OBD Scan Tools Info / Data

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand it, you said:

Voltage variation
One of the ways to identify HVB health is to monitor voltage variation. The higher the variation the more taxing it is for the battery. When the variation increases the weaker cells are being more heavily taxed which makes them even weaker. In the Focus Electric the voltage variation always shows 0.01 as a minimum. The voltage variation increases by 1/100th of a volt for each 17 kW or so of power from the HVB. When the HVB SOC is low the variation goes up.

I can tell that the Focus Electric pack, with 15,000+ EV miles, is weaker than the Fusion Energi pack with its ~5000 EV miles. Another point of reference: the Focus Electric reports 2438 kWh used from the HVB is the ~11,000 miles we've had it. The Fusion Energi reports 1085 kWh used in the ~12,000 miles we've had it.

The Fusion Energi voltage variation usually shows 0.00 in FORScan. With Torque Pro I can see 3 decimal places for the voltage variation, the number reported by the BECM. The Energi voltage variation at rest is usually 0.003 volts, compared to the Focus which is 0.01 volts. It takes about 23-25 kW of power draw for the HVB to make the Fusion Energi pack voltage variation increase to 0.02, compared to 17 kW in the Focus.

I'm curious what a new Focus Electric would report for voltage variation.

So if I'm understanding correctly, you are seeing about 107/17 or approximately 6/100 V increase in variation at full throttle. This is reasonably consistent with the 0.07 V roughly that I'm seeing at full throttle.

As I noted, there is a brief (a second or two) right after the application of full throttle when the variation may be more, occasionally as much as 0.1 V or so. My understanding is that that some cells may have a different Voltage sag time characteristic from others, and that this is also an indicator of both SOC and battery health.

I will continue to check, but my impression is that at steady state full throttle, for as long as I can hold it, the variation is in the approximate range of 0.06 to 0.07 V. What I need is a long, steep hill, don't have one handy...

Ok all. Please forgive me being dumb on this topic but I tried to get a general idea on the OBD2 tool because in a little jealous of a friend who has one for his Nissan Leaf using LeafSpy.

Questions:

1. What's the best OBD2 adapter that's not expensive.
2. What's the best iOS app to use.
3 What should I be looking for when I do get an adapter.

What I like about LeafSpy is the battery temperature and the charge level of the batteries.

I hope I can get some help on this, any is always appreciated.

Just my opinion, as I just in the last day or so did this...

1. It sound like use with an IOS device is iffy. I had an old android tablet around and it works fine. It turns out you can get Android tablets these days for far less than you would imagine. I think that's the way to go if you don't have one already.

2. Forscan for Android works. It costs like $4

3. I got the following from Amazon

ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows

It was just over $60. Other people here have been getting a more capable (MX) unit, but it costs a little more and it seems my cheaper one does the important tasks. The more capable unit is only about $20 more, so it is also a fine choice.

I dithered a long time, not wanting to get involved in hassles getting things to work. But my experience is that this combo works. For around $100, you are in business.

Here is my commute this morning: Commute data (xlsx spreadsheet)

I was able to get a max variance of 0.16 during a few max acceleration events (very short: from 0 up to about 50 mph). Other than that steady state was between 0.01 and 0.02.

My car has 24,500 miles on it and (as you can see in the spreadsheet) the battery "age" is 26 months as reported by the BECM.

Other interesting info:
  • the ETE value this morning was 19.01 kWh--this was after it skipped the precondition so I remote started it.
  • When the recording started the dash was reading 99% ("real" state was 90%) thus my remote starting consumed more power than my EVSE could provide for the 15 minutes it ran before I left
  • The ambient temp around the car at the time was mid to high 70s (inside our garage)

Ok, so my battery seems healthy but fading.

My variance is also 10 to 20 mV at cruise, peaks for a few seconds at perhaps 100 mV even when the battery is at around 35% SOC. But the main difference is my reported ETE is down to 18 kWh, and the actual value is lower yet, 17 or maybe in the 16's as measured by the trip meter.

40K miles in 22 months of use, battery age around 26 months.

My ODB2 does not work on the FFE, it works fine on my wife Fusion, and my Mustang.

What model do you guys suggest I order, and a link please. or not. :)

I bought the following:

ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows

It was just over $60. Other people here have been getting a more capable (MX) unit, but it costs a little more and it seems my cheaper one does the important tasks. The more capable unit is only about $20 more, so it is also a fine choice.

I used it with Forscan and an old Sony Android tablet. It works.

Not sure why anyone would spend more then the $10 for the least expensive ELM. Unless you're data logging like 15+ PIDs at the same time and need super high refresh rates, theres no reason for the expensive ELM's.

I sell modified ELM327's (cheap ones) that have a switch in them to allow you to view the modules and live data from MS-CAN. This gives you access to several other modules.

What I really want to do is to follow the battery range, electric vs gas comparison, battery temperature, charge info, and anything else easy to understand. I'm still rather new to this and want to learn more.

breeves002 said:
Not sure why anyone would spend more then the $10 for the least expensive ELM. Unless you're data logging like 15+ PIDs at the same time and need super high refresh rates, theres no reason for the expensive ELM's.

I sell modified ELM327's (cheap ones) that have a switch in them to allow you to view the modules and live data from MS-CAN. This gives you access to several other modules.

My ELM327 doesnt seem to work with the Ford Focus Electric I have. It just returns errors whenever I request some of the simplest stuff. I can't even get error codes out of it. What sort of modifications do you make or where can I get a cheap bluetooth reader that will work on the FFE?

The newest version of FORScan allows the user to adjust the number of decimal places & change the min/max displays of the dials. It's very useful to be able to make these changes.

Hello...

I want to know about OBD scan tool and also OBD-II scanner..., because my friend uses this tool and I want to know about it..
So, please tell me some information about OBD scanners..??

Document management Inc

hello my dears.
i want diagnostic software for my android phone.
i have 2017 FFE
i have OBD ELM327 and it can make diagnostic and show DTC-s on my second electric car nissan leaf with leaf spy and want to make similar for my FFE 2017. can anyone help me?

Back