Who can't see Wh/mi in the MyFord Mobile Trip Log?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replacing the TCU had no impact. The dealer contacted the Ford engineer after determining this today and he was in meetings all day. The SA is going to get in touch with him tomorrow to focus on what else they can try.

One additional data point which I shared with the SA is something that I just noticed. All trips with a "--" Brake Score show a glitch in the Trip Summary when turning off the car. Sometimes the Brake Score flashes between the actual score & 0%. Anytime this happens the Brake Score in MFM says "--".

Does anyone else notice this?

I went through a bunch of hassle with the Ford people, spending a half dozen trips to the dealer which also included replacement of the TCU to absolutely no avail.

I fixed the problem myself by starting up a completely new myfordmobile account and assigning my car to it. The halfway measures of deleting the car from my account and then re-assigning, or of doing resets did not help.

The only downside is that I lost all my history, small price to pay to get things working again.

If you get desperate and are willing to delete your history, you could give it a try...

michael said:
I went through a bunch of hassle with the Ford people, spending a half dozen trips to the dealer which also included replacement of the TCU to absolutely no avail.

I fixed the problem myself by starting up a completely new myfordmobile account and assigning my car to it. The halfway measures of deleting the car from my account and then re-assigning, or of doing resets did not help.
So I started down the road of trying this too... I'm currently blocked at step 3 of the registration process (entering mobile number) because myfordmobile.com is giving the following error:

"The mobile number you entered is already in use by a MyFord Mobile account. Please enter a different mobile number."

Presumably the problem is my current MFM account (that is already using that number).

How did you get around this issue? Did you somehow delete your existing MFM account first?

WattsUp said:
How did you get around this issue? Did you somehow delete your existing MFM account first?
When I attempted this I was able to clear that error by going into my existing MFM account and changing the phone # to something else (your wife's cell, your landline, etc.).

There is a way to completely delete your MFM account: Log into MFM in a browser, go to "My Account" and press the "Delete Account" button on the lower left bottom (just below "Password Change" and the "Auto Update" switch).

Interesting idea. I can't try it right now because I've granted the Ford Engineer access to our car in MFM with an account he created so I can't go deleting things right now. I can potentially suggest these steps via e-mail to the SA to share with the Ford Engineer.

There are now three teams of Ford engineers working on solving this issue, according to the SA. The general Ford engineer that was contacted, the MyFord Mobile engineering team and the engineering team that designed the Focus Electric gauges & displays. They expect to have an update for the dealer in 7-10 business days.

I noticed something last week regarding whether the data is corrupted. Sometimes the brake score number on the Trip Summary screen flashes between displaying the correct number and saying 0%. Anytime that happens, the brake score then shows 0% in MyFord Mobile instead of displaying the actual number.

I don't know how this piece of information fits with what the telematics control unit does, but perhaps the issue is with whichever module is supplying the data to be displayed on the left dash screen. It could be that the reason why the TCU communicates bad data to the website is because it is receiving bad data from another module within the car. This is now my current theory.

hybridbear said:
There are now three teams of Ford engineers working on solving this issue, according to the SA. The general Ford engineer that was contacted, the MyFord Mobile engineering team and the engineering team that designed the Focus Electric gauges & displays. They expect to have an update for the dealer in 7-10 business days.
That's good news but, geez, why does it take so long for them to notice something like this isn't working? You'd think they'd be preemptively monitoring and checking things for valid data and expected operation. I know we do this where I work... because we want to find problems before the customer does.

WattsUp said:
hybridbear said:
That's good news but, geez, why does it take so long for them to notice something like this isn't working? You'd think they'd be preemptively monitoring and checking things for valid data and expected operation. I know we do this where I work... because we want to find problems before the customer does.
Yes, but that's why I've been making an effort to get this addressed. With the effort that's being spent on it now by Ford, you & Jamie may be able to also get some progress on this issue as well and help Ford to see that it's a widespread problem. One of the early comments from Ford was that they were not aware of any other FFEs with this issue.

