Seems that iOS 9.1 broke text messaging with SYNC

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

So, I made the mistake of updating my iPhone 6 from iOS 8.4 to 9.1.

Aside from being apparently a flakey iOS update (it erased all the music on my phone without warning; no big deal, I can restore it), text messages no longer ring through SYNC.

I've checked all the obvious things (made sure my phone is not it "silence mode", checked the notification settings, etc.). I've also tried turning Bluetooth on/off on the phone, disconnecting and reconnecting the phone SYNC, and re-pairing the phone via Bluetooth.

Anybody else seen this? Do you have a fix?

WattsUp said:
So, I made the mistake of updating my iPhone 6 from iOS 8.4 to 9.1.

Aside from being apparently a flakey iOS update (it erased all the music on my phone without warning; no big deal, I can restore it), text messages no longer ring through SYNC.

I've checked all the obvious things (made sure my phone is not it "silence mode", checked the notification settings, etc.). I've also tried turning Bluetooth on/off on the phone, disconnecting and reconnecting the phone SYNC, and re-pairing the phone via Bluetooth.

Make sure the "Show Notifications" is turned on for the Bluetooth Sync settings on your phone. Mine got turned off after the update.

WattsUp said:
Outside of the suggestion above from scottt, which it sounds like you may have done already, I don't know what to say.

Did you install the Sync update that adds Siri Eyes Free? I think my wife's iPhone is on 9.1 & our car has Sync 3.8. Text messages work still for her.

hybridbear said:
Did you install the Sync update that adds Siri Eyes Free?
Yeah, I did. And text messages were working fine with SYNC before I updated to iOS 9.1.

I think Scott may have hit on the issue. "Show Notifications" was off under the Bluetooth settings for the "SYNC" device on my iPhone. I haven't verified if this has fixed the issue yet.

Blah... increasingly disappointed with Apple. They are slowly turning into Microsoft.

WattsUp said:
"Show Notifications" was off under the Bluetooth settings for the "SYNC" device on my iPhone. I haven't verified if this has fixed the issue yet.
This is your issue. Whenever you have to redo the pairing with the car (like after installing a Sync update) the "Show Notifications" option defaults to off.

How do you turn off automatically starting iTunes whenever I connect to the car? I think that is a really dumb feature. Even worse, how do I set the default to use the car's mic and speaker? When I get or sometimes make a call, even if I am connected to the car the default is the iphone and I have to click to set the speaker and mic to sync....when I'm driving. This is dangerous.

My Android phones don't do this. Thinking about dumping iOS for good.

After iOS 9.1 update, I had the same issue with text messages not showing up on Sync. The notifications in bluetooth had to be turned on and I had to go through one power cycle in the car to get this working again.

Olagon said:
How do you turn off automatically starting iTunes whenever I connect to the car?
Are you plugging the iPhone into the car with a USB cable? If so, don't do that. Just use Bluetooth.

When I first got my FFE, I tried using a normal "sync" USB cable to connect my iPhone to the car, but abandoned it because of the funky behaviors you mention. Working with my iPhone only over Bluetooth is much better.

If you want to charge the phone in the car, either use a "power-only" USB cable (with no "sync" connections) or a USB power adapter in the 12V jack.

There is an autoplay setting you can turn off in MFT settings (under media device I think).

Turning that feature off will prevent the radio from automatically playing the alphabetically first song on your phone every time you plug it in (yeah how do I know which song is always played! LOL).

hybridbear said:
This is your issue. Whenever you have to redo the pairing with the car (like after installing a Sync update) the "Show Notifications" option defaults to off.
Yup, it was. Text messages started ringing through SYNC again after making sure that option was checked.

Thanks! :)

One thing I discovered yesterday while driving is the new SYNC feature that allows you to activate Siri by holding the SYNC button down only works if your phone is unlocked. Anybody know a way to circumvent that "feature"? (Other than bypassing the autolock feature on the phone; my phone is provided by my company, and not only do they require autolock, the password isn't the standard iPhone password of 4 numbers, it is 10 characters, including caps, numbers and special characters; not real easy to do while driving!!).

campfamily said:
One thing I discovered yesterday while driving is the new SYNC feature that allows you to activate Siri by holding the SYNC button down only works if your phone is unlocked. Anybody know a way to circumvent that "feature"? (Other than bypassing the autolock feature on the phone; my phone is provided by my company, and not only do they require autolock, the password isn't the standard iPhone password of 4 numbers, it is 10 characters, including caps, numbers and special characters; not real easy to do while driving!!).
Siri works for me while holding the voice paddle even when the iPhone screen is dark & locked... Does your iPhone have the fingerprint sensor for easier unlocking?

hybridbear said:
campfamily said:
Siri works for me while holding the voice paddle even when the iPhone screen is dark & locked... Does your iPhone have the fingerprint sensor for easier unlocking?

It does, but it is de-activated by my company. I wonder if it is something specific to my phone.......

campfamily said:

I was wondering why my Siri Eyes free wasn't working, now I know.

I disabled Siri from the lock screen for security. To use SEF I have to turn it back on? Thus leaving my phone accessible to anyone who touches it and has a voice? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Guess I'll live without SEF.

scottt said:
I disabled Siri from the lock screen for security. To use SEF I have to turn it back on? Thus leaving my phone accessible to anyone who touches it and has a voice? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Guess I'll live without SEF.
Even if you can access Siri from the lock screen, you can't ask her to do everything you can when the phone is unlocked.

Still, I can understand why you might it disabled.

Back