pulled my front license plate - paid the price

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epaminondas

I think most of us agree that the front license plate situation on our cars is sub optimal. The front end was designed for a more narrow european license plate and the more square US plate just look awkward. The front end of our cars looks quite handsome with the plate off and I have seen some nice cars without front plates here in Washington state. It turns out you don't have to have a front plate in some instances - we don't really qualify for these unfortunately:

The law:

(i) Attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle if two license plates have been issued;

(ii) Attached to the rear of the vehicle if one license plate has been issued;

(iii) Kept clean and be able to be plainly seen and read at all times; and

(iv) Attached in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground.

(b) The Washington state patrol may grant exceptions to this subsection if the body construction of the vehicle makes compliance with this section impossible.

yeah so bottom line: I didn't pay to park in downtown Seattle on the street - spaced on the time. They not only gave me aticket for the parking but $47
for not displaying my plate!! Well I still haven't put a front plate on because I think the car looks much better but..... beware and pay your parking fees on the street! omg - I probably will pop it back on if I get another ticket

Here in California we are also required to have a front license plate. I've never had one on my BMW, and haven't been ticketed yet. However, I leave my car at the Metro train station on some days when I don't need a car at work, and I saw one day that a bunch of cars had tickets on them. Most of them with tickets had a missing front plate. Some LA police officer had nothing better to do than to troll the park-n-ride and write bull$^#! tickets. Fortunately I didn't get one, since the DMV hasn't issued my plates for the Focus yet.

Keith

I see an amazing number of people who simply never put the plates on their cars. I pass three or four cars every day in my neighborhood who have been without plates for well over a year.

By contrast, some friends had a brand-new (like a week old) car with paper dealer plates. They were pulled over by the CHP for having the paper plates...they guy inspected the paper temporary registration to confirm that in fact the car was brand-new,

Go figure...

michael said:
I see an amazing number of people who simply never put the plates on their cars. I pass three or four cars every day in my neighborhood who have been without plates for well over a year.
Rumor has it that Steve Jobs perpetually drove his Mercedes around without any plates, ever.

How? Well, whenever he was about to be legally required to display the plates that were issued for his old Mercedes, he would simply just buy another new Mercedes.

That's one way to never drive with plates legally, I guess. :)

In Nevada, if the vehicle ever had a front plate, you need to have one.
So, if your dealer never put the front holder on, you don't need one.
If it was put on, then, you need a plate. I took my holder off the
morning after I got mine home. That was November, no problems
yet, three little holes in the bumper are the only sign. Haven't gotten
around to getting them filled. I am told that even if front plate is not
mounted, it must be in vehicle to show if asked. Never did that either,
and, after almost half a century of driving in Vegas, haven't had a problem.
As a matter of fact, the last new registration I got, only came with ONE plate.

Back