The SA informed me that Ford wants to work with me directly on this issue rather than going through the dealer. So I called the number he provided today and spoke with a MFM representative. She pulled up my case and was able to ask me a few questions that the MFM Engineers have. I also e-mailed to [email protected] the screenshots that I had gathered and previously sent to the dealer which shows what we see in MFM.

I told her about how sometimes the Brake Score on the Trip Summary screen alternates between 0% and the actual value for the trip and how every time that happens the result in MFM is "--" for the Brake Score.

One interesting comment she made while reading the notes back to me is that the MFM Engineering Team recognizes that "scattered Focus Electric vehicles" have this exact issue. Good news is that they are aware of it happening to numerous owners.

Ford is still working on it. Ford Corporate has requested more screenshots from me. I'll send them to them later today or tomorrow. I took a video of how the Brake Score & Regen Miles sometimes don't show correctly on the Trip Summary. When the numbers flash like shown in the video the Brake Score & Regen Miles don't show on MFM.

Does anyone else ever see the issue with the Brake Score flashing like that on the Trip Summary?

The flickering of the Brake Score & Regen Miles on the Trip Summary doesn't seem to be a perfect 1:1 correlation with the missing Brake Score/Driving Score in MyFord Mobile. However, I may have found another possible factor.

Has anyone else noticed that their FFE makes funny sounds sometimes when it's off? For example, with your FFE plugged in to the EVSE & your key far away, use the MFM app to unlock the car. While the app shows that it is communicating with the car we hear the car make a number of noises that sound like contactors closing. After the car makes a few noises the doors unlock & the app updates to show that the doors successfully unlocked.

These same sounds sometimes occur shortly after turning off the FFE. When these sounds happen after turning off the FFE the Brake Score/Driving Score data is not available in MFM. I think these sounds may have a 1:1 correlation with the lack of data in MFM.

The workshop manual describes the process of engaging the HVB when starting the car like this:
High Voltage Circuit - "Ready to Drive" Mode
When the start button is pressed, the Intelligent Access (IA) system verifies the key in use and sends a start request to the PCM , which sends a request to the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) via the Electric Vehicle High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) to close the contactors. The Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) carries out various checks and, if certain criteria are met, commands the contactors to close. For driving, the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) first closes both inter-pack contactors and then the negative contactor. Next, it closes the precharge contactor, followed by the positive contactor. Once the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) confirms that the positive contactor is closed, it opens the precharge contactor. At this point, the vehicle is ready to drive.
I could not find a description of how the contactors open when the car is turned off. I wonder if perhaps sometimes when turning off the car the contactors are disabling too quickly on occasion or if something is causing a data flow interruption on the ICAN which connects the TCU to the rest of the vehicle.

I just discovered on the module map that the vehicle efficiency data flows from the PCM to GWM (Gateway Module A). GWM connects the four networks (EV HS-CAN, HS-CAN, MS-CAN & I-CAN) together. GWM then pushes the vehicle efficiency data to the IPC & TCU. Since the data failure at the IPC does not always match the failure in MyFord Mobile, the issue may be with the flow of data from GWM to the TCU. Because sometimes the Brake Score data flows correctly to the IPC, but not to MFM via the TCU...

hybridbear said:
Has anyone else noticed that their FFE makes funny sounds sometimes when it's off? For example, with your FFE plugged in to the EVSE & your key far away, use the MFM app to unlock the car. While the app shows that it is communicating with the car we hear the car make a number of noises that sound like contactors closing.
It seems that almost any MFM operation (locking doors, checking SOC, etc.) always requests the "complete" status for the car. So, to me, it always made sense that the contactors need to close (and then open shortly later) in order for the car to gauge the SOC, as part of the reporting the car's status to the MFM servers.

To my ear, the "funny sounds" simply seem to be the contactors opening/closing. They are very similar to those you hear just after you turn the car off and get out (presumably, the contactors opening) or just after you plug in (presumably, the contactors closing).

Also, no sounds occur if status is requested via MFM while the car is actively charging. In this case, the contactors would obviously already be closed (and have stayed closed in order to continue charging the battery). Therefore, no sounds.

