Stop Safely Now Warning

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2014 is in the dealer pending high voltage harness replacement and I was just left a message stating the part is back ordered with no estimated shipment date. He felt it would be 2-3 weeks before they would get it in. At least they got me a loaner but I have no car pool sticker or comfort (Nissian Versa :x ). Maybe I need to forward sefs message on to them so I don't have to wait so long. Bummer

Took couple of weeks to replace the harness on my 2014 FFE followed by about 2 weeks to diagnose yellow wrench light and replace the high voltage battery. I did not use a loaner as we had another vehicle to use but dealer reimbursed me one lease payment as compensation. No further trouble since this experience (2 months). Mileage now is 8700.

Update:
I noticed an update was downloaded in my Nav screen just after passing the 40,000 mile point in my 2012 FFE.
I subsequently had 17 SSN alarms with a motor shut down, in a few weeks period.
After talking to the dealer about the lack of warranty, I filed a complaint with the Fed. Dept of Transportation. (read previous entries)
I contacted the Ford FFE Customer service Rep at the number listed in the warranty guide and he took down my info.
Mysteriously the SSN events stopped happening.
I have had no SSN's for the last 48 days.
I can only guess that Ford downloaded some new software via the modem or I was getting hacked.
It would seem a simple timer in the software before allowing the SSN to occur, would cure the problem. Who knows!
I have pulled my Modem's fuse.

Trielectric said:
I can only guess that Ford downloaded some new software via the modem or I was getting hacked.
It would seem a simple timer in the software before allowing the SSN to occur, would cure the problem. Who knows!
I have pulled my Modem's fuse.
Unlikely. The MFT software has nothing to do with the drivetrain operation (whose software is housed in separate modules whose firmware can only be flashed at the dealer; not delivered via the modem).

The computer running MFT is merely a glorified radio, and it (and the MFT software) is unnecessary for the car's operation. As proof, you can completely disable the infotainment system (pull the fuse) as the car is still fully drivable.

redcelt007 said:
A new TSB just came out today on the Motorcraft Service website. The TSB is 15-0031 and involves getting DTC P0A0A:01. This refers to a connection issue with the high voltage interlock near the battery pack. If your dealer has not addressed this issue, I would take it to them asap and have them check it. I had this problem occur on my 2014 FFE before the TSB came out.

This forum is invaluable. After 11,770 my 2014 FFE gave me the dreaded "Stop Safely Now" warning. Ford assist sent out a flatbed which took almost 3 hours to get to me in horrible Atlanta traffic.

I had plenty of time to read this thread on my phone. I had the car taken to the dealership which sold most of the FFE's here. With the benefit of your collective wisdom I told them about the TSE. Luckily, my build date was in the range where cleaning and greasing will do the trick; apparently wiring harnesses are back ordered until December!

My electrical engineer husband also appreciated the detailed description of what was going on and the lovely picture of what I call the 'Junction Box' (too big to quote here). He was itching to get in there until the Service Manager fixed him with a steely eye and started talking Warranty Violation.

Thank you everyone!

Jenny

My "stop safely now" occurred on May 13, 2015. As of July 10, 2015 I am still waiting to get the car back from the dealership. Based on what I have been told so far, there was a recent technical bulletin (TSB 15-0031) for replacing a high voltage power cable which is on serious back order and is why the car is still at the dealership. The following is a helpful website for explaining the part and repair process. http://vitalysmobileautodiagnostics.com/12505/stop-safely-now-message-diagnostic-trouble-code-dtc-p0a0a01-2012-2014-ford-focus

I just filed a complaint on https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ . This is a link to the Office of Defects Investigation and is a part of the U.S. DOT's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I highly recommend that others also post at this website.

My experience with the dealership has been ok. They can't do anything until the part is in their hands.

Emailing Ford has yielded mostly disappointment for me. The "Regional Customer Service Manager" explicitly told me that "we rely on our suppliers so I will not be able to answer your question as to what the cause is resulting in this back order." This seems like an instance where Ford is blaming someone else for a product that Ford is ultimately providing. I get that they don't make the part, but at the same time, Ford needs to understand that they have their own customers. When I pressed the service manager on the topic of this part and on improving its quality, she wrote back "Parts change on a daily basis".

Feeling disappointment in going with a Ford EV.

NightHawk said:
BrianG said:
My "stop safely now" occurred on May 13, 2015.
What model year is your FFE and how old is it and how many miles before the SSN?
Very similar to my 2014 FFE I leased in early Oct 2014 and almost 3000 miles total now.
Fortunately I haven't had any issues with mine (yet?)

