The FFE Sync and MyFord Mobile End will end before 1/1/17

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, that's all well and good......

So, when is Ford going to upgrade our 2G modems????

WattsUp said:
Fraggle said:
Actually WattsUp, you are incorrect partially here. The 2016 Focus Electric with Sync 3 DOES connect to a WiFi network and IS able to download updates to the Sync system over it.
You are correct:

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...tml?year=2016&model=Focus Electric&sync=sync3

"Sync 3" appears to be replacement for "Sync with MyFord Touch" (or what all refer to as "MFT") and runs the infotainment system in the 2016 and later FFEs.

I still maintain that the Sync 3 software really has nothing to do with "the car". It only runs the infotainment system, which can be completely powered-down (fuse pulled) and car would still drive normally. But, the ability to update over wi-fi is a nice improvement over the old USB/SD system.

Question remains, is the wi-fi connection used only by the Sync 3 infotainment system, or is it also used by the telematics unit for control over remote start, remote locking, retrieving car status, etc.. I would not be surprised if telemetry is still only carried by the modem. The other car systems really have nothing to do with Sync (or MFT).

Yup that's exactly what I want to find out too :) If I could find out a (safe) way to hide the cellular network from being reachable by the car when it's connected to Wifi at home or at work, I could test the app lock and unlock etc then.

hybridbear said:
Pearl said:
http://www.lincoln.com/cars/mkz/
MKZ Hybrid
That's not an EV, that's a hybrid. Hybrids do not have a 2G modem for MyFord Mobile. Only the PHEVs do. Lincoln doesn't make any PHEVs or BEVs.

http://lincolnmkzforum.com/topic/1499-embedded-modem-replacement-fsa-15n04/

Ok, I'm a bit miffed. A little Googling with the FSA number and I found a Carfax page (for a Lincoln) that had this notice dated 11/2015.

In June 2016 I had a case open with Ford over connectivity issues to the car (specifically the 2G modem) and they stated they knew nothing.

Fix my damn 2G modem, fix it now!

Update: just contacted Ford again, and gave them the FSA for Lincoln. They stated that it will extend to the Fords in Dec. I just went from miffed to pissed.

scottt said:
Update: just contacted Ford again, and gave them the FSA for Lincoln. They stated that it will extend to the Fords in Dec. I just went from miffed to pissed.

That's certainly aggravating!

MFM has been essentially unusable for my 2014 FFE. Did Ford indicate to you which model years would be covered?

No, they didn't. Plan on calling (again, sigh) next month to see if the story has changed.

Ok. My fed up ability reached its limit. Called Ford again. They told me to see the dealer. Saw the dealer, they told me to call Ford. So, had a sit down with the service manager. Gave him the FSA number for the replacement modems for Lincoln's, and told him I want this done to my car.....now (I was nice about it, trying the fly/honey approach).

He's going to get in contact with the district manager. We'll see how it goes.

Saw a question earlier in this thread about SYNC3 being drop in compatible with SYNC2 (MFT). This is not the case. The APIM, which is the SYNC module (on any version of SYNC) is a networked module. Some SYNC2 and SYNC3 vehicles utilize different network architecture (the modules can be on different networks) and may communicate differently with the various other infotainment modules, such as the ACM, touchscreen (FDIM), controls (FCIM), etc. The bottom line, if you have SYNC2 (MFT), you have SYNC2 and cannot upgrade or drop in SYNC3. The only way to upgrade to SYNC3 would be to purchase a newer car that comes from the factory with SYNC3.

As for the FSA (15N04): this FSA refers to telematics module (TCU) replacement. The TCU is only equipped on plug-in hybrids (PHEV) and full electric vehicles (Focus Electric/BEV). This module is ONLY used for features related to MyFord Mobile and charge settings on PHEV. MyFord Mobile is the app that can be used to set various settings within charging (charge times, charge schedule, value charge, etc.). The TCU is responsible for storing the charge settings, go times, etc.

The reason for the FSA is that the cellular network architecture (2G) is being phased out by the end of 2016. Once this has been phased out, the TCU will no longer connect to a cellular network and MyFord Mobile functionality will cease to work. The FSA calls for TCU replacement with an updated unit and should be available for Ford owners at this time. I have heard rumors that Ford dealerships are refusing to replace the module on customer request (as stated in the FSA documentation) and are only replacing the module if the customer reports a concern with MyFord Mobile connectivity.....therefore, when you bring your car to the dealership, tell them MyFord Mobile does not work correctly INTERMITTENTLY and you are requesting the TCU to be replaced under FSA 15N04. BUT, with that said, they should just replace the module as per the FSA........Hope this helps guys!

I just went to mine today for the 2nd time on this issue. The first time apparently resulted in a big fat nothing done.

So, new rep chosen, service manager involved -- now we're getting somewhere. Mine is the only FFE that visits this dealer, so I'm a guinea pig. Makes me look HARD at the Bolt. I just like this little Focus!

Anyhow, we'll see what happens.

Back