Sunroof install

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angellt

Hi, just got a 2012 FFE and really wanted a sunroof. So, I'm currently getting a Webasto TVS 900 series sunroof installed. Got the idea from this guy that got it done with his Nissan Leaf: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8828

After my research, some people seem to have concerns about aftermarket sunroof leakage, but the newer ones appear to have zero problems - the owner of the Leaf posts 3 years later (2012-15) that his sunroof is still going strong with no problems. The shop installing mine says to just bring it in every year for maintenance checks and my lifetime warranty will be intact.

Install pics:

Installed:

Sorry no open pics because the installer said the glue for the rubber trim needs to cure before opening. I'll post more pics of it open later.

campfamily said:
How much did this cost to have installed? I really miss not having a sunroof
$1600 installed, before tax.

Notes:
  • There are 4 drain tubes running from each corner of the sunroof down to each corner of the car's body to drain any water down to the ground. That is what needs to be checked every year to prevent leaks.
  • They re-used the same cloth from the headliner they cutout, which makes the finishout look factory.
  • The installer has never had one of these come back due to manufacturer defects over the many years he's been installing them. There was a recall back in 2013-ish but the manufacturer covered all the recall costs. It's been fixed since.
  • The 900 series is a 2 piece, and there is a duct running down the middle to catch water. You can actually leave the sunroof tilted open while it's raining and the water will run into the ducts, through to the tubes and out to the ground.
  • The sunroof shade has vents, so you can keep it closed while the sunroof itself is tilted open. This way you can vent a parked hot car whilst still blocking the actual heat rays from the sun.
  • I chose to install the sunroof controls to the left of the sunglass holder since I didn't want to cannibalize it.

It has rained Texas style cats and dogs several times so far, no problems at all.

Closeup of the 2 panel joint & seal after a rain for the curious.

Nice! A sunroof and foglights are the missing things from the FFE. Gotta wait for next year's tax refund :)

Back