Recall / Field Service Action; Where to find more info?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5% range difference is negligible in my opinion. I can have a 5% difference based on the slightest factors. 10% or more gets into that area of being something serious.

I'll let you know when I get mine back Thursday or Friday. They had to order parts. Driving the 2014 Fusion Hybrid around. The lane keep assist stuff is so cool how it pushes you back into the lane! Adaptive cruise too. We need these features...

jmueller065 said:
campfamily said:
I'm inclined to leave well enough alone.
I've noticed a few people here with this thought: Well it isn't broken (that was my thought as well before I got rid of my FFE when I had initially heard about this recall: Why should I get it done since my lease is up in a few months I'll let the next owner worry about that).

However, my coworker happened to have his at a dealer for something else when the recall was started so he had the recall done as well. He has since seen at least a 5% improvement in overall range of the car and on such a short ranged car even 5% is significant. In his case in cold weather he would arrive home at the end of the day with <10 miles remaining (his commute is 50+ miles round trip). He now says: "I no longer am limited to the back roads in cold temps--I can now use the freeway in both directions."

If I still had my FFE I would be making an appointment to get the recall performed as soon as possible.

(We were speculating this morning that perhaps this new code is part of Ford's efforts to get the FFE to 100 miles. The recall is just an opportunity to hand out the more efficient calibration to all the current FFE owners. It also means the 100 mile FFE won't need as big of a battery as initially thought if they can eek out a few more miles via software.)

Yes others here reported increase in FFE mileage after a recent firmware update, thats what I've been hoping for now that the dealer will do the firmware update with this latest FSA notice.
I tried to get them to do a firmware update a couple months ago when I took the FFE for annual service check, but they wouldn't do it unless there was a FSA notice like there is now.

jmueller065 said:
campfamily said:
Which recall caused your co-worker to see improved efficiencies? The one to fix the "start-stop" issue (which, I did have done, by the way), or this new one? Reason I ask is that I have not received any notification of recall for my 2015, other than the "start-stop" recall.

Keith
This new one.

Thanks. I need to see if it applies to my car.

jmueller065 said:
Despite the fact that I don't have an FFE anymore I received the recall notices in the mail today for the new SSN recall. Programs 15B23 and 15N03.
I received those recall notices too ... for the FFE we returned last July (end of lease).
Appears that Ford /Michigan did not get the news that we had swapped the 2012 FFE for a 2015 FFE (build date 5-2-2015).
When I looked at the owners' site (owner.ford.com) later, I saw that had not changed the "registration" there, and those 2 (15B23 and 15N03) were obviously called for.
When I did update the registration there, those 2 disappeared, and 15C06 is now called for on our current car.
So, maybe the mailed notices are based on this online voluntary registration, not on paperwork at the dealer, and not on what was filed with my state's vehicle dept.!

(Does anyone agree, by the way, with my impression that 15C06 could be skipped? Notice reads in part "... IT MAY BE POSSIBLE FOR THE ENGINE TO CONTINUE TO RUN AFTER [pressing the Start/Stop button]"; reprogramming the Body Control Module is needed. We have seen no problem, in 7 months.)

JTCalif said:
(Does anyone agree, by the way, with my impression that 15C06 could be skipped? Notice reads in part "... IT MAY BE POSSIBLE FOR THE ENGINE TO CONTINUE TO RUN AFTER [pressing the Start/Stop button]"; reprogramming the Body Control Module is needed. We have seen no problem, in 7 months.)

Had no issues with mine either, but I figured it's free and doesn't take too long to fix, why chance it.

JTCalif said:
So, maybe the mailed notices are based on this online voluntary registration, not on paperwork at the dealer, and not on what was filed with my state's vehicle dept.!
They aren't. Ford is just slow to update their records. We received mail from Toyota about an issue with the Prius we had before the FFE in fall 2015, about 10 months after the Prius changed owners. The Toyota letters say right on them that if you no longer have the car you should send the letter to the current owner. So, that's what I did. I scanned the recall letter & e-mailed it to the guy to now has the Prius.

hybridbear said:
JTCalif said:
They aren't. Ford is just slow to update their records. We received mail from Toyota about an issue with the Prius we had before the FFE in fall 2015, about 10 months after the Prius changed owners. The Toyota letters say right on them that if you no longer have the car you should send the letter to the current owner. So, that's what I did. I scanned the recall letter & e-mailed it to the guy to now has the Prius.

It's not just Ford. I'm still getting notices from BMW on the car I sold back in July.

Keith

Keep in mind that there is a time delay (sometimes in months) for the information to work its way through "the system" (the state registration takes their time, then the OEM's typically use a 3rd party contractor to grab the changes to the registrations, then the OEM's have to compile the list of VINs corresponding to the recalls, then the list is sent to another 3rd party to compile the mailings and send them out).

It does take some time to work through all those layers....

Dealer still has my car. Waiting on parts... Hopefully I'll get it back today. Although I really haven't minded driving this Fusion Hybrid. Driven it 350 miles in 3 days and used 3/4 tank of gas. My sable would have used an entire 16+ gallons after 350 miles.. This has used about 8! Gas at $1.36 really isn't bad. Electricity is cheaper though at 7.7c/kWh. Plus I charge L2 for free at work.

Edit: Got car back today. Updated PCM and GPSM as well as aligning the door and of course doing the TSB for the HVB harness. Looks like they did a good job!

My FFE is at the dealer for 15B23 and 15N03.

The dealer says they need to change parts CN5Z14A318D (wiring assembly) and CN5Z15K607A.

Price of parts: 2600$

Under warranty: NO

Anybody have heard of those parts?

Thanks

phoenix26984 said:
My FFE is at the dealer for 15B23 and 15N03.

The dealer says they need to change parts CN5Z14A318D (wiring assembly) and CN5Z15K607A.

Price of parts: 2600$

Under warranty: NO

Anybody have heard of those parts?
Note that 15N03 is not an actual service action. The title of 15N03 is "HIGH VOLTAGE WIRE HARNESS EXTENDED COVERAGE" and it serves to extend the coverage for things like the wiring harness, because Ford knows that, in many cases, it will need to be replaced with 15B23, and also the new part will be warranted as well. I presume this wiring harness is CN5Z14A318D.

I agree with jmueller, 15B23 is recall. The corrective work must be done at Ford's cost. Keep pushing. Other people have already reported they've had this recall done for zero cost.

Basically, the upshot is that any work required for 15B23 should come at no cost to the customer. 15B23 even authorizes the dealer to pay for car rental during the repairs.

I wonder if that is the difference: In the US these campaigns are part of a recall and thus are free to the customer (regardless of the age of the vehicle--its a recall).

Not sure how the laws in Canada work in this case.

Back