Wow. I stop reading for a moment, and this has grown to 60 pages.

Girlfriend experienced our first SSN warning in traffic coming home today.
She said she "power cycled" three or four times before it was Ready to Drive again.

I haven't read the previous five dozen pages yet, but here's a couple details
• 2014 model, ~14k miles
• 80°F, light city traffic
• MyFordMobile immediately alerted me there was a warning light.
• The app and site show "Battery System Health" with a red "-" but "Battery Performance" has a green checkmark.
• Vehicle Health Report indicates no issues whatsoever.
• Gauge test mode shows a build date of "120101" and DTC history "C46B86"

After going through an intersection the other day the stop safely now warning came on in my 2014 FFE. I had no acceleration and had to coast to a stop. After resetting the ignition it finally resumed driving with no warning lights whatsoever. My car has 8000 miles on it now. Does the software programming effect the way the car drives? Sure would be nice if the slow acceleration from a stand still was cured. My LEAF throttle response is instantaneous.

I was reading the details on the procedure done by a Ford Service tech for the TSB 15-0031 that came out back on 3/10/2015 for this issue:
Some 2012-2014 Focus Electric vehicles may exhibit a Stop Safely Now message accompanied by diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0A0A:01 present in the powertrain control module (PCM). A full key cycle will restore normal vehicle operation.

Link to article:
http://oemdtc.com/12505/stop-safely-now-message-diagnostic-trouble-code-dtc-p0a0a01-2012-2014-ford-focus

Interestingly it lists to check the vehicle build date. Was the vehicle built on or before 5/18/2014?
They have to replace the HV wiring harness (battery cables) only if built on or before 5/18/2014, and not after that build date!
My 2014 FFE has a build date of 5/27/2014 so I am later than the cutoff date.
Does that mean Ford switched to an improved more reliable HV wiring harness on the FFE production line after 5/18/2014?

Whether or not the HV wiring harness is replaced, the tech is instructed to use electrical grease on some terminals that the wiring harness plugs into, so that might stop intermittent signal connection issues that result in an SSN?

Have the recent reports of SSNs here and requiring replacement of the HV wiring harness (that has been on backorder in recent months) been only for FFEs with a build date of 5/18/2014 and earlier, not after?

You can look up the build date (and lots of other info) for your FFE by entering your VIN at this Ford webpage:
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

The only other thing the tech is listed to do at the end is to reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 93.02 and higher. Someone here in this thread a few months back reported that apparently gave their 2014 FFE improved battery efficiency like the 2015 model reportedly has.
Independent of any SSN issues, can we pre-2015 FFE owners get that PCM reprogramming (software update) done in any case for the performance improvement?

Received my FFE back from "SSN" service recently, and figured I'd post the results.
FYI: Build date is Feb 2013

Dropped off for service Saturday, August 8. Their "EV guy" wasn't in to start diagnostics until Aug 11.
This is the same dealership where the service department has argued that a loud fan noise was coming "from the CVT" and a service manager really wanted to charge me for an oil change, even when he knew it was an FFE. I didn't have high hopes.

I told them I had heard HV cables were backordered, and they didn't think that was the case.
Indeed they had no problems getting the required parts. Diagnosis to repair complete in eight days.
Here's the items from the invoice, in case it helps anyone.

Line items:
[*]10A DRIVABILITY CONCERN
[*][*]314 W (N/C)
[*]1 CV5Z*00812*A BOLT (N/C)
[*]1 XC*12* GREASE - SPECIAL - ELECTR. CON (N/C)
[*]1 CM5Z*14A318*D WIRE ASY - ACCESSORY FEED (N/C)

14169 3.80 ROAD TESTED VEHICLE SEVERAL MILES UNABLE TO DUPLICATE CUSTOMERS CONCERN AT THIS TIME.
[*]RAN EEC FOUND DTC FOUND DTC P0A0A HIGH VOLTAGE INTER-LOCK CKT
[*]RAN OASIS PER TSB 15-0031 VERIFIED DTCS P0A0A IS PRESENT, CHECKED VEHICLE BUILD DATE PER TSB REMOVED AND INSTALLED NEW HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY CABLES, UPDATED PCM TO LATEST CALIBRATION AND PERFORMED COOLING SYSTEM BLEED PROCEDURE DUE TO COOLING SYSTEM BEEN OPENED DUE TO REPAIRS
[*]CLEARED DTCS AND ROAD TESTED VEHICLE, VEHICLE PERFORMED AS INTENDED, RE-PERFORMED SELF-TEST NO DTCS FOUND, ALL OK AT THIS TIME

Erik said:
Received my FFE back from "SSN" service recently, and figured I'd post the results.
FYI: Build date is Feb 2013
Dropped off for service Saturday, August 8. Their "EV guy" wasn't in to start diagnostics until Aug 11.

