Buying 2012

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popko1

My current car needs some work and I believe I have decided to move on to something a bit newer. My dilemma, I would love to move to a full electric without dropping a ton of money. My ultimate goal is to get something to use until the Tesla Model 3 is out and available. I don't feel comfortable with a lease since I want to decide myself when to sell it without a penalty fee.

Do people recommend purchasing the 2012 FFE (found some at carmax for 15,000) or is the tech outdated on that years model vs 2013. Also I could be reading it wrong but it seems like quite a few people here don't look on the cars future with much hope. Should I even consider it or just wait out with my gasoline car till the 3 is released.

**Additional info. Work is 5 miles away with some chargers avalible (if unoccupied). Home is an apartment and I believe the plug in my garage is paid for by my neighbor and I don't want to make an enemy. Haha.

popko1 said:
Also I could be reading it wrong but it seems like quite a few people here don't look on the cars future with much hope.
That really shouldn't matter in your decision because you're considering a 2012. What does it matter if Ford stops building it in 2018?

It is a very good car and should last you--especially given your short commute.

There basically is no difference between the 2012 and a 2015 (even a 2016 only gets the new Sync 3). There may be slight software differences between the model years but it really isn't that much.

Should you get the 2012? Maybe. Look around you may find a brand new one for only a few thousand more (although since you don't want to lease purchasing it means you'd have to wait for the $7500 Federal tax until filing time). Thus a used one may be your best bet.

I'd want to check on the range/battery loss of a used one (again though your commute is so short even a few % of battery loss wouldn't affect you that much).

Great! I really like the look of the focus electrics interior much more then the volt which seems like my only other option. (Not a fan of the leaf). That helps answer one of my biggest questions. Difference between years. Thanks so much for the info!!

Actually the 2012 year (the first model year for the FFE) has a unique added feature, the Homelink device. They removed that for the 2013-2015 model years.
However if the FFE was built prior to mid May 2014, the high voltage wiring harness may need to be replaced if you get the SSN issue.
Not sure if it would still be under warranty for that after the original 3 years? Might want to check into that since it might be a significant cost if not under warranty.

popko1 said:
My current car needs some work and I believe I have decided to move on to something a bit newer. My dilemma, I would love to move to a full electric without dropping a ton of money. My ultimate goal is to get something to use until the Tesla Model 3 is out and available. I don't feel comfortable with a lease since I want to decide myself when to sell it without a penalty fee.

Do people recommend purchasing the 2012 FFE (found some at carmax for 15,000) or is the tech outdated on that years model vs 2013. Also I could be reading it wrong but it seems like quite a few people here don't look on the cars future with much hope. Should I even consider it or just wait out with my gasoline car till the 3 is released.

**Additional info. Work is 5 miles away with some chargers avalible (if unoccupied). Home is an apartment and I believe the plug in my garage is paid for by my neighbor and I don't want to make an enemy. Haha.

$15,000 for a 2012 is WAY too much.

I paid $15,389.99 for my 2015 with no state incentive.

NightHawk said:
Actually the 2012 year (the first model year for the FFE) has a unique added feature, the Homelink device. They removed that for the 2013-2015 model years.
The 2012 also had rain sensing wipers & an auto-dimming rear view mirror. We would have preferred to get a 2012 for those features, but we ended up with a 2013. I agree that $15,000 is way too much money. I'd look for one around $10-11k with about 30k miles (i.e. a lease return).

With FORScan installed on an Android tablet, iPhone/iPad/iPod or a Windows computer and an OBDLink scanner you can read detailed parameters about the car, including checking to see what kind of capacity the HVB has left.

Thanks for all the information everyone. It really does help a lot. I think I'm more confident in my decision to get a FFE but am looking around for better deals then carmax, and it's good to know about the cable issue/differences in years. Maybe by next week I'll be driving electric!!

jmueller065 said:
popko1 said:
Also I could be reading it wrong but it seems like quite a few people here don't look on the cars future with much hope.
That really shouldn't matter in your decision because you're considering a 2012. What does it matter if Ford stops building it in 2018?
It is a very good car and should last you--especially given your short commute.

There basically is no difference between the 2012 and a 2015 (even a 2016 only gets the new Sync 3). There may be slight software differences between the model years but it really isn't that much.
2012 had some other small advantages in addition to the "Homelink" remote control for garage door, in my opinion. (I drove one for 3 years, to end of lease.) E.g.:
Handbrake was in a better location, compared to 2015 model.
Center console was better arranged, I think, with slightly better elbow rest possibility (and a 12V outlet for rear passengers).
Door handle touch-sensor worked for rear doors too (so didn't have to open a front door first).
I was strongly tempted to buy it, rather than return it to dealer.

Software: should be able to update that at any dealer easily, I imagine.

JTCalif said:
Door handle touch-sensor worked for rear doors too (so didn't have to open a front door first).
The 2015 took this feature away? This should be added to the FFE Changes thread then.

I have a 2012, silver with leather and about 27k miles or so.
Maybe selling it...my commute just got a whole lot longer and need something with more range.
LMK if your interested, shoot me a pm
Thanks,

I am visiting this post for the first time, and well, the market has changed. I see 2013 FFE's anywhere from 8 to 10K, mileage tends to be around 18,000 to 24,000. I see them in Cali for less, but even in PA I have seen a few for 10K range.

Considering a year ago I looked at similar FFE's in my area and they were asking 20K for two year old versions with similar miles. Unless there is a giant tail off in battery capacity, I think its becoming a value in the 7 to 8K range to own.

I drove one a year ago and was very impressed with the vehicle, but not 20k impressed. I tend to hold on to vehicles a long time, my current Focus is a 2005 ZX3 and I have just rolled 232,000 on it. My previous car was a 95 Cavalier and drove it to 270,000. So a ICE vehicle will still be a need, but for a work and local trip car, I thought the FFE would fit the bill.

ken1939 said:
I am visiting this post for the first time, and well, the market has changed. I see 2013 FFE's anywhere from 8 to 10K, mileage tends to be around 18,000 to 24,000. I see them in Cali for less, but even in PA I have seen a few for 10K range.

Considering a year ago I looked at similar FFE's in my area and they were asking 20K for two year old versions with similar miles. Unless there is a giant tail off in battery capacity, I think its becoming a value in the 7 to 8K range to own.

I drove one a year ago and was very impressed with the vehicle, but not 20k impressed. I tend to hold on to vehicles a long time, my current Focus is a 2005 ZX3 and I have just rolled 232,000 on it. My previous car was a 95 Cavalier and drove it to 270,000. So a ICE vehicle will still be a need, but for a work and local trip car, I thought the FFE would fit the bill.

After incentives ($7500 federal, $2500 state), I paid a bit over $14K for my 2015 brand new. Probably would struggle to get much more than half that right now.....but, not having to buy gas, pay for maintenance, and perhaps most importantly, drive in the carpool lane, is more than worth it.

campfamily said:
but, not having to buy gas, pay for maintenance, and perhaps most importantly, drive in the carpool lane, is more than worth it.
Agreed.

But, for me, just driving a nice EV is worth it alone.

Whenever I get in a normal car or, ugh... have to actually drive one... I feel like I'm riding in a Model T.

Back