Trunk Cover Hinge Broken

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajolley

My car is about 9 months old now, and I've broken both of the hinges on the flimsy cardboard trunk cover. Its really just a cheap plactic piece that holds the cardboard cover on the little axles so that the back stays down while the front lifts up and down So now it won't stay in place and moves around and keeps me from actually closing my trunk unless I hold it in place while closing. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how can I reinforce this hinge thing so that it doesn't happen again? Would this be covered under warranty?

ajolley said:
My car is about 9 months old now, and I've broken both of the hinges on the flimsy cardboard trunk cover. Its really just a cheap plactic piece that holds the cardboard cover on the little axles so that the back stays down while the front lifts up and down So now it won't stay in place and moves around and keeps me from actually closing my trunk unless I hold it in place while closing. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how can I reinforce this hinge thing so that it doesn't happen again? Would this be covered under warranty?

I believe it would be covered under warranty. I had them replace one of my floormats that was coming apart, this seems to be similar (cheap materials / poor design).

Having said that, I'm surprised that this is happening. Mine isn't showing any type of wear or damage in that area. Course, having said that, watch mine break tomorrow!! :-(

ajolley said:
how can I reinforce this hinge thing so that it doesn't happen again? Would this be covered under warranty?
I guess you could try to take it to the dealer and see if they will help you.

But, what have you been doing? :? -- closing it over things that don't really fit under it, stressing the hinges? Or, taking it in and out a lot?

With mine, yeah, I've noticed that it is somewhat delicate, but it's doing fine after three years. Then again, I am careful not to stress it.

campfamily said:
I believe it would be covered under warranty. I had them replace one of my floormats that was coming apart, this seems to be similar (cheap materials / poor design).

Having said that, I'm surprised that this is happening. Mine isn't showing any type of wear or damage in that area. Course, having said that, watch mine break tomorrow!! :-(

My driver's floor mat is wearing through as well. Just a tad under 1 year old, 5200 miles on the car. Luckily the dealer is going to replace it.

WattsUp said:
But, what have you been doing? :? -- closing it over things that don't really fit under it, stressing the hinges? Or, taking it in and out a lot?

With mine, yeah, I've noticed that it is somewhat delicate, but it's doing fine after three years. Then again, I am careful not to stress it.
I was wondering the same thing. I am in & out of the hatch at least a dozen times per week and our cover is doing just fine. On occasion something slightly too tall in the back will cause the hinges to pop off, but it's easy to press it back into place.

I don't think I'm doing anything really crazy in the trunk - But I use the trunk several times a day, having 2 kids and all their junk (although the kids don't go in the trunk!). I think it happened both times when I packed the trunk with groceries and maybe one of the bags was too tall. But instead of popping off when something too tall is in there, they ripped off.

on mine one of the plastic pieces that hang on the side broke in the first 3 weeks i had the car.

Back