Recall / Field Service Action; Where to find more info?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangles

I was looking for info on etis.ford.com site and put my vin in and found this recall notice:

FSA Title: HIGH VOLTAGE WIRE HARNESS UPDATE AND REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
Field Service Action Number: 15B23

I googled the FSA 15B23 and found nothing. I'm not worried as I'm not having any problems with the car. I just wanted to find more info to see what this was all about.

triangles said:
I was looking for info on etis.ford.com site and put my vin in and found this recall notice:

FSA Title: HIGH VOLTAGE WIRE HARNESS UPDATE AND REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

I googled the FSA 15B23 and found nothing. I'm not worried as I'm not having any problems with the car. I just wanted to find more info to see what this was all about.
OASIS would have more info. Unfortunately, no one on the forum has shared that they have access to OASIS & no one seemed interested in my idea to buy a shared subscription amongst a few forum members.

It's available to all FFE's. Basically, they separated the two high voltage cables under the hood and put them in separate convolute instead of sharing one. They also replace some contact springs withing the connector going to the TCM. The shorting pins for the HVIL also get replaced with new gold plated ones. This is done with the aim of fixing SSN warnings. They also reprogram the TCM and PCM. Free of charge, no need for warranty.

sefs said:
It's available to all FFE's. Basically, they separated the two high voltage cables under the hood and put them in separate convolute instead of sharing one. They also replace some contact springs withing the connector going to the TCM. The shorting pins for the HVIL also get replaced with new gold plated ones. This is done with the aim of fixing SSN warnings. They also reprogram the TCM and PCM. Free of charge, no need for warranty.

This shows up at the Ford owner site under the recall list after signing in for my 2014 FFE now too:

Is this a brand new fix from Ford for FFEs, better than the previous wire harness replacements?
Does this mean Ford has finally come up with a full solution for SSNs due to cable wire harness issues?

Can we schedule this fix for any FFE at a local Ford electric dealer now or is there going to be a new cable harness supply issue for awhile?
I wonder how long (assuming the dealer has the parts first) to do the work and if more than a day if the dealer would give a free rental vehicle for the duration of the work?

If any FFE owner here gets this new FSA done at a local Ford dealer soon, please report it here in this thread with details including how long it took the dealer to get the parts and perform the work. Also if the dealer gave a free rental car if the work took more than the same day.

Oh shoot, I forgot to mention this to you guys in my other thread (thinking about buying a focus ev). The day it came out (last friday), I was actually on the phone with ford customer care and the lady said it was due to some of the focus EV's that would show the red hazard light. I was going to call my local ford dealer today after work but completely spaced it. I feel bad, should have let everyone know.

I am not sure what CAD tools Ford was using at the time for harness, but I now know they use a really high quality tool as of this year. This is probably what they were waiting for in order to fix their harness issues.

The ford dealership that I bought this from let me know they would lend me a car while they did the work. They didn't mention how long it would take (probably because it is so new).'

I would recommend to call your local dealer just in case a shortage later on does happen, at least you will be one of the first on their list (hopefully they will have one) and can get it fixed quickly.

sefs said:
It's available to all FFE's. ... Free of charge, no need for warranty.
Seems like another new FSA, 15N03 (Title: HIGH VOLTAGE WIRE HARNESS EXTENDED COVERAGE) which also recently appeared for my FFE, is likely related to 15B23?

WattsUp said:
sefs said:
It's available to all FFE's. ... Free of charge, no need for warranty.
Seems like another new FSA, 15N03 (Title: HIGH VOLTAGE WIRE HARNESS EXTENDED COVERAGE) which also recently appeared for my FFE, is likely related to 15B23?
Is that a special warranty for the wire harness?

On the phone with my local ford dealership. So far he has told me that no parts are necessary and that it is all software related. He said the longest procedure is an hr and a half and the shortest is 30mins. He said the most time needed is about 2hrs because of paper work etc. He then retracted and said that some modification by applying electrical grease to harness to the high voltage interlock. The harness also needs to be separated from a different part of the harness.

The reason there is a fluctuation in time is because it is conditional. The conditions will be based on a checklist they have, so 30 minutes is the shortest time it will take a tech and an hr and half is the longest if everything on the list needs to be done. I believe he said there will be a software update as well. Hopefully for some reason this update will allow for better battery performance :)

So to answer every ones question, there is no physical parts that need to be added.

joejoe317 said:
On the phone with my local ford dealership. So far he has told me that no parts are necessary and that it is all software related. He said the longest procedure is an hr and a half and the shortest is 30mins. He said the most time needed is about 2hrs because of paper work etc. He then retracted and said that some modification by applying electrical grease to harness to the high voltage interlock. The harness also needs to be separated from a different part of the harness.