So how long total did it take them to get the parts and do all the work?
It does appear they followed the instructions on TSB 15-0031 for your build date, requiring the new wire harness.

Was really enjoying my FFE until SSN warning light came on at ~18K miles, 17 months ownership
Car would power off after coming to a complete stop
Car will power up again and be driveable after opening and closing driver door, waiting several minutes, and power cycle.
Recurred almost each time driving car thereafter, was stuck on street a couple of times for a few minutes
Took car to Walnut Creek (CA) Ford as soon as possible
There, Replaced High Voltage Harness per TSB 15-0031
Fault code persisted, Mechanic contacted Ford several times and then notes
"remove lower panels to access HV harness & inspected all interlock pins at harness & component side - reseat all connectors firmly - reassemble - retest BECM, PCM & all other modules - now pass"
Entire Process took 7 days. Dealership paid for rental car. Bought extended warranty at time of purchase.
Hopefully this is helpful to other FFE owners who experience same problem.
Will post again if problem recurs. Hopefully not!

2014 FFE, build date Jan 1014, ~18K miles

Hi - new to the forum but I've been experiencing this same issue. I have a service appointment scheduled for next week so I'll be curious to see how it goes.

Perhaps this is old news but saw this previous recall: http://insideevs.com/focus-electrics-recalled-as-ford-finally-reacts-to-the-stop-safely-now-power-loss-problem/

I had my first SSN yesterday, although I'm pretty sure I coaxed the car into giving me it.

I was updating MFT and messing around with FORScan on the computer while in accessory mode. Pretty sure SSN happened while in accessory mode which I found odd. I can't remember if I had unplugged or not at that time.

Anyways I was doing "control" things with FORScan to see what worked. BdyCM stuff worked. Individual headlights on, washer fluid without wipers spraying, wipers without touching the stick, etc. So went to do some control in the PCM and it worked (with bugs). Was able to adjust heater output no matter what the temperature was set at. Could watch the heater ramp up and down on the cluster.

Anyways, was wrapping things up and got the SSN message followed by a wrench. MFT was completed updating so I power cycled and unplugged. Same SSN message. So then I went to check the 12v battery voltage thinking I may have killed it in accessory mode running the heater up like that. Since its 3 12v heaters with up to 120a via 12v, that could drain a battery fast even if the DC to DC converter is outputting its max 150a. Anyways 12v battery voltage was 12.55v with everything off. Didn't check if it dropped when I turned the car on because when I turned it on no SSN message, the car just worked.

So odd... but hey... it works. Drove to work today no problems. Charging on L2 now, no problems. 2014 with 11k miles. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow for something unrelated. I'm going to add this into the mix to see if they can see what caused it. Haven't had the chance to read codes yet. Hopefully the recalls are done on it.

breeves002 said:
I had my first SSN yesterday, although I'm pretty sure I coaxed the car into giving me it.

I was updating MFT and messing around with FORScan on the computer while in accessory mode. Pretty sure SSN happened while in accessory mode which I found odd. I can't remember if I had unplugged or not at that time.

Anyways I was doing "control" things with FORScan to see what worked. BdyCM stuff worked. Individual headlights on, washer fluid without wipers spraying, wipers without touching the stick, etc. So went to do some control in the PCM and it worked (with bugs). Was able to adjust heater output no matter what the temperature was set at. Could watch the heater ramp up and down on the cluster.

Anyways, was wrapping things up and got the SSN message followed by a wrench. MFT was completed updating so I power cycled and unplugged. Same SSN message. So then I went to check the 12v battery voltage thinking I may have killed it in accessory mode running the heater up like that. Since its 3 12v heaters with up to 120a via 12v, that could drain a battery fast even if the DC to DC converter is outputting its max 150a. Anyways 12v battery voltage was 12.55v with everything off. Didn't check if it dropped when I turned the car on because when I turned it on no SSN message, the car just worked.

So odd... but hey... it works. Drove to work today no problems. Charging on L2 now, no problems. 2014 with 11k miles. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow for something unrelated. I'm going to add this into the mix to see if they can see what caused it. Haven't had the chance to read codes yet. Hopefully the recalls are done on it.

What ever came of this? Did the dealer solve this problem? I ask because I just had this happen to me today, a SSN after I was parked and then put car in accessory mode. I turned off then back on again and it didn't show up second time, but MFM shows battery health as red?

Back