Loud Buzzing Noise When Battery Is Charging

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThrillerAuthor

A couple of times in the past week when my Focus Electric has been plugged in and charging it starts buzzing loudly partway through the charge cycle. Anyone know what's causing the noise? The weather has been hot recently. Would that have anything to do with it?

Thanks.

ThrillerAuthor said:
A couple of times in the past week when my Focus Electric has been plugged in and charging it starts buzzing loudly partway through the charge cycle. Anyone know what's causing the noise? The weather has been hot recently. Would that have anything to do with it?
Not sure what you mean exactly by "buzzing", but it is probably just the normal sounds of the TMS (Temperature Management System) kicking in every now and then while charging. This keeps the battery temperature within normal range (since it can heat up during charging).

In cooler weather, the TMS is less likely to kick in. Or, when it does kick in, it may not run as "vigorously".

When brand new my fan made contact with the shroud in one place (it has since worn down) and thus when the fan came on it would "buzz" as the high point repeatedly hit the shroud.

Hence it could just be your fan (as part of the TMS operating).

There are times when the FFE seems to have a mind of its own eh? Just randomly starts doing something that you haven't heard before. (Compressors, pumps, vacuum pumps, etc. all going on at various times.) Rest assured, if it charges fully and operates normally without any error indications on the dash it is probably ok.

jmueller065 said:
When brand new my fan made contact with the shroud in one place (it has since worn down) and thus when the fan came on it would "buzz" as the high point repeatedly hit the shroud.

Sound like the fan is designed to be "self clearancing." :lol:

Back