No Ford Long Range BEV

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MNEV said:
jmueller065 said:
Hold the presses! If Ford isn't making a 200 mile EV then why did it spend so much to get a Model X???

Ford buys Model X for $199,950!

I think they have Falcon Door Envy...

That or they keep the "electrification engineers" busy tearing down and putting together a Tesla since they are not busy with any Ford products. Cannot have idle hands in the electrification division.
Must be working on the doors. Didn't the Lincoln Navigator concept have similar doors? If they wanted to know how to build a 200 mile BEV, they could have bought a model S at less than half the price.

MNEV said:
Now my theory is ford is saving there tax credits sales until others figure out the right formula (car design and battery) and then they can under cut them with the $7500 credit that the major electric players will have exhausted so they can corner the market for 2 years.... AND THEN THE WORLD buhahahaha...

Except that plug in hybrids count toward that 200K vehicle count. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought those counted too. I don't belive ford when they say they aren't pursuing the 200mi EV. I rememer reading last summer that ford was pushing for a higher current for the nex-gen EV plug. Plus they are buying teslas and hiring EV engineers. I'm guessing they don't have anything viable right now and they are really trying to play catch up and have a design somewhat ready not too long after the competition is available in the next few years. Anyway it's moot for me. I have one of the early model 3 reservations so I won't be buying another ford for a very long time if ever.

Elektra said:
Didn't the Lincoln Navigator concept have similar doors? If they wanted to know how to build a 200 mile BEV, they could have bought a model S at less than half the price.
Yes the Navigator concept had huge gull-wing doors, but the Ford representatives repeatedly stated they were only for the concept because it made it easier to show off the interior (they were repeatedly asked by the press about the doors). The production Navigator will have the normal four doors.

Ford appears content to do the bare minimum to satisfy CARB/CAFE, while maximizing sales of more profitable ICE cars. That type of behavior isn't surprising from an incumbent.

It's short on details but... is there hope?

http://www.investors.com/news/fords-long-range-electric-car-plan-beat-tesla-gm/?ven=YahooCP&ven=yahoo&src=AURLLED

Along the same lines I just saw a similar article at electec.co whilst reading up on another topic. It is the third article down (at the moment but it will displace down with time) at:

http://electrek.co/

What is particuarly interesting to me is that the comments are made by CEO Mark Fields so perhaps they have some validity. Make what you want of it but as with Jamie I'm sufficiently jaded by Ford and their BEV programme I won't hold my breath waiting. The proof will be in the release.

Thanks and Cheers

Carl

http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2016/04/ford-xerox-parc-oak-ridge-labs-team-up.html

Maybe this tidbit about Ford teaming up with Xerox PARC and Oakrigdge labs to make cheaper better batteries has something to do with fords future plans.

triangles said:
http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2016/04/ford-xerox-parc-oak-ridge-labs-team-up.html

Maybe this tidbit about Ford teaming up with Xerox PARC and Oakrigdge labs to make cheaper better batteries has something to do with fords future plans.

I think the battery side is what separated the leaders from the pretenders. Both Nissan and Tesla built or are building the capacity to deliver their own batteries. I think Nissan has a Tennessee plant which can deliver 200K units a year and Tesla Gigafactory will start churning them out soon. I think this vertical integration is key as this is the most expensive component of BEV right now.

I am not sure if GM is using a third party or not for their battery production.

MNEV said:
I am not sure if GM is using a third party or not for their battery production.
Both GM & Ford source their batteries (Volt, Bolt, FFE, Ford plugins) from LG Chem which has a nice fancy new battery factory in Holland, MI (which for a while was sitting idle because LG Chem didn't have the demand for batteries).

Back