ajolley

Trunk Cover Hinge Broken

Mon May 23, 2016 7:00 pm

My car is about 9 months old now, and I've broken both of the hinges on the flimsy cardboard trunk cover. Its really just a cheap plactic piece that holds the cardboard cover on the little axles so that the back stays down while the front lifts up and down So now it won't stay in place and moves around and keeps me from actually closing my trunk unless I hold it in place while closing. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how can I reinforce this hinge thing so that it doesn't happen again? Would this be covered under warranty?

campfamily

Re: Trunk Cover Hinge Broken

Mon May 23, 2016 7:20 pm

ajolley wrote:My car is about 9 months old now, and I've broken both of the hinges on the flimsy cardboard trunk cover. Its really just a cheap plactic piece that holds the cardboard cover on the little axles so that the back stays down while the front lifts up and down So now it won't stay in place and moves around and keeps me from actually closing my trunk unless I hold it in place while closing. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how can I reinforce this hinge thing so that it doesn't happen again? Would this be covered under warranty?
I believe it would be covered under warranty. I had them replace one of my floormats that was coming apart, this seems to be similar (cheap materials / poor design).

Having said that, I'm surprised that this is happening. Mine isn't showing any type of wear or damage in that area. Course, having said that, watch mine break tomorrow!! :-(
GONE - 2015 FFE, Magnetic with leather interior, debadged & tinted
38,500 miles (since May 2015), average 246 Wh/mile

REPLACED WITH - 2018 Tesla Model3, LR RWD, Obsidian Black
11,000 miles (since Nov 2018), average 235 Wh/mile

WattsUp

Mon May 23, 2016 7:22 pm

ajolley wrote:how can I reinforce this hinge thing so that it doesn't happen again? Would this be covered under warranty?
I guess you could try to take it to the dealer and see if they will help you.

But, what have you been doing? :? -- closing it over things that don't really fit under it, stressing the hinges? Or, taking it in and out a lot?

With mine, yeah, I've noticed that it is somewhat delicate, but it's doing fine after three years. Then again, I am careful not to stress it.
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

scottt
Site Moderator

Tue May 24, 2016 4:50 am

campfamily wrote:
I believe it would be covered under warranty. I had them replace one of my floormats that was coming apart, this seems to be similar (cheap materials / poor design).

Having said that, I'm surprised that this is happening. Mine isn't showing any type of wear or damage in that area. Course, having said that, watch mine break tomorrow!! :-(
My driver's floor mat is wearing through as well. Just a tad under 1 year old, 5200 miles on the car. Luckily the dealer is going to replace it.
2015 Magnetic FFE (aka Magneto) - Retired
2017 Kona Blue FFE (aka King Kona) - Current

hybridbear

Tue May 24, 2016 10:24 am

WattsUp wrote:But, what have you been doing? :? -- closing it over things that don't really fit under it, stressing the hinges? Or, taking it in and out a lot?

With mine, yeah, I've noticed that it is somewhat delicate, but it's doing fine after three years. Then again, I am careful not to stress it.
I was wondering the same thing. I am in & out of the hatch at least a dozen times per week and our cover is doing just fine. On occasion something slightly too tall in the back will cause the hinges to pop off, but it's easy to press it back into place.
2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm - leased through 8/15/16
Replaced by a 2016 Tesla Model S 60D

ajolley

Tue May 24, 2016 10:37 am

I don't think I'm doing anything really crazy in the trunk - But I use the trunk several times a day, having 2 kids and all their junk (although the kids don't go in the trunk!). I think it happened both times when I packed the trunk with groceries and maybe one of the bags was too tall. But instead of popping off when something too tall is in there, they ripped off.

damania

Tue May 24, 2016 7:19 pm

on mine one of the plastic pieces that hang on the side broke in the first 3 weeks i had the car.

jmueller065

Wed May 25, 2016 3:23 am

I took mine out, threw it in the basement, and put it back just before I returned the car at lease end.
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”