changing wheels and tires

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should have gotten instructions with the tool. If you bought it from tirerack - email them, they have the step by step instructions.

I'm sorry, I have the tool, it has been so long ago that I used it, I can't remember how it worked. It was pretty darn complicated set of steps.

If you are still stuck tomorrow night, I'll try to dig around and find the instructions.

JohnGarland said:
Any updates on the range impact with the wider tires with the lower load rating? I was thinking about picking 18" wheels and the same tires. Thanks for the info.

My rate of consumption (watt hours per mile) has not changed noticeably since adding the wider, lower profile tires and larger rear spoiler. What ever effect these mods had on range has been negligible. I've even done "long" freeway trips (long for a FFE that is, about 30-40 miles each way with no recharge) and seen very good rates of consumption. My lifetime average is still around 235 Wh/mile.

Bottom line - as long as you stick with a decent LRR tire, how you drive will have a much larger impact on range than the tire itself.

TexaCali said:
Bottom line - as long as you stick with a decent LRR tire, how you drive will have a much larger impact on range than the tire itself.

How is the grip/handling? I'm really getting tired of the stock Goodyear LRR tires on my FFE. They're always losing traction. FFE is a heavy car and they're just not up to the job IMO. I'd rather have 10% less stopping distance even if that means 10% less range.

scoops said:
How is the grip/handling? I'm really getting tired of the stock Goodyear LRR tires on my FFE. They're always losing traction. FFE is a heavy car and they're just not up to the job IMO. I'd rather have 10% less stopping distance even it that means 10% less range.
Interesting, perhaps we should start a poll: my tires are Michelins.

What tires does everyone have?

Doh! You're right. They're Michelins. For some reason I thought the mascot with all of the "spare tires" was the Goodyear Man.

blackffe said:
I just changed my wheels and tires on my 2014 FFE. I bought the Ford tpms trigger. Does anyone know the sequence to train/pair the new TPMS with the computer?

On some wild chance you stop back and still need the instructions, I found them.

If your vehicle has push-button ignition:

1. Make sure all tires are inflated to the vehicle’s recommended inflation pressures (found in the owner’s manual on the door placard).

2. Make sure the ignition button is OFF then press and release the brake pedal.

3. Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

4. Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off.

5. Press and release the brake pedal.

6. Tap the ignition button once so the vehicle is OFF.

7. Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

8. Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off.

9. The horn should sound letting you know the vehicle has entered into TPMS relearn mode.

10. Place the top of FORDTRIGGER on the sidewall of the driver’s side front tire in the location of the valve stem.

11. Press the button of the FORDTRIGGER tool. The vehicle’s horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned.

12. Once the horn sounds, move on to the passenger side front tire and repeat the process.

Each tire should only take 30 seconds or less.

13. After the passenger side front tire has been learned, continue on to the passenger side rear tire and finishing with the driver’s side rear tire.

14. You may now turn the ignition to OFF.

If the horn does not sound, the sensors were learned successfully.

If the horn sounds twice, then the process must be repeated because there was a malfunction.

TexaCali said:
My rate of consumption (watt hours per mile) has not changed noticeably since adding the wider, lower profile tires and larger rear spoiler. What ever effect these mods had on range has been negligible. I've even done "long" freeway trips (long for a FFE that is, about 30-40 miles each way with no recharge) and seen very good rates of consumption. My lifetime average is still around 235 Wh/mile.

Thanks for the info I am waiting for my new wheels to come: Konig Oversteer 18x8", ET45, 19.6 lbs ($500 shipped on sale at autoanything.com). Here is a pic of them on a Focus St http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-wheels-tires/25841-konig-oversteer.html

Now I jut need to decide the tires: brand, model, load rating, width and aspect ratio.

I regards to size I am deciding b/w:
225/45r18 – closest to stock FFE circumference
235/40r18 - stock Focus ST size

I am leaning towards the P6 Four Seasons Plus. Which is low rolling resistance, has a high load rating, and is on sale right now on Tirerack. My local Kaufman tire will match Tirerack prices. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P6+Four+Seasons+Plus&partnum=34HR8P6PXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

JohnGarland said:
TexaCali said:

Thanks for the info I am waiting for my new wheels to come: Konig Oversteer 18x8", ET45, 19.6 lbs ($500 shipped on sale at autoanything.com). Here is a pic of them on a Focus St http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-wheels-tires/25841-konig-oversteer.html

Now I jut need to decide the tires: brand, model, load rating, width and aspect ratio.

