Ford lease end options

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbeasst

i think i was told that i have 3 options but wanted to see if thats the case before i call/go in to a dealer.

1. drop the keys and if under mileage, walk away
2. drop the keys, pay any overage, walk away
3. if over the miles, get into another lease/loan and they ignore the miles from the first lease

also, is there any option if i wanted out of my FFE lease that i could roll the balance into another car? yeah yeah yeah, i know, bad idea!! but worse case if my work doesn't allow me to keep driving it due to relocation of my office (im already making it home with no more than 4-5 miles each day) :eek:

blackbeasst said:
3. if over the miles, get into another lease/loan and they ignore the miles from the first lease
Hmm that hasn't been my experience. For me they've usually just rolled the cost of the extra miles into the next lease (or use any dealer cash back to pay for them, etc.).

jmueller065 said:
blackbeasst said:
Hmm that hasn't been my experience. For me they've usually just rolled the cost of the extra miles into the next lease (or use any dealer cash back to pay for them, etc.).

i asked the same question about how that would work if someone racked up 100k miles on a car in 3 years, then the person gets into another and they are stuck with a 3 year old 100k mile car that isn't worth diddle.

would it be better to call ford directly or the dealer?

blackbeasst said:
Probably Ford Credit if your lease is through them. The lease contract may also specify how things are handled.

As far as inspection: Its done by a 3rd party. Not sure if someone visits the dealer to do the inspection or they ship it off somewhere (its done at a later date). Once you hand in your keys and walk away you get a letter about 2 weeks later detailing the inspection, what they found, and if you owe anything.

When I turned mine in I was well under miles so I really don't know how overages are handled (yet--I was under so much I dropped the miles on my C-Max lease to get a lower payment and now my mile tracking spreadsheet says I'm using way more than I did in the FFE! LOL).

Isn't it possible to have the inspection done before turning the car in and at home?
I've read thats advisable since then you have a chance to do any repairs cheaper yourself possibly thru insurance before turning the car in compared to high fees after...

blackbeasst said:
jmueller065 said:
blackbeasst said:

i asked the same question about how that would work if someone racked up 100k miles on a car in 3 years, then the person gets into another and they are stuck with a 3 year old 100k mile car that isn't worth diddle.

My recollection is that if you lease another car, they forgive some amount ($500 maybe?) of excess wear-and-tear, but not excess mileage.

NightHawk said:
Isn't it possible to have the inspection done before turning the car in and at home?
I've read thats advisable since then you have a chance to do any repairs cheaper yourself possibly thru insurance before turning the car in compared to high fees after...

Yes, that's the normal process. Some guy comes to your home or workplace and inspects the car, gives you a chance to correct any problems he discovers.

EMP40 said:
What is the inspection cost and how picky are they? What sorts of things are"excess"?

The lease contract often spells this out.

When I turned in my Caddy, my wife had put some nasty scratches/swirl marks in the paint on the trunk. It was under the "excess wear" amount, and thus I wasn't dinged.

EMP40 said:
What is the inspection cost and how picky are they? What sorts of things are"excess"?
I've heard Ford is extra picky on the lease end inspection about the windshield - can anyone confirm this?
In southern CA its impossible over 3 years not to get one or more tiny rock marks on the front windshield.

I have a couple very tiny ones so far, but not enough that a windshield repair shop could do anything about since they repair larger cracks mostly other than full windshield replacement.

I returned a Focus a few years back. No difficulties at all during the inspection.

One advantage of leasing from the manufacturer rather than a bank is that they want to keep your good will so you will get another car from them. I'm more worried about when I return,y Volts since they were leased from a bank

I had my lease end inspection today. It was done by a company called Alliance Inspection Management. The inspector was super friendly. He said that he’s done inspections of a couple other FFEs in the Twin Cities area recently. He didn’t spend a whole lot of time on it or look very closely. Based on my review of Ford’s excess wear & tear guide that I received in the mail there were two things that I was concerned about getting charged for: a very light but 8+ inch long scratch on bottom of the right front door & the fact that the driver’s floor mat is worn through where my right heel rests. There are a few other blemishes both inside & outside, but none that would exceed Ford’s acceptable wear & tear according to their booklet. He didn’t seem to notice the two things that I potentially thought could be issues. He said that inspecting my car was “a piece of cake” since it is in such good shape. I hope that I don’t get billed for something after I turn it in on August 15th.

