Chunks missing from front tires

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VoltageKC

Let me start by saying that I have been driving Hybrids / EV's since 2004 and I am one who drives to maximized mileage. I have a 2014 FFE that I bought used with 50 miles on it two months ago. It was returned to the manufacturer due to delivery damage to the "A" pillar. So technically the tires are a little over a year old.

I've noticed the much discussed issues with poor grip and while the tires have slipped a few times it was not significant. I did push the vehicle to avoid an obstacle (the handling under full power while turning just about got me in a ditch) but I don't recall any tire slippage.

I checked my tires this morning mostly because I had turned the wheels when I parked last and I saw a number of missing chunks on both front tires. This is pretty alarming to me, and I'm curious if anyone else has experience this. I immediately went over to my Chevy Volt with 20K miles beside it and the tires were pristine (Goodyear Comfortred A/S). Air pressure is good and I don't see any cupping or other wear damage.

I'm going to take it in to the dealer but it looks like new tires are in order...

Attempting to link to photos here https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B03GY8gBYGXkH5O

Hi

I can't open the photos, but I can tell you my car has nearly 30,000 miles and while the tires are approaching the wear bars, there is no abnormal wear pattern, chunking, cupping, etc. The tires are at least two years old.

The tires on the Volt are infamous for flats with little provocation. While mine have been trouble free, one of my friends has had four unfixable flats already in his Volts, some from nails but some from unknown causes (potholes? Curbs?)

Have you had the alignment checked? Could it be way out?

It looks like you spun the tires on some metal grating or something similar. If you didn't run over anything this is very odd. Especially if it's on multiple tires.

After reviewing the tires again I'm guessing the damage was done in the 100 miles before I purchased the vehicle. I'll just keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't continue to degrade while looking for replacement tires before winter sets in.

Back