Minimum speed for cruise control.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffand

What is the minimum speed for cruise control?
I have been able to engage the cruise control at speeds as low as 25 MPH. But I did notice that the speed regulation was quite sloppy at this low of a speed. I have not tried to engage the cruise control at a lower speed yet, but I do think this is near the lowest speed the cruise can be engaged. I would not do this unless you are on an empty street. This could be very useful if you need to stretch the range out of battery.
Example: It’s 2 in the morning the streets are empty, the charging station is 50 miles away, and the range estimation is showing you are short by 10 miles. Rather than driving at 50 MPH until the battery is depleted, and then call the tow truck. Simply set the cruise for 25 MPH, and now you should be able to complete the trip.

jeffand said:
What is the minimum speed for cruise control?
I have been able to engage the cruise control at speeds as low as 25 MPH. But I did notice that the speed regulation was quite sloppy at this low of a speed. I have not tried to engage the cruise control at a lower speed yet, but I do think this is near the lowest speed the cruise can be engaged.
From my experience, it seems 25 mph is indeed the lowest speed at which you can set the cruise control. Any slower, and the SET button simply ignores you.

I actually regularly use cruise at slower speeds, not just the "midnight crawl" scenario you outlined. For example, I cruise when simply going between stop signs or lights on suburban streets. Though you say the control is "sloppy", I think the computer-regulated cruise always does a better job than my human foot at maintaining a constant speed -- and therefore a constant rate of energy consumption. And more consistency should lead to more efficiency, so I try to use the cruise control liberally.

Coming from an ICE car, using the cruise anywhere other than the freeway might seem like overkill, but I find using the cruise in my FFE easy and natural everywhere I need to maintain a set speed for almost any duration. Probably this is due, in large part, to the easy-to-use controls in the FFE. I especially like the "paddle" in the FFE for canceling and resuming cruise. I have to hand it to Ford, most all of the driving controls in the Focus are very ergonomic.

Back