Monthly electricity use

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NightHawk said:
Yep thats the case for me, so I'm sticking with the one-rate regular plan for now.
Although this doesn't effect SDG&E, I just received a letter from SCE informing me that in February, TOU rates are changing. There will be two options and both options will provide a longer off-peak period when electricity is the lowest and a shorter on-peak period. In a few weeks, SCE will be sending me a personalized costs analysis that provides the suggested best option for my charging and electrical use.

It will be interesting to see what changes are in store in February.

I got that letter too. From what little I know, I'm expecting the peak time to change to 2PM-8PM and for there to be a $10/month service fee. Really screws up my solar generation scheme! However, I have to admit it is probably fair as plans go--it's the rates that are the problem here.

I use the trip info for kWh used between my charging sessions. However, how do you use it the whole month when the kWh used on the trip odometer seems to count backwards when charging?

ELROY said:
I use the trip info for kWh used between my charging sessions. However, how do you use it the whole month when the kWh used on the trip odometer seems to count backwards when charging?
It only counts backwards if you leave the car turned on while charging (which is not normally the case).

Our local utility is going to offer special EV rates. Here's an article from the local paper.

It says that off-peak rates (9-9 & all day weekends & holidays) would be $0.06 per kWh. There is no reference to what the peak rate would cost. One comment also references that the monthly cost would also include a charge of $4.95 for a separate meter. I'm really interested to see where we go from here. I hope we can further reduce our costs.

One thing also noted is that when we charge at night we are using only wind & nuclear power. The carbon-intensive coal burning power plants only operate during the high demand daytime periods. Our utility sources upwards of 40% of electricity from coal the last time I checked. This shows just how important it is to use Value Charging to charge at night even when there's no discount.

hybridbear said:
February electricity use:
Focus Electric

This was our worst month ever in terms of Wh/mi for the cars.

:shock: that's pretty good! I have yet to get under 400Wh/mi. over a month. I've only gotten below 300 on one or two charges where I was trying to be as conservative as possible. I would think your's would be as bad as mine since I thought Minneapolis was colder than Toledo. However I am never stingy with the heat so that's probably why mine is so much higher. I also occasionally let mine sit outside unplugged in sub zero temps which I'm sure doesn't help my power consumption.

I live in Central Florida, I called Duke Energy and asked if they did a study.?

They did, it was for the Chevy Volt and the Nissan Leaf.

The deduced, $36 per month from depleted battery to full charge. I know the FFE
has a bigger battery, so it might be a bit more.

In québec we have a rate for electricity cheeper it call tariff dt it's ± half price wen the temperature is above -12°C but its 3 time the price wen it's below -12°C.

I have that rate I think it's good for me. :roll:

WOW how do you get your Wh/mi so low? My average often flirts with 300! Most all roads I drive on are 45+MPH so I would imagine you must do a fair amount less than 45mph?

triangles said:
WOW how do you get your Wh/mi so low? My average often flirts with 300! Most all roads I drive on are 45+MPH so I would imagine you must do a fair amount less than 45mph?
If you take our miles divided by the hours you see that our average speed is 17-19 MPH. This is because we do almost all city driving. We do stretches on the freeway around town but the speed limit within the Twin Cities metro area is usually 55 MPH on the freeway so we are never going that fast.

What's your average speed?

With a mixture of local roads (25-45mph) and freeway (avg 65mph) I average about 270Wh/m overall monthly.
I do notice if I do local trips without freeway driving especially downhill from my house I can get as low as 200Wh/m or so, but driving back home its uphill so it averages higher.

NightHawk said:
With a mixture of local roads (25-45mph) and freeway (avg 65mph) I average about 270Wh/m overall monthly.
Wow... I would say my driving is similar, but my average is right around 240 Wh/mi. Do you use a lot of heat or heavy A/C?

Also, I do run my tires at 45 psi (instead of the recommended 38 psi) which I believe gives a slight boost in efficiency.

(Btw, it is worth checking your tire pressure... the last time you took your car to the dealer, they might have "helpfully" corrected your pressure to the 32 psi standard for the ICE Focus. Driving around with low tire pressure could definitely impact range.)

Very little A/C and I have only used the heater once or twice in 6 months.
I have a lot of elevation change in my area, so my average of 270Wh/m (mostly freeway @65mph) is made up of ~260Wh/m on a trip mostly downhill and ~280Wh/m coming back mostly uphill.

WattsUp said:
Also, I do run my tires at 45 psi (instead of the recommended 38 psi) which I believe gives a slight boost in efficiency.

(Btw, it is worth checking your tire pressure... the last time you took your car to the dealer, they might have "helpfully" corrected your pressure to the 32 psi standard for the ICE Focus. Driving around with low tire pressure could definitely impact range.)
Our tires are right around 44-45 PSI cold. The first time I took the car to Discount Tire for a tire rotation I reminded them that our car is not a standard Focus with its 32 PSI tire recommendation. Their computer did not show the Focus Electric so if I hadn't told them they would have let air out of the tires all the way down to 32 PSI. They still let air out of them down to 38 PSI though since that's what the door sticker showed. Then I had to add air back.

Back