2012 FFE Trailer hitch

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok but who's the Blue Candy FFE is that behind yours? Anyone on here?

I know it isn't mine--which would make an impressive trek for an FFE (2200+ miles).

jmueller065 said:
Ok but who's the Blue Candy FFE is that behind yours? Anyone on here?.
That blue candy FFE actually belongs to FoMoCo. Their exhibit was next to mine.

Interestingly, Ford removed the FFE a few hours into the Huntington Beach Drive Electric event because the Ford marketing director came by to visit and was irritated that the third party contractor did not bring an FFE for the ride n' drive. They only brought C-Max and Fusion Energis. So the marketing director removed the FFE from display and put it into service as a test vehicle. (The independent contractor told me that, "They never do that.")

triangles said:
Maybe that's where mine got to! It's been MIA while in transit to the dealer for over a month.
I think you have a good point there. I seem to have overheard the Ford rep saying, "Yeah, this FFE was headed to some buyer in Toledo, Ohio, but we grabbed it off the truck and brought it here." :eek: :lol:

Billy Bob EV said:
So I make the assumption that a "regular" Curt or Reese hitch for a 2015 Focus will not work?
I can't answer that definitively However very little has changed with the 2015 models. I would guess everything about hitches that applied to the 2012-2014 models applies to the 2015 model. I would be very surprised if you could just bolt up a hitch designed for the ICE focus.

With enough cutting/welding/drilling you can probably get about anything to work. One nice thing about the ecohitch is the 2" hitch receiver. Since I plan to use the hitch for a bike rack, the larger receiver at least in theory should resist rotation better than the 1 1/4" ones.

Just was wondering if anyone had tried a 2015 or earlier hitch made for a Focus gas! looking at installation instructions, they say to unbolt the transverse mounted muffler, basically sliding the hitch in between. I'll have to go to a dealer and measure a gas version to see if the shroud is lower or what's difference. Thanks

Just was wondering if anyone had tried a 2015 or earlier hitch made for a Focus gas! looking at installation instructions, they say to unbolt the transverse mounted muffler, basically sliding the hitch in between. I'll have to go to a dealer and measure a gas version to see if the shroud is lower or what's difference. Thanks

Billy Bob EV said:

Read the first page of this thread. The storage bin where your inflator/convience charge cord are stored is where the muffler is on the gas car. Because of the way this bin is attached to the car you can't simply bolt up a hitch from a gas car. I don't think anything in this area has changed on the 2015 model.

triangles said:
Because of the way this bin is attached to the car you can't simply bolt up a hitch from a gas car. I don't think anything in this area has changed on the 2015 model.
But (and mostly directed at "Billy Bob EV") note there is at least one company that makes a hitch mount that does (specifically) fit the FFE. It is probably mentioned somewhere in this thread. I think the name was EcoHitch.

Any ideas on if there have been any changes to the FFE that would keep the EcoHitch from fitting a 2016? I talked to their support folks and they basically just shrugged and said they haven't tried it...

I'm 99% sure the 2015 and 2016 body panels are the same so if it fits a 2015 it should fit a 2016. I know this doesn't help much but I don't think ford changed anything to the "frame" just the front fascia and some body tweaks with the 2015+ models. I bought one for my 2014 but haven't installed it yet.

triangles said:
I'm 99% sure the 2015 and 2016 body panels are the same so if it fits a 2015 it should fit a 2016. I know this doesn't help much but I don't think ford changed anything to the "frame" just the front fascia and some body tweaks with the 2015+ models. I bought one for my 2014 but haven't installed it yet.

Did you buy an EcoHitch for your 2014 FFE? If so would love to hear if it fits. I want to buy one but the site says only up to 2013 and they also list other Fords that include 2015 years. Thanks!

Olagon said:
Did you buy an EcoHitch for your 2014 FFE? If so would love to hear if it fits. I want to buy one but the site says only up to 2013 and they also list other Fords that include 2015 years. Thanks!

Yes I bough an Ecohitch for my 2014. I don't plan to install it until April when I will use it. It will fit. There is no difference between the 2012-2014 FFE's other than ford removed some of the features such as rain sensing wipers and homelink to make the car cheaper. 2015 there were some slight sheet metal changes and the interior was changed. I am not certain but I think 2016 is the same as 2015 except it has Sync 3.

Olagon said:
triangles said:

I have the EcoHitch installed on my 2014 FFE. I use it for my hitch mounted bike rack and the fitment is perfect. I actually called the folks at Torklift Central and they were very honest that they were unsure because they had not actually physically had a 2014 in for them to test the fitment, but if the 2014 car was essentially the same as the two prior years, they were confident it would fit.

You can ready more about my experience with the EcoHitch and my Kuat Sherpa rack that I use with it at http://www.eastwestbrothersgarage.com/2015/12/product-review-kuat-sherpa-and-torklift.html.

FYI, installed the 2" EcoHitch on my 2016 FFE last weekend, fit no problems.

Installation was pretty easy, even solo with a couple of jacks, took about 4 hours. 1 hour of that was to hit the hardware store to get 4 new bolts because Torklift sent the wrong size...I know 7/16th looks a lot like 1/2 inch but come on... :roll:

Thule roof rack arrives later this week, then I'll be ready for summer :cool:

Back