Car getting delivered soon

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajolley

I've been lurking on this website for a while. I have ordered a new focus (candy blue) which should be delivered really soon now. While originally shopping, the price was very reasonable and I'm afraid now that they've made me wait so long for it, I won't have any bargaining power. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the best deal on a special order? My company does offer x-plan pricing, so I have that, but I'd like to drive a hard bargain and squeeze them out of as much as possible. :)
Also, when I finally get to take a look at it, is there anything specific I should look for to make sure everything is in good working order with no defects?

ajolley said:
I've been lurking on this website for a while. I have ordered a new focus (candy blue) which should be delivered really soon now. While originally shopping, the price was very reasonable and I'm afraid now that they've made me wait so long for it, I won't have any bargaining power. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the best deal on a special order? My company does offer x-plan pricing, so I have that, but I'd like to drive a hard bargain and squeeze them out of as much as possible. :)
Also, when I finally get to take a look at it, is there anything specific I should look for to make sure everything is in good working order with no defects?
The price wasn't pre-negotiated? When we special ordered our Fusion Hybrid the dealership gave us invoice price, no haggling. That was their standard policy. I'd shoot for the same thing now with the FFE. We also had X-Plan as an option, but the dealer gave us a better deal than X-Plan pricing.

I definitely asked them if I could get the same deal when the car came in and the answer was a resounding no. I figured if they tried to stray too much from the previous price, I'd take my deposit and run (or at least threaten to). I live in the SF Bay area if that makes a difference. I wasn't too impressed with the dealers here...

ajolley said:
[...] I'd take my deposit and run. I live in the SF Bay area if that makes a difference. I wasn't too impressed with the dealers here...
I did just that (take back my deposit and deal elsewhere) when 1st dealer in Richmond could not get the car from Mich. (scheduling problem). Ford store in Morgan Hill did Fast arrangement with a dealer in Colma CA to get me a car quickly; the price was no bargain, but then we were "early adopters" and FFE was scarce. Later, I found that shops in Petaluma and Novato are helpful and seem knowledgeable.
Where have you tried?

ajolley said:
I definitely asked them if I could get the same deal when the car came in and the answer was a resounding no. I figured if they tried to stray too much from the previous price, I'd take my deposit and run (or at least threaten to). I live in the SF Bay area if that makes a difference. I wasn't too impressed with the dealers here...

Wait a sec. They gave you a price, you ordered the car. Now the price is changing?????

Run, don't walk, from this dealer.

Is it really that unheard of to put a refundable deposit on a car and not have a price set in stone at the time of deposit? The two dealerships I talked to seemed to think this was normal...

That being said, I can always get my deposit back and walk/run away if they don't come through.

The deal I got was this for a candy blue with leather:

xplan price: 30103
-3500 financing credit
-1000 trade in credit (money on top of what they will give me for my current car)
-2500 California Rebate
-7500 Federal Tax (I know I have to wait until I file my return to get this)

This would come out to $15603 minus my trade in for my 12 year old car I currently have. I figure that's a pretty good deal for a car that's pretty much fully loaded (i.e. leather, navigation, premium sound). Much better than the nissan was offering for the leaf with the same options (minus quick charge) at the time.

The first dealer I went to was in Sunnyvale, which is most convenient for me. Their customer service was horrid and left me feeling they didn't care whether they sold me a car or not, so I left. So I went to Frontier Ford in Santa Clara, which is a little farther, but at least they return my phone calls.

ajolley said:
Is it really that unheard of to put a refundable deposit on a car and not have a price set in stone at the time of deposit? The two dealerships I talked to seemed to think this was normal...

That being said, I can always get my deposit back and walk/run away if they don't come through.

-3500 financing credit
-1000 trade in credit (money on top of what they will give me for my current car)
-2500 California Rebate

This would come out to $15603 minus my trade in for my 12 year old car I currently have. I figure that's a pretty good deal for a car that's pretty much fully loaded (i.e. leather, navigation, premium sound). Much better than the nissan was offering for the leaf with the same options (minus quick charge) at the time.

The first dealer I went to was in Sunnyvale, which is most convenient for me. Their customer service was horrid and left me feeling they didn't care whether they sold me a car or not, so I left. So I went to Frontier Ford in Santa Clara, which is a little farther, but at least they return my phone calls.