I regards to size I am deciding b/w:
225/45r18 – closest to stock FFE circumference
235/40r18 - stock Focus ST size

I am leaning towards the P6 Four Seasons Plus. Which is low rolling resistance, has a high load rating, and is on sale right now on Tirerack. My local Kaufman tire will match Tirerack prices. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P6+Four+Seasons+Plus&partnum=34HR8P6PXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I have the Pirelli P6 tires in 235/40-18. The car feels more sure-footed to me than compared to the stock Michelins; the old tires would squeal under moderate braking, whereas these seem to have more grip. It rides nicely and seems to have just a tad more road noise. Can't beat the price.

empowah said:
I have the Pirelli P6 tires in 235/40-18. The car feels more sure-footed to me than compared to the stock Michelins; the old tires would squeal under moderate braking, whereas these seem to have more grip. It rides nicely and seems to have just a tad more road noise. Can't beat the price.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear you like yours. Certainly leaning towards that tire.

We have a Focus Titanium with the summer tires - 235/40-18. I just had another flat. The first one was a sidewall cut my son got running over something. The second one was this week, we picked up a screw and the tire couldn't be plugged.

I am fed up with paying $300 a tire for these flats (counting mounting and tax). I now regret getting those wheels and tires. Yeah the car looks cool and it handles maybe a little better. I spent $1000 on snow tires and wheels. Then $300 on the first flat. And now $600 on the second flat because the tires are now 15,000 miles worn and I had to replace the pair.

Seriously man, I would think long and hard about putting 40 ratio tires on your FFE.

I'm thinking about getting some new tires for my FFE. Like many here, I'm not happy with the slippery, squealing traction, particularly in wet weather. I'm wondering if anyone who has replaced their stock tires has any further updates or opinions on the results. I'm looking at getting the Continental Pure Contact (about $600 shipped from tire rack) as it seems to have tested well for wet and snow traction. I'd love to hear any thoughts other FFE owners might have. Thank you.

cwstnsko said:
When I was trying to wrap my mind around the idea of having no spare tire, no jack and no lug wrench, I did some digging and decided that I would likely give the Bridgestone DriveGuard tires a try, if I replaced my Michelins. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=DriveGuard
Interesting. Is there a downside (besides non LRR range concerns) to using run flats?

I'm still leaning towards the Continentals, will probably pull the trigger soon.

Do any of you have newer info. / results from changing tires?
(This thread was interesting, but seems to have dropped from attention; not an "active topic".)

My main goals:
good traction (including on wet pavement), and Much better life than the stock tires: 2 of mine wore nearly to replacement depth in just 22,000 miles.

I would agree, would be nice to hear stories of people who have gone to 18" wheels/tires - what their experience has been, photos, etc. Thinking of doing the same but may just go with more aggressive-looking 17x7.5s so I can keep using my OE tires.

I have noticed that my tires are getting louder with wear. In a vehicle that is nice and quite like an EV the noise is bothersome. So, I am looking for a quiet tire in addition to run-flat and LRR. How much range do you lose if you go with a non LRR tire? 2%-5% ? more?

Been a while since this thread was active...

Has anyone found a good summer tire to improve traction? Like others here, I'm will to trade a little less range for better acceleration traction and stopping distance.

I'm looking at the 18" Bridgestone runflats.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=DriveGuard&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=34WR8DGXLRFT&tab=Sizes

At 23,000 miles, I'm expecting to replace my factory tires in about six months or so. 30,000 miles from stock tires isn't too shabby.

I hate aftermarket wheels, but the OZ Ultraleggera are 9 lbs lighter than the Ford Racing 18x8's.
That's a huge difference in unsprung weight, and should easily offset any range loss from not using an LRR tire.

Also, the Bridgestone has a slightly higher load rating than stock, which should also help with rolling resistance.

I guess a bunch of us are all waiting for updated / long-term replacement tire info...

The MFM forums are also pretty lacking as well.

Back