes: Low resistance tires are not my favorite for driving in wet/damp conditions. They also wear faster.
-Dislikes: Had an SSN occurance and had to be towed to the dealer. 40 days in the shop, but no issues since.
-Likes: Fun to drive. Lots of torque; fast off of the line. Fast response time from accelerator pedal. Steering seems good too.
-Likes: Not having to worry about oil changes or brake jobs. After 37k miles, brake pads are practically new.
-Likes: Audio system. I'm no audiophile, but to me, my 2012 sounds better than any other car I've driven....and I'm not very particular for Sony either.

I'm sure I'm missing somethings, but that's the major ones.

As for battery fade, after 4 years and 37k miles, I think I'm down 10-12%. Even ff I'm down 15% every 4 years, I'd still be in good shape for the life of the car for me. (76 to 64.6 to 54.9 to 46.7-after 16 years).

Back