Predicted Range

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluke

After charging today, my car now shows a predicted range of 103 miles! The range prediction figure has been generally on the rise since I got the car two weeks ago, starting at around 75 miles. What are others seeing?

I believe that's because the Focus Electric calculates that value based on previous driving styles so as you drive better, it increased it's prediction from 76 miles to 103 miles.

Maybe we should start a thread to see who can get the highest number?

klaus said:
I believe that's because the Focus Electric calculates that value based on previous driving styles so as you drive better, it increased it's prediction from 76 miles to 103 miles.

Maybe we should start a thread to see who can get the highest number?

Yes, the Focus does adjust the prediction based on driving style, driving conditions (hills vs. flat, average speed) and probably ambient temperature as well. I've driven a Chevrolet Volt for a bit more than a year and it uses these inputs (Three T's: Technique, Terrain & Temperature) to determine the predicted range. The Volt uses inputs from the previous 20 charge cycles to determine the prediction and has proven to be remarkably accurate - usually to within 2-3 miles per charge. The Focus appears to use fewer charge cycles in determining the prediction as the number changes more rapidly (in this case increasing).

Fluke - I gotta fess up.... My style of driving puts me into a consistent 80 miles on the battery each morning. I have had 95 early after my delivery, but not anymore....

I'm seeing in the high 70s so far. I live on a big hill and typically do not stick to the speed limit on the freeways. The trek up the hill to my house is a killer and I've gotten down to the 10 mile warning a couple times.

I found it's best to ditch the budget display. It was getting depressing having negative status all the time. It was rare that I'd add miles. If I was lucky, I'd get back some miles that were taken away on the freeway.

Now I just use the trip 2 odometer. I reset it at each full charge. My last two fill ups yielded 81 and 79? respectively. The 81 miles were actual miles with 0 miles left on the battery. The car had less than full power if I mashed the accelerator, but it got me the last two blocks home. It would be interesting to know exactly how much crawl home range from the 0 mile point.

Photo%2520Sep%252027%252C%252022%252047%252002.jpg

The last trip was 70 miles on the odometer with 9 miles left on the battery. About 2/3 of all miles were freeway between 65 and 70 MPH.

I was hoping to be able to brag about better range, but it's not bad enough to think there's something wrong with the car. I'm so addicted to driving electric that I'd hate to leave the car at the dealer and have to drive on gas while they have it. I did that once already and couldn't wait to get back into the FFE.

Jim,

I'm surprised you take her all the way to 0 miles! I don't think I'd have the stomach to try that. Your actual numbers look pretty similar to mine. If I drive strictly 65 mph (or a bit slower) on my 55 mile, mostly-freeway round-trip commute I will see 76 to 80 mile starting range after a couple of days. Now that I've driven a few months with the FFE, I find I have become less concerned with the range numbers as I know exactly how to raise and lower them with my driving choices and habits. I do have a hill that I have to climb both ways and I know my efficiency is reduced a little.

I use a spreadsheet to track battery capacity and that data appears to match yours. I think Ford sets Usable Capacity to ~85% of 23 kWh or 19.5 kWh. Here are some of my sample numbers below:

Date: 24-Sep-12
Mileage: 3615
Miles This Charge: 58.0
Average Efficiency (Wh/mile): 243
Total Energy (kWh): 14.1
Used Capacity (%): 72%
Estimated Capacity (kWh): 19.6

Date: 25-Sep-12
Mileage: 3670.8
Miles This Charge: 55.3
Average Efficiency (Wh/mile): 259
Total Energy (kWh): 14.3
Used Capacity (%): 74%
Estimated Capacity (kWh): 19.3

Tim

I've only taken the car to 0 miles twice. I ran it down by getting very close to home with about 2 or 3 miles left and driving around the neighborhood, spiraling closer to home so I wasn't more than a couple of blocks from my house. I'm really curious to know how much "crawl home" range is left after the 0 mile mark. It probably varies.

Keeping it under 70 MPH on the freeway is yielding about 80 miles of range per charge. My lifetime average is down to 257 Wh / mile. It's hard not to go with the flow of traffic, which is about 70 - 75 around here.

I can easily make three one way trips between work and home with miles left over for a few errands.

I'm just relieved that there's nothing wrong with the car.

Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to join the 110+ mile per charge club. Not easy to do here the the SF Bay Area.

Back