The reason there is a fluctuation in time is because it is conditional. The conditions will be based on a checklist they have, so 30 minutes is the shortest time it will take a tech and an hr and half is the longest if everything on the list needs to be done. I believe he said there will be a software update as well. Hopefully for some reason this update will allow for better battery performance :)

So to answer every ones question, there is no physical parts that need to be added.
For vehicles built before May 19, 2014
If the high voltage harness connecting to the TCM is currently in two seperate convolutes, then yes, nothing physical is required. If you have both conductors in the same convolute, parts are required. They consist of abrasion sleeves (x2), terminal springs (x4), and HVIL shunt (x1) with electrical grease. After completion, reprogram modules. If they are already in individual convolute, only module reprogramming is required.

Vehicles build after May 19, 2014
Apply electrical grease to the HVIL shunt. Reprogram modules.

Estimated time given for both, 0.5 to 1.1 hours. 1 day car rental is pre-aproved. Owner notifications begin week of January 25, 2016. Applies to all vehicles. Program in effect through December 31, 2016. No mileage limit for program. Affects Focus Electrics built September 15, 2011 through August 15, 2014. Changes must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner. All of the parts for the harness upgrade are in Part Number: CM5Z-15K607-A.

We've never had any issues with the SSN message in our car, and the previous owner reported that she never experienced it either. I'd be hesitant to have the dealership mess around with something that isn't broken... Our lease ends in August 2016. There are a few miscellaneous things we'd like addressed with the FFE, but not enough to warrant a trip to the dealer with so few months left on our lease. I don't think I'll worry about this unless we start having an issue or have to go to the dealer for another reason.

Thanks sefs for posting additonal info about it.

sefs said:
If the high voltage harness connecting to the TCM is currently in two seperate convolutes, then yes, nothing physical is required. If you have both conductors in the same convolute, parts are required. They consist of abrasion sleeves (x2), terminal springs (x4), and HVIL shunt (x1) with electrical grease. After completion, reprogram modules. If they are already in individual convolute, only module reprogramming is required.

Estimated time given for both, 0.5 to 1.1 hours. 1 day car rental is pre-aproved. Owner notifications begin week of January 25, 2016. Applies to all vehicles. Program in effect through December 31, 2016. No mileage limit for program. Affects Focus Electrics built September 15, 2011 through August 15, 2014. Changes must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner. All of the parts for the harness upgrade are in Part Number: CM5Z-15K607-A.

Thanks for the excellent detailed info!
My 2014 FFE has a build date of 5/25/2014, so I just barely squeaked by that 5/19/2014 date, so I should only need the much simpler procedure that probably could be done in an hour or so?
I have wanted a new module firmware update in any case since I have heard of other FFEs that got one recently improved their battery efficiency and mileage...

sefs said:
sefs, you also previously said this:

sefs said:
They also replace some contact springs withing the connector going to the TCM. The shorting pins for the HVIL also get replaced with new gold plated ones.
So, do they perform those replacements or not? Don't these require some new parts?

WattsUp said:
sefs said:
sefs, you also previously said this:

sefs said:
They also replace some contact springs withing the connector going to the TCM. The shorting pins for the HVIL also get replaced with new gold plated ones.
So, do they perform those replacements or not? Don't these require some new parts?
The gist of whether or not you need the parts is indicated by the separate convolutes. If you already have them, that indicates you already have the updated harness configuration. If you don't, you need the kit which includes all the parts.

sefs said:
joejoe317 said:

Hey sefs,

Where did you read "1 day car rental is pre-approved"? My service dealer (not selling dealer) will not provide a rental and Ford customer service did not confirm it being written on the service program 15B23 as well. What gives?

Thanks_steve

stevie said:
sefs said:
joejoe317 said:

Hey sefs,

Where did you read "1 day car rental is pre-approved"? My service dealer (not selling dealer) will not provide a rental and Ford customer service did not confirm it being written on the service program 15B23 as well. What gives?

Thanks_steve
It's right in the Dealer Executive Summary 15B23. "Rental Assistance: Yes, 1 day pre-approved". It's also on page 2 of the Dealer Bulletin under "RENTAL VEHICLES".

jmueller065 said:
My coworker had this recall done on his FFE this past Monday.

He reports about a 5% efficiency improvement.
Like others have reported after firmware update...

How long did the dealer take to do the work? Same day?

NightHawk said:
How long did the dealer take to do the work? Same day?
Sounded like it took one or two days. He dropped it off a week ago Monday (1/11) with some flat tires which was when the dealer informed him of the recall (same day this recall thread started). Took them at least until Thursday to get the parts and he picked it up this past Monday (1/18). I say at least until Thursday because he was calling them every day last week and the last I spoke to him was Thursday when he said they were still waiting for parts (until I talked to him Tuesday asking if he got his car back).

Thus at most it took Friday and some of Monday.

Another potential recall looming.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/01/20/feds-probing-400000-ford-focuses-doors-fly-open/79068092/

Back