Most Life-time miles - Does anyone have 50,000 miles yet?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was estimating charge cycles based on 48000 miles and 70 miles per full charge. Yes maybe somewhat miore if I assume less range per full charge. 800 probably a better number. Actually performed as maybe 1200 shallow cycles as a rough guess.

I have driven over 18K in 12 months, but I am not sure how to check the battery capacity, I am new to this can someone suggest where I look for my current battery capacity

There are several approaches, none perfect, but this one requires no equipment and makes sense to me:

1. Fully charge the battery on a reasonably warm day. Listen for the cooling system to be operating. This will assure that the battery is near the nominal 98 degree maximum operating temperature.

2. Open the windows, reset the trip meter, and set the heater to absolute maximum heating. This will cause the heater to draw about 6 kW.

3. The trip meter will progressively show the energy consumed. When the car give a "stop safely now" message (will take something like three hours) note the energy use. This is as good an estimate as I know of for the useful battery capacity.

I have 58,000 on my leased FFElecric (Beano!) in Georgia.
I have noticed that charges of 80's are now the high (down from the 100's) and 70's are now the norm.

I can usually still make my 65 mile commute on one charge.
The weather can make a difference.

My next EV will probably be a Tesla 3.
Ford service has been a disappointment and with no upgrades to the vehicle.

This thread has discussed whether deep-cycling (driving to near depletion), being full a lot, and number of cycles plays a role in range degradation, but doesn't charging watts affect degradation?

One experienced person I talked to said charging at 120v instead of 240v makes them last longer.

Anybody confirm that? Slower charging better than lots o' watts?

michael said:
I'm unaware of any basis in fact to support that. 6 kW charging is still "loafing" for these batteries.
One study I found compared 50kW vs. 3.3kW charging in Leafs going to almost 50,000 miles. That high-rate 50kW only hurt battery performance by 3% more. Getting the batteries too hot appears to be the enemy, and our Ford Focus Electrics have liquid cooling, better than the Leaf's air-cooled batteries.
http://insideevs.com/idaho-national-laboratory-dc-quick-charging-nissan-leaf-doesnt-kill-battery/

Leaf's batteries were down 25% at 40,000 miles in a hot climate.

My 2012 FFE now has just over 36,000 miles on it and i still love it! Zero cost of maintenance to date except for $1.98 for washer fluid :cool: I live in Wisconsin so my poor FFE spends a lot of time shivering and the range computer is confused all the time because my garage is fairly warm so when I get on the road i show some pretty substantial negative status readings. My commute is 18 miles which is no problem at all even if i forget to plug in, which i have done. Range does not seem to have degraded much if at all. I'm just getting into the warmer weather so i don't have that data yet but winter range at -20 and lower is hanging in there at around 55 miles, the same since i got the car. We've had a few days over 70 so far and the range on those days was over 70. I expect with warmer days to be back up close to the normal 75 to 80 mile range. It's hard for me to believe that Ford has not marketed this car aggressively (although there have been a few TV ads lately) nor does it seem to have any plans for its future.

Back