Wife got ICE'd!!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campfamily

This week my wife took the FFE to Ontario Mills shopping center, which is about 30 miles from our house. When she got there, all of the charging stations (4 total that she found) were occupied. 3 of them had hybrids parked in the space, and one had a conventional ICE car. None of the 4 cars were plugged in. She went and parked elsewhere, and while walking in, ran across the roving security guard. She asked him about the EV spots, and he said that this happened quite a bit, but other than putting a note on the car, they were powerless to do anything about it, since no vehicle code was being violated. He also said that his management had told them several people that had received the notes (people parked "incorrectly" in the EV parking space) had contacted the mall and complained, stating that they would no longer go to the mall if that was how they were going to be treated, so he and the other security guards had been encouraged to ignore it. My wife correctly asked what about the ticked off EV driver who couldn't park in the spot and charge the car, what about their complaints? The guard said that, to his knowledge, no EV driver had complained about people being parked in the charging spots, and encouraged her to complain. So, how about it folks? How many of you have complained to merchants / mall operators when you have been ICE'd? We need to be louder than the person who does the ICE'ing!!!

And, yes, my wife sent Ontario Mills an email; no response from management, but not really expecting one.....

Keith

That's a real shame. If I see an ICE driver parking in an EV charging spot I will tell them. I have not yet run into anyone who was upset about having to move their car. Most people are so stupid that they don't even notice the signs. It makes me wonder how they got a driver's license if they can't read a sign when parking...

hybridbear said:
That's a real shame. If I see an ICE driver parking in an EV charging spot I will tell them. I have not yet run into anyone who was upset about having to move their car. Most people are so stupid that they don't even notice the signs. It makes me wonder how they got a driver's license if they can't read a sign when parking...
One person told me they thought the charging station was a pay phone. Not sure if I believed them.

I've come to realize that most people are pretty unobservant, self-absorbed, self-entitled, or all of the above.

Actually I understand it is illegal...

Off-Street Parking: Electric Vehicles

22511. (a)A local authority, by ordinance or resolution, and a person in lawful possession of an offstreet parking facility may designate stalls or spaces in an offstreet parking facility owned or operated by that local authority or person for the exclusive purpose of charging and parking a vehicle that is connected for electric charging purposes.

(b) If posted in accordance with subdivision (d) or (e), the owner or person in lawful possession of a privately owned or operated offstreet parking facility, after notifying the police or sheriff's department, may cause the removal of a vehicle from a stall or space designated pursuant to subdivision (a) in the facility to the nearest public garage if the vehicle is not connected for electric charging purposes.

(c) If posted in accordance with subdivision (d), the local authority owning or operating an offstreet parking facility, after notifying the police or sheriff's department, may cause the removal of a vehicle from a stall or space designated pursuant to subdivision (a) in the facility to the nearest garage, as defined in Section 340, that is owned, leased, or approved for use by a public agency if the vehicle is not connected for electric charging purposes.

(d) The posting required for an offstreet parking facility owned or operated either privately or by a local authority shall consist of a sign not less than 17 by 22 inches in size with lettering not less than one inch in height that clearly and conspicuously states the following: "Unauthorized vehicles not connected for electric charging purposes will be towed away at owner's expense. Towed vehicles may be reclaimed at

___________________________________________________ or by telephoning

(Address)

____________________________________________________________________."
(Telephone number of local law enforcement agency)

The sign shall be posted in either of the following locations:

(1) Immediately adjacent to, and visible from, the stall or space.

(2) In a conspicuous place at each entrance to the offstreet parking facility.

(e) If the parking facility is privately owned and public parking is prohibited by the posting of a sign meeting the requirements of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) of Section 22658, the requirements of subdivision (b) may be met by the posting of a sign immediately adjacent to, and visible from, each stall or space indicating that a vehicle not meeting the requirements of subdivision (a) will be removed at the owner's expense and containing the telephone number of the local traffic law enforcement agency.

(f) This section does not interfere with existing law governing the ability of local authorities to adopt ordinances related to parking programs within their jurisdiction, such as programs that provide free parking in metered areas or municipal garages for electric vehicles.

Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 274, Stats. 2011. Effective January 1, 2012.

michael said:
Actually I understand it is illegal...
...yes, but only if the proper signage is posted per the description in your post (like the green sign below)
BH.jpg

Right, exactly. So the mall either did post the signs and is blowing people off by saying it's not illegal, or they are insincere and put in the equipment but don't really care. But to say "it's not illegal" implies there is nothing they can do about it, and that's not really the case.

If it's a chargepoint they may have rules of engagement that the merchant/vendor may have violated

Or, it could simply be the mall cop doesn't have a clue.....after all, he's a mall cop!!!

Thanks for the clarification. Next time we visit, if it happens again, we'll be more vocal.

The Grapevine Mills Mall here in DFW area, has signs where parking permitted only when charging, also has towing enforced sign for non charging vehicle.

Back