Quick charge project

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coulomb_carl said:
If you have motor torque, current, voltage and RPM PIDs you can calculate motor efficiency? Might be interesting to see how efficient the motor is in both power and regen. A bit confused since in your display showing regen the torque and RPM computes to 4.1kW but volts and amps are 6.2kW?
Good catch. I think RPM is off by x2. I could collect some data to get an idea of efficiency over different modes.

sefs said:
coulomb_carl said:
If you have motor torque, current, voltage and RPM PIDs you can calculate motor efficiency? Might be interesting to see how efficient the motor is in both power and regen. A bit confused since in your display showing regen the torque and RPM computes to 4.1kW but volts and amps are 6.2kW?
Good catch. I think RPM is off by x2. I could collect some data to get an idea of efficiency over different modes.
I wondered about the RPM. If it is indeed off by two then in your displays the powering motor efficiency would be about 96% and the pure regen braking motor efficiency would be about 76%. Eminently reasonable, I think. Would be interesting to see how high the motor efficiency can be while braking at various pedal efforts.

coulomb_carl said:
sefs said:
coulomb_carl said:
I wondered about the RPM. If it is indeed off by two then in your displays the powering motor efficiency would be about 96% and the pure regen braking motor efficiency would be about 76%. Eminently reasonable, I think. Would be interesting to see how high the motor efficiency can be while braking at various pedal efforts.
Keep in mind that there are about 0.2-0.4kW of 12V DC/DC converter load, as well as any HVAC loads, which may have been on at that time. In my new display, I have those individually called out as well.

The difficult (expensive) thing for a retrofit would be the high voltage wiring and likely necessity for contactors on those HV wires. Because of this I doubt we'll ever see a ford approved upgrade since it would be so expensive no one would do it.

triangles said:
The difficult (expensive) thing for a retrofit would be the high voltage wiring and likely necessity for contactors on those HV wires. Because of this I doubt we'll ever see a ford approved upgrade since it would be so expensive no one would do it.
Maybe a simple retrofit battery upgrade option is in the future.

Wait, what?

Wouldn't it be a direct swap of the connector, with just two lines running from the additional pins to the HVB?

rsanders4 said:
Wait, what?

Wouldn't it be a direct swap of the connector, with just two lines running from the additional pins to the HVB?
I'm pretty sure you have to have a contactor and some safety logic so those HV pins aren't always connected to the battery. Otherwise some idiot would remove themselves from the gene pool by sticking their finger(s) in the connector and touching the pins.

I guess what I meant was to replace the charging port and harness with one from a 2017.

I'd bet heavily not much under the hood will be changing, and the understanding I have is that the car already CAN support CCS, it just doesn't have the connector.

sefs said:
I'd say it was a productive weekend :D
All the hardware is in and mounted. The high voltage cables are all connected except for the BRUSA battery leads (just waiting on some ring terminals). All that remains is finishing the controls. CAN bus work is about 50% done. Getting closer...

Did you use the same contactors for the Brusa and CHAdeMO positive and negative wires? Or, do you have a total of 4 contactors?

Anything out of the ordinary with your car now that you've had the increased charging capability for a couple months now?

Thanks for sharing.

awefulspeller said:
Did you use the same contactors for the Brusa and CHAdeMO positive and negative wires? Or, do you have a total of 4 contactors?

Anything out of the ordinary with your car now that you've had the increased charging capability for a couple months now?

Thanks for sharing.
I only used one pair of contactors for Chademo. The Brusa is wired on the always hot side of the contactors. Nothing out of the ordinary has really happened. I used the Chademo fairly often in the winter. When it was cold out, I would routinely come home from work, use my home Chademo, and be full and ready to go in about a half hour. It really made a difference in being able to use heat as much as I wanted. Now that it is summer, I'm not using it as much. A bunch of Chademo chargers just came on line in my area, so I think I'll be using it even more next winter. The only time I use the Brusa is at home combined with my home Chademo. With the ability to use public Chademo chargers, I don't use public level 2 as much.

I am interested in implementing fast charging on my 2013 FFE. I have read through all the posts, but I do not see where you have provided any details(schematics, code, etc). Are you planning on making this information available either as public domain or paid?

sefs said:
WattsUp said:
sefs said:
I have an Arduino with two CAN channels. One on the car's EV-CAN bus, and one on the Chademo CAN-bus. I have picked out the necessary messages from the vehicle to control the charging session, and with some software I wrote for the Arduino, the Arduino controls the charging session. I wish Ford would have provided this from the beginning, as it is a really easy process (for an OEM), but alas, I don't think there is very much interest from them.
Does your custom software just monitor the car "passively"? (and control your custom hardware in response)

Or, does it actually "actively" control aspects of the car?
The car's EV-CAN bus is only monitored. I don't send any messages to the car. I use the car's data to control the charging session.

Do you know if the BMS will prevent overcharging of the HVB???

The BECM does do some failure mode checking to ensure excessively highly voltage doesn't occur, but the system is more tailored to regen control than quick charging control. My Arduino ensures cell voltage doesn't exceed 4.15V.

However, when you have the car's onboard charger engaged, the car does monitor for excessive charging power and will shut down over ~10 kW. There is just enough headroom for me to run the car's onboard charger and the Brusa at the same time. But I can't chademo charge and run the onboard charger at the same time, even with keeping cell voltage below 4.15V.

sefs said:
WE HAVE CAN COMMUNICATION!!!! WOOT :D :D :D :D :D

Okay, I just started to log messages, but this is a HUGE step. I admit, I did a dance. :lol:

sefs,

Can you provide some pointers about how you got the CanDue to communicate with the FFE? I just picked a CanDue up, and trying to figure out how to pull down the can messages from the FFE...although there is limited support on the web.

Do you know the exact pin layout for the FFE ODB-II port? Whenever I plug the CanDue into the ODB-II (under the light switch), the car gives me many error messages. Here is what I've been using for a ODB-II pin diagram, but only have the +12v, GNC, CAN0LO, and CAN0HI wires attached to the CanDue.

http://img.jamessimpson.co.uk/2014/04/Wiring-Diagram.jpg

triangles said:
sefs,
Am I missing something? The "lockpick" for the screen seems awful pricey just to enable a video input to the screen. Does it do anything else?

Sefs,

I got myself a lockpick but cannot get it to work with my 2013 FFE. Called the technical support line for the lockpick, spoke with Carlos and was informed they haven't heard of anyone being able to use the lockpick on the FFE.

Do you remember or have any information on how you got the lockpick to work with your FFE?

awefulspeller said:
triangles said:
sefs,
Am I missing something? The "lockpick" for the screen seems awful pricey just to enable a video input to the screen. Does it do anything else?

Sefs,

I got myself a lockpick but cannot get it to work with my 2013 FFE. Called the technical support line for the lockpick, spoke with Carlos and was informed they haven't heard of anyone being able to use the lockpick on the FFE.

Do you remember or have any information on how you got the lockpick to work with your FFE?
I think I had to follow the "Cmax" instructions instead of the "Focus" instructions that came with it.

I'm planning on adding a generator for extended range since I'm in rural Kansas with no public charging access. I have everything I need including a TSM2500 lithium charger. From what I gather, max voltage is 351 correct? Here's the link. What settings do you suggest? http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/tsm2500-and-charge-controller.html

Well guys, it has been a fun 3 years with the mod installed. I'm trading in my FFE on Friday and picking up my Tesla Model 3, so I'll be pulling out all my mods. I really haven't had any issues with quick charging or anything over the time I've had it installed. I learned a lot, spent more than I care to add up, and had fun proving those who said this car couldn't quick charge wrong. :D

Back