2014 FFE motor "Fell Off"; At dealer for over 30 days

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbitz777

My car was towed to the local dealer 31 days ago as one of the bolts holding the motor sheared off...broke the front drive CV as well.

Pretty scary experience as the shifter went from D to R by itself. Luckily I was in driveway. They immediately accused me of having run into a ditch but there was no visible damage to the underside.

Anyhow I call the dealer on day 31 to find status as the car is still in their parking lot. They told me they just ordered parts and then they'll be able to address fixing it and rolling it inside.

I do not have the extended warranty , my car was 10 months old and 11,000 miles on that day. I am paying Ford Credit over 500/mo and had to resort to a 14mpg large SUV as a backup.

I escalated the case to Ford and they took all the info and promised a regional manager will call me within a day. So I want to hear what I could expect from them;

-A new car? I would not mind buying into a 2015.
-At least a refund of my monthly payment(s) while the car is out of service.

Pennsylvania

Seems to me that if a car less than 12mo old and 12,000 miles and more than 30 days out of service like mine that would fall under Lemon Law...at least that is what my lawyer told me.

I was thinking about just getting a new 2015 FFE and just stopping the payments to Ford on the 2014....since I paid about 6000$ so far
and got the Fed Credit of $7500 I would still be ahead.

Very frustrated!

I read your lemon law and it isn't the most strongly worded statute--lots of "weasel room" and no substantial penalties for failure to comply. In Wisconsin, for example, if the manufacturer fails to respond timely to your lemon law demand for a refund, you can sue and get triple damages. Seen it done!

Still, your PA statute does say 30 days. Unless there is precedent or tradition to the contrary, you should be able to get a refund of the full purchase price less 10 cents a mile, then buy a new 2015 and get another $7500 federal tax credit.

If I were you, I would have submitted the demand already. Don't just stop paying--that will have other consequences. Just demand a full refund less your 10 cent per mile usage allowance. I don't think you have to accept your car back at this point, fixed or not (but ask your attorney). Why be nice? You don't want a car with a questionable repair history--and having a major repair done by someone with very limited experience is questionable in my book--and you'll come out at least $5K ahead.

Back