19 inch wheels

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFE559

Does anyone know if 19" wheels with 235/35/R19 tires will cause any problems? They weigh 20.0 lbs. I saw a lot about 18" in these forums but nothing about 19. Tire rack doesn't allow anything bigger than 18 on the FFE but can go up to 20 on the non electric models.

Remember that the larger the diameter of the wheel, the more the weight is carried towards the outside circumference and therefore the more energy it takes to get that wheel moving to a certain speed. That extra rotating mass along with the the likely stickier tires is going to have a noticeable impact on your range so make sure to take that into account as you consider this modification.

The overall diameter will actually be .38 inches smaller than the original tires because of the lower profile tire. Circumference 1.2 inches shorter. Will that make it more efficient?

FFE559 said:
The overall diameter will actually be .38 inches smaller than the original tires because of the lower profile tire. Circumference 1.2 inches shorter. Will that make it more efficient?
All things being equal, probably no. A smaller wheel (overall) will mean everything will have to run faster to achieve the same speed. My intuition says that would make things less efficient.

Then again, all things probably aren't going to be equal...

• Do these new wheels and tires weigh (overall) significantly less than the stock setup? If so, perhaps that would offset any added inefficiencies of the smaller circumference.
  • Are the new tires a lot harder than the stock tires? If so, then again, the potentially lower rolling resistance might also act as an offset.

Of course, if some of the answers here are actually the opposite, then the opposite will probably be true (even worse efficiency). You'll just have to try it out and see how things compare.

I've been eyeing the RS 19" replica wheels from Ford.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-focus-rs-wheel-19-inch-x8-5-inch-gloss-black-focus-st-2013-2016/p/W644/?gclid=CjwKEAjwuPi3BRClk8TyyMLloxgSJAAC0Xsj84gymHN_ZBpQZK7HpZdmxbLbqWywoQhLYBuPfzXQfhoC5Knw_wcB

Thoughts? A bit of Plasti-dip could cover the RS badging I think?

Or would it just be easier to go aftermarket with something similar looking?

Back