WattsUp said:
It seems that almost any MFM operation (locking doors, checking SOC, etc.) always requests the "complete" status for the car. So, to me, it always made sense that the contactors need to close (and then open shortly later) in order for the car to gauge the SOC, as part of the reporting the car's status to the MFM servers.
This appears to be the case; at least by watching the network traffic from the web version to Ford's (or whomever's) servers. Just about any activity on the website forces a get status call.

WattsUp said:
hybridbear said:
Has anyone else noticed that their FFE makes funny sounds sometimes when it's off? For example, with your FFE plugged in to the EVSE & your key far away, use the MFM app to unlock the car. While the app shows that it is communicating with the car we hear the car make a number of noises that sound like contactors closing.

To my ear, the "funny sounds" simply seem to be the contactors opening/closing. They are very similar to those you hear just after you turn the car off and get out (presumably, the contactors opening) or just after you plug in (presumably, the contactors closing).

Also, no sounds occur if status is requested via MFM while the car is actively charging. In this case, the contactors would obviously already be closed (and have stayed closed in order to continue charging the battery). Therefore, no sounds.
Excellent summary of the behavior.

Today I drove 3 trips that were long enough for MFM to register them. At the end of the first two I heard contactor noise after shutting off the car & the MFM data is not present for the Brake Score & Driving Score. For the final trip I made tonight I didn't hear any contactor noises when I shut down the car & the data transmitted to MFM correctly.

hybridbear said:
The Ford engineers are actively working on this issue for our car. One of their comments was that they don't have other reports of this issue being common across owners. I want to use this thread to document who else has this issue along with the build date of your car. Also, if you haven't yet reported this issue to Ford, please do so to help them see how many cars have this problem. I'll keep everyone posted on how our situation progresses.

The Ford engineers have requested the information shown below.
-Can we get an idea of the locations that this is occurring (everywhere does not count). Specifically, where does the customer live, and where are the destinations that the information is not being sent. I just need general locations, not addresses.

-Pictures of the same trips from the website, rather than the mobile app. All of the screenshots I received were from some sort of Apple device (phone or tablet). I need these for comparison.

-Type of phone(s) being used, as well as the software level on the phones.

Our car is a 2013 FFE, build date 12/2/2012.

I have the same problem. I just never followed up on it. After the whole "Stop Safely Now" fiasco, and all of the early problems with My Ford Mobile, I guess my expectations of getting real action from Ford got really low.

By the way, my build date shows as "01 15 13" on my window sticker, but Ford Etis shows it as being "23.01.2013".

Who do I contact at Ford to let them know that my car also has this problem?

Arthur said:
hybridbear said:
The Ford engineers are actively working on this issue for our car. One of their comments was that they don't have other reports of this issue being common across owners. I want to use this thread to document who else has this issue along with the build date of your car. Also, if you haven't yet reported this issue to Ford, please do so to help them see how many cars have this problem. I'll keep everyone posted on how our situation progresses.

The Ford engineers have requested the information shown below.
-Can we get an idea of the locations that this is occurring (everywhere does not count). Specifically, where does the customer live, and where are the destinations that the information is not being sent. I just need general locations, not addresses.

-Pictures of the same trips from the website, rather than the mobile app. All of the screenshots I received were from some sort of Apple device (phone or tablet). I need these for comparison.

-Type of phone(s) being used, as well as the software level on the phones.

Our car is a 2013 FFE, build date 12/2/2012.

I have the same problem. I just never followed up on it. After the whole "Stop Safely Now" fiasco, and all of the early problems with My Ford Mobile, I guess my expectations of getting real action from Ford got really low.

By the way, my build date shows as "01 15 13" on my window sticker, but Ford Etis shows it as being "23.01.2013".

Who do I contact at Ford to let them know that my car also has this problem?
You can contact the MyFord Mobile team.
Phone: 800-392-3673; options 1,3,1,2.
E-mail: [email protected]

I turned my FFE in on August 15th when the lease ended. Today I received a voicemail from the MFM team at Ford saying that the engineering team has determined that this issue with be fixed with the new modem for MFM. They told me to contact my dealership & request that the new modem be installed. Doesn't matter much now that my car is in someone else's hands, but I wanted to share for anyone else who has issues with MFM. The message didin't confirm that they are referencing the new 3G modem, but it sure sounded like it.

Back