Please increase the battery size

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffand

Nissan says the battery will increase to 30 kwh on all but the base model 2016 Leaf. This should push range to over 100 miles per charge. The second generation 2017 Leaf when it comes out should have a range over 160 miles. Ford please put the new batteries in the FFE. Over a 100 miles of driving range would be very sweet.
http://insideevs.com/2016-nissan-leaf-get-25-larger-battery/

Even that doesn't seem like enough. I'm desperately hoping for the rumored 200 mile Ford. Or Chevy. Or even (gasp) Leaf. I hope that a "200 mile" car will be good for 150 dependable miles. I'll settle for that.

If I can't get a "200 mile" EV when my FFE lease ends, I'll probably go with another Volt.

I'd be good with a 100 mile FFE in a year (when my lease ends). Seems like it would be a no brainer for Ford to include a moderately larger battery (in the leaf case its 15% larger).

While they are at it if they threw in CCS I'd be happy (even if they left the heat the same).

LG chemical has a newer higher capacity battery cells available. By just replacing the older battery cells with the newer type will increase battery capacity with out using more space.

fingers crossed we'll be able to replace the charge port and battery in the future otherwise the car's gonna be worthless in about 5 years

damania said:
fingers crossed we'll be able to replace the charge port and battery in the future otherwise the car's gonna be worthless in about 5 years

I hope not! My current range of 70 miles or so is perfect for Hawaii! There are only a couple of trips I can't make with this car. even with 70% capacity, this is a fantastic car for Hawaii. Maybe the used ones gets shipped here for our market :)

jmueller065 said:
I'd be good with a 100 mile FFE in a year (when my lease ends). Seems like it would be a no brainer for Ford to include a moderately larger battery (in the leaf case its 15% larger).

While they are at it if they threw in CCS I'd be happy (even if they left the heat the same).

I feel the opposite. I use the heater half the year, and the resistive heater is completely out of place on a car which tries and needs to be energy efficient. To me, a heat pump is a must-have

I'm far less concerned about fast charge capability. Availability of charging is a critical issue (both from the standpoint of does it exist? and is it already occupied?) I don't envision installation of enough DCFC stations in the next few years to make a difference. It is far more useful to me to avoid the need for charging than to be able to DCFC in those very few cases where it is available. I'd much rather a site install four Level 2 stations than one Level 3.

Bigger battery + heat pump = happy camper who will get another electric Ford.

Back