Amazing range ;)

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are so many possibilities.

One that occurred to me after posting was that the system could be linked to WAZE or a similar network. This would provide actual speeds along the route (rather than assuming speed limits) and improve the model accordingly.

There is a site called VELOROUTES.COM which helps bicyclists plan trips with regard to elevation changes. Give it a route and it provides the detailed elevation profile. This is equally useful to us.

And even today's GOM would be improved if its estimates were adjusted based on the immediate grade. Today, when you start up a grade, the range estimate drops because the GOM doesn't know whether the grade is a mile long or 50 miles long, and it doesn't know whether there is a long downhill to follow. But the Nav system knows where you are and the elevations are available, so it could in principle adjust the range estimate appropriately.

Although it violates my idea of "software changes only", one could even outfit the car with a little pitot tube and measure airspeed directly rather than relying on weather reports. These are sold for model airplanes and cost only a few dollars.

The bummer is that these features should preferably be integrated into the car, not require a separate tablet or laptop. This puts its development into the hands of the car maker, not so easily done by a third party as an accessory.

michael said:
The bummer is that these features should preferably be integrated into the car, not require a separate tablet or laptop.
Yes. Although now that you've said that, it does sound like a fun project (for "somebody") to create an app that, with a simple OBD reader to check the battery state of charge (and perhaps other things, but SOC would be the minimum) and provide a "better" GOM than Ford did. I'm assuming also that the app would have access to GPS, maps, and the internet, so it could do some of the intelligent things we've been discussing.

They have something like that called MyEV by MyCarma. It was an indiegogo project.

pjam3 said:
They have something like that called MyEV by MyCarma. It was an indiegogo project.
Thanks for the pointer, but... seems meh.

MyEV appears more about recording and sharing your "EV driving stats", rather than being a useful tool for range prediction or trip planning.

http://www.mycarma.com/products/myev/

Actually this would fall more in line with the Ford experiments/challenges.

In the past Ford has challenged people with coming up with smartphone apps for their cars.
http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Pages/Ford%20Initiates%20Open%20Innovation%20Approach%20to%20Finding%20Innovative%20Mobility%20Solutions;%20Launches%20Innovate%20Mobility%20Challenge%20Seri.aspx

I think most car companies have given up on these internal apps and turned to Android Auto or Apple Auto and any developers for those systems. They just have to support what exists for a bit, I mean ford used to partner with Microsoft, but that isn't the case anymore, so it's hard to upgrade or update things when your entire system goes to different software, hardware and companies.

pjam3 said:
I think most car companies have given up on these internal apps and turned to Android Auto or Apple Auto and any developers for those systems. They just have to support what exists for a bit, I mean ford used to partner with Microsoft, but that isn't the case anymore, so it's hard to upgrade or update things when your entire system goes to different software, hardware and companies.
Sort of: Car companies are supporting Android Auto & Apple's car solution because they see the writing on the wall: competition. Once one OEM incorporated both they all had to otherwise they'd lose sales.

The Microsoft thing is a completely different story: B-Squared (the original vendor who wrote MyFord Touch) botched the job so badly that they had to call in Microsoft to fix everything (it was B-Squared that decided to use a Microsoft platform for MFT). Add to that different vendors making the hardware and you have a recipe for disaster (in my wife's Escape the MFT unit seems to have a mind of its own not liking her phone at all--it was made by a different hardware vendor than the MFT in the FFE--we've been lucky in that respect).

Clearly you haven't seen Ford's new Sync 3 system: All developed by a single vendor; everything software & hardware. Its what MFT should have been: fast, smartphone like features, its really nice. (Sync 3 does support both Android Auto and Apple Car.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2u3DSTPALs

Anybody seeing a different range estimate between the car GOM and the MFM app. The last week or so my MFM app says ~65 miles fully charged and the car has readily 80-83 miles when you get in. It has been inaccurate since my extended trip to NatDriveELEC week.

I also noted the miles driven difference in the Trends page and the Vehicle Info page
H

Is it accurately tracking your trips with the wrong values (perhaps the US/metric setting changed on you?) or is it just not tracking your trips (car can't communicate with the servers)?

Lithium said:
The last week or so my MFM app says ~65 miles fully charged and the car has readily 80-83 miles when you get in.
Did you try refreshing the app several times? I have seen the range estimate change with each refresh until it is eventually correct.

This happens to me every once in a while. I haven't found anything that will fix it until I drive the vehicle. I'm always having issues with MFM, not as bad as hybridbear, but issues. About 20-30% of the time I don't get a brake or overall driving score. It occasionally gives me wrong battery information and I have seen the red battery once or twice.

Lithium said:
Anybody seeing a different range estimate between the car GOM and the MFM app. The last week or so my MFM app says ~65 miles fully charged and the car has readily 80-83 miles when you get in. It has been inaccurate since my extended trip to NatDriveELEC week.

I also noted the miles driven difference in the Trends page and the Vehicle Info page
H
We see this fairly often. I think it somewhat has to do with key personalization & with climate control settings. I'm not sure what triggers the difference. We'll often see a range estimate in MFM as if the heat was turned on, when really it's the AC that was left on so that we can remote start the car & have it cool down.

If only the Road Patrol, would put in a generator with 230 vac, we could get enough charge in 30 minutes, (average stop for them) to get to the nearest charge station or home.

LOL

Yesterday I got home with so little charge left that I got "battery depleted, stop safely now" while in my driveway.

But the idiot GOM was so confused with my careful driving that with 2% charge left, it was showing 83 miles range.

Please don't tell me anyone would know that wasn't really the case, yes, I knew it and understood I was running on sparks. The question is why the people who wrote the code for the GOM didn't know such things too.

The GOM on our 2015 KIA SOUL EV is almost perfect and we get 100-120 real world miles even in the highway with Air Cond on. It never jumps down as we drive or hit the highway.

My 2013 FFE jumps a lot. Most days on a full charge it shows 100-115 mile range. I count on 80-90 most days but it drops if I go fast like on the highway instead of city roads that are 35-45 mph.

The amazing thing is the battery capacity , measured with a SCAN GAUGE from Linear logic show we have not lots any capacity in 3 years in the HOT Phoenix area with over 20K miles. It's a great car and FORD got the right batteries and cooling design. At this rate it will last over 20 years at 80-90% capacity. Better than any electric I have seen. If they had a Fast Charge Port and Heat pump cooling like our SOUL I could drive it for years to come. BTW- we checked 10 FORDs from hybrids to plugins and 100% Electric here in Phoenix and all were 100% capacity even after 2-3 years use !

In my experience the ETE reported by scan gauge or forscan is not a dependable estimate of battery capacity. The trip usage seems better. Please run the car down to exhaustion using the heater at full blast. See what's shown on the trip meter. I think it will show a different story. Please tell us what you find.

With weather that's warm enough to drive with the windows down without needing A/C I have started seeing some wild guess-o-meter predictions of miles available at a full charge.
This morning I left home with 116 miles showing, by the time I drove a block it was down to only 110, but then it briefly went all the way up to 117! I tried to get a pic of the 117, but my light turned green and it dropped to 116 as soon as I touched the accelerator.

This one is from back on April 24th, after doing a ton of city driving on April 23rd with a Wh/mi for the day of around 170 over 50+ miles, including my last 12-13 mile trip at around 150 Wh/mi.

Back