9 months, 10,000 miles

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campfamily

This morning, on my way to work, my FFE turned over 10,000 miles. I bought the car back in early May of last year, so it's taken me a bit less than 9 months to put that many miles on the car. And, I will have to say that, so far, this car has met all of my expectations. I am not a raging environmentalist; I bought the car for selfish reasons, to be able to drive in the carpool lane, and to cut the cost of my commute. The car has met both of those goals. Being able to drive in the carpool lane has cut at least 15 minutes each way from my commute. And, even at the outrageous prices we pay for electricity here in LA (thank you, SoCal Edison!!), I'm saving a lot of money compared to what I would have paid to drive my gasoline powered car (a 2008 BMW 550). My commute is about 55 miles round trip, so after I get home, I still have plenty of electrons left to run the odd errand around town. So far I'm averaging about 245 watt-hours/mile, driving about 30% on city streets (35 to 40 mph), the rest on the freeway (65-80 mph in the morning, 45-50 in the evening). I have noticed an increase in power consumption with the "cooler" weather; one of the main shortcomings that I see in our cars, that has been discussed at length on this and other forums, is the impact of cold weather on power consumption. Fortunately, given the mild weather we have out here, the impact has been negligible, although still noticeable. I've also found that my wife will use the car on the weekends for the majority of her errands, as will I. My teenage son likes to drive it when he's home from college, so the mileage on our other cars has dropped off quite a bit.

I have been spared any of the "SSN" issues that other owners seem to have been suffering. So far, my car has started 100% of the time. I did visit the dealer once, for the software recall notice, and to have them replace the front floor mats, which were beginning to come apart. Other than that, I've had the tires rotated once (thank you, America's Tire!), but have had no other maintenance.

I do have a few negative comments about the car, but interestingly, they are likely common to the entire Focus line, not just the Electric.
1) The interior shows dirt very quickly. I am constantly wiping down the front of the seat bottom, which shows soil very quickly. Also, the area around the hand brake gets dirty. And, the touch screen is very susceptible to fingerprints. Maybe I just have dirty hands???
2) I really miss the auto-dimming mirror. Ford really should have left that feature in the car, or offered it as an option. Ditto for Homelink, although I was able to fix that myself by replacing the sunvisor with one from an earlier Ford Focus; easy plug and play.
3) Interior rattles. I recognize that since the car is so quiet inside, rattles are going to be a lot more noticeable, but I periodically get a loud rattle from around the right rear passenger seat, mainly over larger bumps or very rough roads. At first, I thought it was the seatbelt buckle banging on the hard plastic at the bottom of the seat, but I noticed it again one day when I had a passenger in that seat, so I'm still chasing that one. And, I have a slight buzzing noise over some road surfaces in the drivers door, right by my elbow. That one can be ignored by turning the radio up louder, since it really is very minor. Still annoying, though.
4) The driver side floormat is too short. I already mentioned that Ford replaced my mat once, as it was coming apart at the front of the mat. The replacement looks like it's going to do the same. It seems as though it is wearing right where I put my left foot. I guess we can thank the lawyers for Ford providing us with a floormat that doesn't go up and under the pedals like they used to do!!

Other than these minor quibbles, I've been very happy with my FFE. I appreciate how it doesn't look any different than a "regular" car (even more so with my car, as I have removed the Electric badges). For my needs, the range is more than adequate, so all of the hoopla about new electric cars with 200+ mile range doesn't interest me; 75 or so miles meets more than 95% of my needs.

Bottom line.....would I do it again? Yes, I think, given the same circumstances, yes I would. The cost of entry was very low (after incentives, less than $15,000 + tax and license), and the cost to operate is similarly low. And, the carpool lane benefit is huge to me.

Keith

PS - my older son is in his second year of college, and since his education isn't costing us anything, my wife and I agreed to buy him a car when he is allowed to have a car at his school. That time is coming up, as he will be a junior after this summer. He is trying to convince us that he should get a Focus RS. From what I've seen about that car, it really looks like an awesome automobile, but I cringe at spending $37k+ for a Ford Focus. We did drive the Focus ST, and I was very impressed, so that might be what he ends up with. Bottom line, we may shortly be a two-Focus (Focii?) family!

campfamily said:
I really miss the auto-dimming mirror.
One came with my C-Max :)
campfamily said:
Interior rattles. I recognize that since the car is so quiet inside, rattles are going to be a lot more noticeable, but I periodically get a loud rattle from around the right rear passenger seat, mainly over larger bumps or very rough roads. At first, I thought it was the seatbelt buckle banging on the hard plastic at the bottom of the seat, but I noticed it again one day when I had a passenger in that seat, so I'm still chasing that one. And, I have a slight buzzing noise over some road surfaces in the drivers door, right by my elbow. That one can be ignored by turning the radio up louder, since it really is very minor. Still annoying, though.
I had the same rattle around the right rear passenger seat in my FFE--never found it.
My FFE also had the trim piece loose between the driver's side doors (to the left of the driver's seat)--that may be the source of your buzzing.
campfamily said:
The driver side floormat is too short. I already mentioned that Ford replaced my mat once, as it was coming apart at the front of the mat.
My floormats were also disintegrating--didn't last one winter here in MI. I replaced them with the Focus "all-weather" floormats. They were much better constructed and not carpet.

