Monthly electricity use

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my first month of ownership data is in.

Drove a little over 500 miles. $1.50 in electricity costs.

Um, WOW!

scottt said:

Hmm, the numbers don't seem to add up.

To drive 500 miles in the FFE, I estimate you would need about 158 kWh:

(500 miles / 76 mile range) * ~24 kWh used per charge = ~158 kWh

$1.50 / 158 kWh = ~$0.01 cents per kWh

So, how are you paying $0.01 per kWh? Are you doing a lot of free charging?

scottt said:

Um, WOW!

I'm thinking you may have slipped a decimal point here.....I'm currently averaging about 245 wH/mi, which means for 500 miles, I would have used about 120 kwH. At $0.11 per kwH, that works out to about $13. Still not bad for 500 miles of driving; even at a reasonable 25 mpg, that same distance would have consumed 20 gallons of gasoline, which at California prices, would cost you close to $75.

Keith

campfamily said:
I'm currently averaging about 245 wH/mi, which means for 500 miles, I would have used about 120 kwH. At $0.11 per kwH, that works out to about $13.
Such a calculation will be roughly correct, but remember that what the car indicates as "energy consumed" only measures what came "out of" the battery. But, this amount is different (less) than what was "put into" the battery when charging it.

This is because the charging process is not 100% efficient (it is more like 80-90% efficient) so, in the end, the car's measurement of energy consumed from the battery only accounts for 80-90% of the energy that was actually required "from the wall". In other words, the car's numbers do not include the "charging overhead".

So, using only the car's measurements, you will need to inflate your numbers by 10-20% (roughly approximating the charging overhead) to more truly estimate the amount of energy consumed -- and thus get closer to the true cost.

Better still is to use an external measure, such as a Kill-A-Watt device, to determine how much electricity was consumed from the wall when charging the car. This will account for any charging overhead (and will do so precisely) since it will naturally be included in the measurement.

WattsUp said:
campfamily said:
I'm currently averaging about 245 wH/mi, which means for 500 miles, I would have used about 120 kwH. At $0.11 per kwH, that works out to about $13.
Such a calculation will be roughly correct, but remember that what the car indicates as "energy consumed" only measures what came "out of" the battery. But, this amount is different (less) than what was "put into" the battery when charging it.

This is because the charging process is not 100% efficient (it is more like 80-90% efficient) so, in the end, the car's measurement of energy consumed from the battery only accounts for 80-90% of the energy that was actually required "from the wall". In other words, the car's numbers do not include the "charging overhead".

So, using only the car's measurements, you will need to inflate your numbers by 10-20% (roughly approximating the charging overhead) to more truly estimate the amount of energy consumed -- and thus get closer to the true cost.

Better still is to use an external measure, such as a Kill-A-Watt device, to determine how much electricity was consumed from the wall when charging the car. This will account for any charging overhead (and will do so precisely) since it will naturally be included in the measurement.

Watts - you are correct, I did not factor in charging efficiency into my equation. Using 85%, my $13.00 becomes $15.00, which is exactly 10X more than what the OP is claiming. Thus, once again, my assertion that a decimal point got slipped.

BTW, I think you also slipped a decimal point in your post (which you submitted while I was typing mine!!! LOL). Isn't $1.50 / 158 equal to ~$.01, not ~$.001?

Keith

campfamily said:
BTW, I think you also slipped a decimal point in your post (which you submitted while I was typing mine!!! LOL). Isn't $1.50 / 158 equal to ~$.01, not ~$.001?
Haha.. thanks, yeah. I fixed it. :oops:

WattsUp said:
scottt said:

Hmm, the numbers don't seem to add up.

To drive 500 miles in the FFE, I estimate you would need about 158 kWh:

(500 miles / 76 mile range) * ~24 kWh used per charge = ~158 kWh

$1.50 / 158 kWh = ~$0.01 cents per kWh

So, how are you paying $0.01 per kWh? Are you doing a lot of free charging?

I couldn't believe it either. I've only charged at the house. I'm on a smart meter, and the cheapest time is 1am - 5am. My charge for that period (for the month) was $1.67. Figure at least $0.17 was the air conditioner, washing machine, dish washer, etc.

August data
Fusion Energi

The Fusion should have been 100% EV, but the stupid dealership somehow managed to make the ICE turn on & burn 0.02 gallons even though the HVB was fully charged. They did a PCM update per a recall which wipes out the Lifetime Brake score. On the short trip they drove after doing their updates they got a brake score of less than 60% according to MFM. That trip was 100% EV, so they must have done other driving in the car to burn gas. The Lifetime Brake score when I got the car back from them was around 40%. What idiots!!!

Focus Electric

Not sure why it does not collect the final data, when I get parked in the garage, unless it is a signal thing.

The 17miles today was from work to home.

Back