Built in navigation sucks?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangles

am I missing something or does the built in nav really suck that bad. I've only tried to use navigation a handful of times since it's really not needed on a short range vehicle like the FFE. I have usually given up especially when trying to use voice command while driving. I usually end up using Waze or google maps when I need a navigational aid. Even my ancient Garmin from 2007 is more user friendly! I wouldn't expect the FFE's nav to be as good as a smartphone but I do expect it to be better than an old Garmin. I just can't fathom why people here are paying money to "update" the worthless built in navigation. What am I missing here?

Also I've read about people sending routes from Mapquest to the onboard nav. How do you do this?

triangles said:
am I missing something or does the built in nav really suck that bad. I've only tried to use navigation a handful of times since it's really not needed on a short range vehicle like the FFE. I have usually given up especially when trying to use voice command while driving. I usually end up using Waze or google maps when I need a navigational aid. Even my ancient Garmin from 2007 is more user friendly! I wouldn't expect the FFE's nav to be as good as a smartphone but I do expect it to be better than an old Garmin. I just can't fathom why people here are paying money to "update" the worthless built in navigation. What am I missing here?

Also I've read about people sending routes from Mapquest to the onboard nav. How do you do this?
Sync Destinations app allows you to send info to the nav in the car. We don't have issues with the voice commands. They work great for us. Have you learned how you need to speak for the system to understand you? You must use the exact phrases that it knows to listen for otherwise it won't do what you want.

Sending a destination from mapquest:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2013/10/06/where-ever-you-go-there-you-are/

Since our FFE was the 3rd vehicle we've had with My Ford Touch (now on our 4th) I was already pretty comfortable with how the nav works and thus aren't frustrated by it at all. (In fact, if you would have seen MFT way back in 2011 in the first Edge you'd be very happy with what you have in the FFE! LOL)

the nav is clunky but really essential if you are interested in using the onboard range predictors which I find to work well. I have never run out of charge yet - knock on wood. The nav system talks to your GOM and tells you how much over or under you have to get there. I use this a lot.- especially if you are to the limits of range on a multiple stop day. It allows you to enter all of your inbetween locations and if you will charge at those waypoints.

epaminondas said:
the nav is clunky but really essential if you are interested in using the onboard range predictors which I find to work well.
I will have to look into this. I briefly tried to figure out how to get it to show my "range" on the nav but couldn't figure it out.
Hybridbear I haven't but I tried and gave up in frustration trying to tell the car where I wanted to go. Instead I told Google the building name and it got me there :D

The onboard range predictions isn't exactly what you think its (yes if you zoom the map out far enough you'll see two circles showing the return range and absolute maximum range).

If you program in a destination and then answer "yes" to the "will you charge at the destination" question then the "Status" number you see on the dash will show you if you can get to the destination or not (if the value is negative the answer is no you can't get there). A positive value for status is the miles you'll have left after getting there. Basically what happens is that once the nav is engaged and it thinks you'll charge at the dest the "budget" becomes "distance to destination" which means "Status" becomes (GOM Range - distance to destination).

(I have a few posts on the blog about all of this...)

It's the identical nav that we use in my wife's Ford Escape, with which we have had plenty of experience. It's a klunky system, could probably have been designed to be lots more user friendly. We stuck with it, battled the early frustrations and now have zero problems.

Once you know the steps, it becomes very easy. Whether we type in the info or use the voice commands, it's now a cinch. I'd say stick with it. Once you get it down pat, it will be seamless and a pleasure to operate.

Back