He took lots of pictures of the car & checked to make sure the 120V EVSE was there with the car. He told me that he also does Nissan lease end inspections and that he has inspected lots of Leafs. We were able to chat a bit about EVs. He commented how it seems that every EV owner he talks to has absolutely loved their EV.

For what it's worth, when we returned my daughter's Focus (the one the preceeded my FFE) it was equally easy and smooth. No surprises whatever

Mine goes away Sept 3!

hybridbear said:
I had my lease end inspection today. It was done by a company called Alliance Inspection Management. The inspector was super friendly. He said that he’s done inspections of a couple other FFEs in the Twin Cities area recently. He didn’t spend a whole lot of time on it or look very closely. Based on my review of Ford’s excess wear & tear guide that I received in the mail there were two things that I was concerned about getting charged for: a very light but 8+ inch long scratch on bottom of the right front door & the fact that the driver’s floor mat is worn through where my right heel rests. There are a few other blemishes both inside & outside, but none that would exceed Ford’s acceptable wear & tear according to their booklet. He didn’t seem to notice the two things that I potentially thought could be issues. He said that inspecting my car was “a piece of cake” since it is in such good shape. I hope that I don’t get billed for something after I turn it in on August 15th.

Where did you have the inspection done? Can it be setup anywhere like home or work or do you have to take the car to them?
How much total time did the inspection take?
Did the inspector check the windshield very closely? I'm curious if they care about say one or two tiny spots from pebbles that hit but don't cause any cracks, just a very tiny spot thats hard to see normally?

Were you contacted by the inspection company or receive something in the mail to contact them to setup an appointment?
Is it typical to do the inspection a month in advance of lease end?
What happens if you get significant damage after the inspection but prior to turning the car in? Do they not check again?

NightHawk said:
Where did you have the inspection done? Can it be setup anywhere like home or work or do you have to take the car to them?
They will come to the location you specify. They came to my office & I drove the FFE to work yesterday instead of walking. They only give you a four hour window for time, so doing it at home wasn't convenient for me. The window options I was given were 8:00-12:00 or 1:00-5:00. The inspector will call about 15 minutes before arriving.
NightHawk said:
How much total time did the inspection take?
Less than 30 minutes. Maybe even less than 15, I wasn't watching the time very closely.
NightHawk said:
Did the inspector check the windshield very closely? I'm curious if they care about say one or two tiny spots from pebbles that hit but don't cause any cracks, just a very tiny spot that's hard to see normally?
My inspector didn't check anything closely except tire tread remaining and the 120V EVSE. He seemed more interested in making friendly conversation than looking at the vehicle.
NightHawk said:
Were you contacted by the inspection company or receive something in the mail to contact them to setup an appointment?
Is it typical to do the inspection a month in advance of lease end?
I received a phone call from the company to schedule an appointment. They left a voicemail & I called them back. From the day when I called them back to the appointment was about 1.5 weeks. I asked about the timing & they said that the inspection is valid for 90 days, so as long as I turn in the car within 90 days there shouldn't be an issue.
NightHawk said:
What happens if you get significant damage after the inspection but prior to turning the car in? Do they not check again?
I'm not sure how this works. This is my biggest concern. What if someone decides to check again after I turn the car in & decides that I should be charged for the two potential issues that I mentioned above? Then what happens? I don't know.

hybridbear said:
My inspector didn't check anything closely except tire tread remaining and the 120V EVSE. He seemed more interested in making friendly conversation than looking at the vehicle.

Ah, so you can stand by and talk to the inspector (distract him) while he is doing the inspection? ;)

NightHawk said:
hybridbear said:

Ah, so you can stand by and talk to the inspector (distract him) while he is doing the inspection? ;)
I guess so. I would have left him alone, but he wanted to chat with me and kind of talked my ear off. ;)

jmueller065 said:
blackbeasst said:
...I was under so much I dropped the miles on my C-Max lease to get a lower payment...

I'm WAY under on mine - I didn't realize I might be able to reduce the payment if I call and talk to them. Thanks! (15k/yr planned, only using just over 12k/yr. Due to the Focus being so small and my wife got a new car sooner than expected, we drive her car for most family running around type driving.)

Back