You can do much better......Sent you a PM......

campfamily said:
ajolley said:

-3500 financing credit
-2500 California Rebate

You can do much better......Sent you a PM......

Yes, you can do MUCH MUCH better. I was $15389.99 out the door without a trade in. And that's including taxes, stupid dealer processing fees, license plates, etc. AND, my state does NOT offer any rebate on electric cars.

I finally picked up my car last sunday and have been busy enjoying it. Here are the details:
MSRP 31435 (for candy blue with leather - xplan)
-1500 (customer savings)
-3500 (rebate for financing through ford - 0% for 60 Months)
+ 2600 sales tax
+ 400 license, destination, blah, blah
=29,500
- 2500 CA state rebate (already submitted)
-7500 federal tax rebate (come april)

I didn't get as much for my trade in as I would have liked, but I can't say I wasn't expecting that.

Thanks!

@scott, @campfamily,

Been lurking around here for a long time and will finally take the plunge when my LEAF lease is up end Oct!
Would you be able to let me know your FFE deals that you managed to get ? I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Either through this forum or PM would be great.

@ajolley, congrats on your new car!

Thanks to forum for being such a great resource!

kowki said:
@scott, @campfamily,

Been lurking around here for a long time and will finally take the plunge when my LEAF lease is up end Oct!
Would you be able to let me know your FFE deals that you managed to get ? I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Use truecar.com

damania said:
kowki said:
@scott, @campfamily,

Use truecar.com

Yes, tried TruCar and the Ford website several times throughout the summer, but does not seem to be close to the total out the door pricing that is less than $15389 (tax included) posted earlier.

Thx

kowki said:
damania said:
kowki said:
@scott, @campfamily,

Use truecar.com

Yes, tried TruCar and the Ford website several times throughout the summer, but does not seem to be close to the total out the door pricing that is less than $15389 (tax included) posted earlier.

Thx

It should be around $24500 without the taxes and fees for the base paint. I think they have an extra $500 incentive for 1st time loanees and there was maybe another incentive over Labor day weekend. You need to click incentives on truecar and checkmark all the incentives you qualify for.

kowki said:

Thx

The $15,389 includes Fed and State tax rebates, but those aren't included "out the door" you would pay about $10K more than that at the dealer and get any tax rebates you qualify for at a later date, a few months later for state if you submit application right away and next year for reduction in your Federal taxes if you have enough tax liability for the federal tax reduction.

kowki said:
@scott, @campfamily,

PM sent.

Thanks all for your responses guys. I know about the $7500 + $2500 for CA, as the FFE will replace my LEAF where I also qualified for both the credits (In the case for the LEAF, $7500 was cap cost reduction for my lease deal)

It looks like the consensus is that with leather and standard paint colors, the non-taxed out the door price should be around $24k if you can get finance rebates, trade in bonuses etc etc. Applying $7500 + $2500 tax credit/rebates for CA should get you to about $24k + tax - $10k =~ $16100 for CA.

Will let you know what I finally manage to get in a couple of weeks!

Missed an awesome lease deal from Sunnyvale Ford while I was out of town!
http://www.sunnyvaleford.com/new-ford-promotions-in-san-jose.html

kowki said:

Yep they have awesome lease deals for Labor Day weekend like they did last year. One of the best times to make a deal.
You may get another chance near the end of this month for anything sitting on the lot since they are willing to deal more at the end of this quarter, end of Sept - thats when I got a great deal at that time last year.

NightHawk said:
kowki said:

Thx

The $15,389 includes Fed and State tax rebates, but those aren't included "out the door" you would pay about $10K more than that at the dealer and get any tax rebates you qualify for at a later date, a few months later for state if you submit application right away and next year for reduction in your Federal taxes if you have enough tax liability for the federal tax reduction.

There was NO state rebate on my car. Just the Federal one.

kowki said:
Thanks all for your responses guys. I know about the $7500 + $2500 for CA, as the FFE will replace my LEAF where I also qualified for both the credits (In the case for the LEAF, $7500 was cap cost reduction for my lease deal)

It looks like the consensus is that with leather and standard paint colors, the non-taxed out the door price should be around $24k if you can get finance rebates, trade in bonuses etc etc. Applying $7500 + $2500 tax credit/rebates for CA should get you to about $24k + tax - $10k =~ $16100 for CA.

Will let you know what I finally manage to get in a couple of weeks!

Feel free to PM me. Beating up car dealers (on price) is sport for me.

Back