I installed a HomeLink visor in my 2013 FFE in 10 minutes!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious on why spending ~$100 on a visor makes sense when most garage door openers have a metal clip that holds them onto the visor anyways....

Just convenience factor? Aesthetics?

rsanders4 said:
Yes, and Yes.

I picked up one for only $38
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371532188331?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not too bad a price. After adding in the cost for the matching passenger side visor, I'd almost consider it.
That being said, a ~$100 modification to my FFE would be one of the cheaper ones on my list. ;-)

Pearl said:
rsanders4 said:
Yes, and Yes.

I picked up one for only $38
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371532188331?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

rsanders4 said:
Not too bad a price. After adding in the cost for the matching passenger side visor, I'd almost consider it.
That being said, a ~$100 modification to my FFE would be one of the cheaper ones on my list. ;-)

No need to change the passenger side visor, it already matches.

Pearl said:
rsanders4 said:

No need to change the passenger side visor, it already matches.

I did this mod, took about 20 minutes. The replacement visor is different from the original, and in fact, requires a new holding clip (the part on the visor that fits into the clip is smaller in diameter for the Homelink visor; available at the dealer for $17!! Yikes!!). The difference, however, is minimal, so I left the original visor on the passenger side.

Keith

On my 2013 there was absolutely no difference in mounting.
I unscrewed two mountings screws,
removed the visor,
pulled out the connector,
unconnected the visor,
plugged the homelink visor in,
screwed it back in.

5 minutes, MAX

Thank you for this thread.

So this is pretty funny - since I now have a used 2013 FFE, I have to go through all those upgrades I did to the 2014. Like the Homelink visor. Since I've already done this modification twice, I figured piece of cake, the new car - I'll do this in my sleep, 10 minutes tops.

The great news, I read this thread to remind myself how to make the swap (LED lights were the bigger issue, remembering how to do the rear view mirror lights).

I get to the 2013 and try to pull the electrical connector out. My 2012 and 2014 were both a piece of cake to do - the connector pulled free easily. This one wouldn't budge. Oh was I mad. I had to pull the headliner apart to see what was going on. Somebody at the factory had a fun day with glue. There was a gallon (well not that much but a lot) on the connector. I had to pry and pull and tear to get that stinking thing loose. What a frustration.

And the crazy thing about the visor - there really are two different visors (well we knew that). The 2013 had the exact same little caps and the unique hold down on it. So the old Homelink visor I bought was a super easy fit - no need to play with the hold down clip. The 2014 got the big cap and extendable visor returned to it.

Nothing cooperated on this job - dropped a screw clip into the front fender, dropped an LED light into the rearview mirror twice, forgot how to remove the dome lights, and never plugged the LED in the right way the first time. It was a comedy of errors. I did way better the first time around three years ago, and I'd never done the job before.

Pearl said:
On my 2013 there was absolutely no difference in mounting.
I unscrewed two mountings screws,
removed the visor,
pulled out the connector,
unconnected the visor,
plugged the homelink visor in,
screwed it back in.

5 minutes, MAX
Just did my wife's new 800 mile 2013 FFE. Should have paid more attention to the earlier posts and more attention when digging into the headliner to get that *&^$ wire loose - got blood on her nice new headliner :oops: . The wire in the headliner was glued down tight so mine was a 30 minute project including the time to get a band-aid and clean the headliner! Cold water and paper towel took care of it. I was tempted to get a used visor but as the car is almost new got a brand new factory fresh visor from Tasca Ford off eBay. Part was CM5Z-5804105-FA if anybody wants to know.

Back