Home Charger Plug Fault

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishArchitect

Hello Focus Forum members,

I'm writing because I'm having an issue with my 2012 Ford Focus Electric. When the battery gets down to the "low battery" 10% indicator and I try to charge it at home with my 120v charger I plug it in and instead of getting the flashing green charging light it stays solid for a second then I get the red "error fault" triangle and it won't charge. Have any of you encountered this issue? Do you think the home charger could be going bad?

I tried different electrical outlets I case it wasn't getting enough power but nothing.

20140507_081557.jpg

Here's a picture of the charger I have.

Thoughts?

SpanishArchitect
:)

These simple tests will give you some idea where the problem might be:

• Are you able to charge successfully with your Ford EVSE at another location, say at work or someone else's house? If so, this may suggest the problem is with your house wiring rather than your EVSE or your car.
  • Are you able to charge successfully using another EVSE, like a public charging station somewhere? If so, this may suggest the problem is with your EVSE or house wiring rather than the car.
  • If you cannot charge successfully anywhere with any EVSE, this may suggest the problem is with the car.

If you suspect the Ford EVSE or the car itself, then certainly take them to the dealer. If your FFE is still under warranty, note that the warranty covers the Ford EVSE. They may simply give you a new EVSE as a quick fix.

If your FFE is no longer under warranty, and you have ruled out other problems (your house wiring or the car) you will have to purchase another EVSE (not necessarily a Ford one) in order to continue charging at home. This will cost a few hundred to a thousand dollars, depending on what capacity/brand EVSE you choose.

Or, if the problem seems to be with your car, then certainly let the Ford service department take a look.

Back