Thinking about the car, questions

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't targeting Ford regarding the looks. I don't like the Ford EV because of the low range and that Ford doesn't seem to be increasing the range over the years. At least they are increasing the range for the Leaf and the Volt.

And the replies to the Volt. My problem is that let's say you don't use the gas for 5 months, what happens, gas usually goes bad after 3 months. And why would you want to deal with gas stations if you have an EV car. If they got rid of the engine, the gas tank, and other ICE parts, they would make room/weight for the battery... you could double the range this way easily....

So instead of worrying about just filling up the gas, now I have to worry about charging it? So on top of getting Level 2 charger I need to fill up. Its stupid.

slingxshot said:
I wasn't targeting Ford regarding the looks. I don't like the Ford EV because of the low range and that Ford doesn't seem to be increasing the range over the years. At least they are increasing the range for the Leaf and the Volt.

And the replies to the Volt. My problem is that let's say you don't use the gas for 5 months, what happens, gas usually goes bad after 3 months. And why would you want to deal with gas stations if you have an EV car. If they got rid of the engine, the gas tank, and other ICE parts, they would make room/weight for the battery... you could double the range this way easily....

So instead of worrying about just filling up the gas, now I have to worry about charging it? So on top of getting Level 2 charger I need to fill up. Its stupid.

I agree, wish Ford would increase the range. As I said earlier, if they would pack the FFE full of batteries, I'd get one. Ford briefly talked about a Bolt competitor, but I've seen no evidence anything is really happening. The Bolt seems pretty for-real, maybe more so than the Tesla 3.

With regard to the Volt...yes, every few months you do need to go to a gas stations, but for months at a time you need only charge up just like a pure EV. Until a cheaper, high mileage EV becomes available, it's not a bad compromise. Last time I went to a gas station, it had been so long that I forgot you had to punch in your zip code at the pump, couldn't figure out why it wasn't pumping.

Yes, if they got rid of the engine and gas tank in the Volt they could add a lot more battery, but the price would go up maybe $10,000. The Rav-4 EV had a 42 kWh battery and a sticker price over $50K. I might pay it, you might pay it, but most people would not. Even today, a lot of people think they are being cutting-edge by getting a hybrid.

100 gallons in a year and a half? Would rather it be zero, but I can live with that for now. Two years ago, I was burning that much every month.

One of my big reasons for getting a pure EV was ZERO maintenance. With the Volt you've still got an engine to deal with.

Just wish the FFE's MSRP was $30,000 years ago, so I could have done this years ago :)

Scott is correct: it is a Pleasure to skip all the oil changes, smog tests, filters, fan belts ...!
And no more drips in the parking space from a leaking oil drain plug.

Right, but if an FFE or other 70 mile class car won't do the job you need, what's the best alternative?

An $80 K Tesla?
A hybrid?

All I'm saying is that the Volt is affordable, runs on electricity most of the time, and has no range limits. Most of us here are big pure EV fans, me included. But they don't work for everybody; and fewer people yet are willing to take the leap.

And incidentally....while the FFE is essentially maintenance free, not all EVs have this same benefit. Tesla required a $600 annual inspection; For the Volt, two years maintenance is free, so on a three year lease, zero maintenance cost.

Does the Volt have the same "feature" that the Ford Energi models do with respect to gas: If the gas in the tank gets too old the Energi's purposely burn it off so it doesn't go bad (e.g. run the engine)?

Somewhat. I don't think it burns through the gas, but it runs the engine for a short while every few months if it hasn't run at all. The car has a pretty small tank (maybe 10 gallons) so you usually run through it within a few months. I'm not aware of any "feature" to empty the tank, just to give the engine occasional use.

I'm told the engine does run at extremely low temperatures (maybe below zero?) for initial cabin heat rather than depleting the battery. In my climate I've never see this.

Most of my friends are amazed at how little gas these things use. My niece visited for a week, drove all over LA, and at the end of her visit tried to refill the tank before returning the car. She apologized that it would only take 2 gallons, figured she wasn't able to refill it.

Pretty demanding audience here...if a car needs gas every few months, it's trash. If it ever needs maintenance, it's trash.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a committed EVer, drive my FFE 22,000 miles a year, but there are things it won't do.

I think the Volt can be set to manually use the gas engine if you want to burn up some old fuel?

Its all tradeoffs, an under 40mile commute is fine with an FFE - I make a 50mile round trip from home fully charged weekly for the past year even with mostly 65mph+ freeway driving with my FFE and have always had 20+mile range left when I got back home. Being anxious with range anxiety with an electric car is natural, but it does lessen as you get confident on the range you actually get especially with a regular route.

Also consider you may have opportunities at or near work or out shopping, etc. for charging with the 120v portable unit that stores in the car or from charging stations to get some extra range when you are concerned, but you may find that is not necessary over time. You can locate some nearby charging stations along the route in advance if you ever need one in an emergency in the few times the weather is super cold for example. Just plan ahead to alleviate any anxiety.

I have found over the past year with my FFE its worth a few minor concerns and the advantages far outweigh them, making very small changes in driving habits worth it. You can learn quickly how to gain several miles range by driving slower (except when going downhill) and braking more carefully for max regen.

michael said:
Right, but if an FFE or other 70 mile class car won't do the job you need, what's the best alternative?

An $80 K Tesla?
A hybrid?

All I'm saying is that the Volt is affordable, runs on electricity most of the time, and has no range limits. Most of us here are big pure EV fans, me included. But they don't work for everybody; and fewer people yet are willing to take the leap.

And incidentally....while the FFE is essentially maintenance free, not all EVs have this same benefit. Tesla required a $600 annual inspection; For the Volt, two years maintenance is free, so on a three year lease, zero maintenance cost.
I agree 100%! For us the Volt was not an option because of the lack of a 5th seat. I wish we could afford a Tesla. I was looking at CPO Teslas this morning & wishing we could afford one.

Back