I've now put just over 6000 miles on my FFE since I bought it in September. I get free L2 charging at work and my electricity is only 7c/kWh in the winter here. 12c for 4 months in the summer.

I added an autodimming mirror. Tapped into the lighting circuit wires in the overhead console and put a gentex mirror from a prius in. It has homelink too. I LOVE it! I was very unhappy when I saw it didn't have one.

To solve the floormat problem I just bought weathertech floormats. They keep the carpet clean and dry and are easy to clean off with a quick wipe down. The only thing is you need to put velcro on the bottom of the rear ones so they don't push forwards.

The rattles are covered under warranty if you can get them to be heard by Ford... Rattles drive me nuts.

The biggest problem I have with this car is the Sony audio system. The speakers are junk. It has this great amplifier but the speakers ruin it. Replacing mine this week. That system has so much potential. I also miss the factory sub. I'm making a custom box and putting an 8" sub in with a 100w RMS amplifier. Going to just wire it into a 15a fuse in the rear. Just a little bit extra dimension to the audio.

breeves002 said:
I added an autodimming mirror. Tapped into the lighting circuit wires in the overhead console and put a gentex mirror from a prius in. It has homelink too. I LOVE it! I was very unhappy when I saw it didn't have one.

You don't by any chance have any pictures of this install, do you? How did the overhead console come down, and how did you tap into the wires? Was there already a plug up there, or did you actually have to tap into the wires? Depending on how hard this is, I'd love to do this....I see a number of companies selling autodimming mirrors on the Internet, so finding the mirror should be easy. What would be nice is if Ford left the harness up in the overhead console from the earlier models that had the autodim mirror and it was simply a plug and play.

Keith

breeves002 said:
The biggest problem I have with this car is the Sony audio system. The speakers are junk. It has this great amplifier but the speakers ruin it. Replacing mine this week. That system has so much potential. I also miss the factory sub. I'm making a custom box and putting an 8" sub in with a 100w RMS amplifier. Going to just wire it into a 15a fuse in the rear. Just a little bit extra dimension to the audio.

Completely agree. If I was Sony I'd be embarrassed to put my name on this system. Please let us know what speakers you use to replace with. I'm anxious to follow in your footsteps.

campfamily said:
You don't by any chance have any pictures of this install, do you? How did the overhead console come down, and how did you tap into the wires? Was there already a plug up there, or did you actually have to tap into the wires? Depending on how hard this is, I'd love to do this....I see a number of companies selling autodimming mirrors on the Internet, so finding the mirror should be easy. What would be nice is if Ford left the harness up in the overhead console from the earlier models that had the autodim mirror and it was simply a plug and play.

Keith

Keith,

I found it was much easier to run the wire down the passenger side A-Pillar and go directly into the fuse panel with fuse taps. I tried to find the wire in the headliner, but was paranoid that I'd damage it trying to find the wire. Also, if I want to remove the mirror, there is no fuss/mess to reverse the process.

scottt said:
campfamily said:

Keith

Keith,

I found it was much easier to run the wire down the passenger side A-Pillar and go directly into the fuse panel with fuse taps. I tried to find the wire in the headliner, but was paranoid that I'd damage it trying to find the wire. Also, if I want to remove the mirror, there is no fuss/mess to reverse the process.

Thanks for the guidance. Which fuse did you tap into? I'm curious, since you have the Homelink in the mirror, did you tap into a circuit that is always live, or does it shut down when turning off the "ignition" switch?

Keith

campfamily said:
Thanks for the guidance. Which fuse did you tap into? I'm curious, since you have the Homelink in the mirror, did you tap into a circuit that is always live, or does it shut down when turning off the "ignition" switch?

Keith

Took a bit of searching, but I finally found a post (somewhere) that had the info I needed.

I placed the constant ac (homelink power) to fuse number 65

Partial ac (compass and auto dim) to fuse number 85

Works great!

scottt said:
campfamily said:

Keith

Took a bit of searching, but I finally found a post (somewhere) that had the info I needed.

I placed the constant ac (homelink power) to fuse number 65

Partial ac (compass and auto dim) to fuse number 85

Works great!

Thank you, sir!!!

Back