Rear Suspension Bang/Push/Shimmy when braking

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsanders4

Anyone else have some sort of weird rear end bang/shimmy/push going on if they hit a bump or uneven pavement while braking?

rsanders4 said:
Anyone else have some sort of weird rear end bang/shimmy/push going on if they hit a bump or uneven pavement while braking?

I call it the bunny hop. Drives me batty.

Keep in mind that while you're braking using only regen its only the front wheels providing any stopping force. Thus if you are on uneven pavement and the front wheels lose traction you'll stop stopping (for lack of a better term).

When it has happened to me in my old FFE it felt like the car was suddenly on ice. In those instances it is possible that the ABS kicks in and grabs the rear brakes...

Oh yes the classic bunny hop :)

It sure is weird. jmueller hit it on the head. Open dif + one axle braking + bump = loose braking power. This happens because the individual wheels are not having the brakes applied. Therefore if one wheel suddenly jumps off the ground and looses traction, it will stop immediately (in theory) while the other wheel will loose all braking power.

Makes me wonder if there shouldn't be some sort of service bulletin for the brake controller or something?

In certain situations, that rear-end "push" during braking could cause loss of control, or worse.

rsanders4 said:
Makes me wonder if there shouldn't be some sort of service bulletin for the brake controller or something?

In certain situations, that rear-end "push" during braking could cause loss of control, or worse.
Perhaps, you get used to it. Since the car coaches you into making nice easy stops it really isn't that much of an issue. In the 3 years I drove my FFE around it never caused any loss of control and I was never in danger of rear-ending anyone.

Haven't experienced the bunny hop in the C-Max..yet. I'm sure it does it as well as it also uses a lot of regen during braking.

Back