OBDII data for Electric Motor

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridbear

With FORScan I've been able to start getting data about the electric motor.
The Motor Electronics Coolant Pump is running anytime the car is on. Its speed will vary depending on how much cooling is needed. I've usually seen pump speeds from 50-75% of maximum. The warmest I've seen so far is about 120 F for the coolant temp.

There are also 3 sensors for traction motor temperature. Two of them are significantly warmer than the third. The warmest I've seen so far is around 140 F for the traction motor temp.

There are also 2 sensors for power electronics temperature. They often read the same but sometimes are 2-3 degrees different. The power electronics seem to usually run about 10% cooler than the traction motor. The warmest I've seen so far is around 125 F (about 10% less than 140).

The third electric motor sensor and the two power electronics temp sensors almost always read the same as the MECT coolant or just slightly above it. The MECT coolant pump speed (shown as a percent) is usually 68-74. When driving for a long time where the temps for the first two motor sensors reached 160+ F and the coolant reached about 140 F the pump speed was up to 87. When first starting out when everything is cool the pump speed will be around 50. I haven't seen it lower than 50 yet.

I've been able to collect some more data regarding the electric motor. The TCM PIDs for kW & Torque have been very interesting. When first beginning to accelerate, even with very gentle pedal pressure, the torque spike is huge. Even with gentle pedal pressure the Torque PID will show 80+ ft-lbs of torque. The kW PID might only show 5-10 kW. As vehicle speed increases the torque demand decreases. Acceleration at highway speeds causes only a small spike in torque while the kW increases greatly. Sustained cruising at highway speeds usually seems to require less ft-lbs of torque than kW of power to maintain your speed.

Regen braking shows higher negative torque than the negative power in kW.

I have also observed that when you have light pedal pressure on the brake pedal the car does appear to have the electric motor fight against the brake pads. When the brake pedal is firmly depressed the Torque PID shows < 5 ft-lbs. When you lightly depress the pedal this number rises to 20-40 ft-lbs. Looking at the BECM HVB amps you can also observe an increase in HVB amps when gradually lessening pedal pressure. It is probably a good idea to keep firm pedal pressure when stopped at red lights so that the traction motor isn't working against the brake pads.

hybrid bear said:
.... It is probably a good idea to keep firm pedal pressure when stopped at red lights so that the traction motor isn't working against the brake pads.

Or maybe switch to neutral while stopped?

awefulspeller said:
hybrid bear said:
.... It is probably a good idea to keep firm pedal pressure when stopped at red lights so that the traction motor isn't working against the brake pads.

Or maybe switch to neutral while stopped?
You can. But the car will roll if you take your foot off the brake pedal. At long traffic lights I often switch to N & pull up the parking brake handle so that I can relax my legs.

Tom French said:
cannot get my odb to work on my FFE, works fine on my wifes Fusion.
Any ideas. Running free version of forscan
What are you using to read the OBD?

I use the OBDLink MX (this is the red one) via wi-fi with my iPhone 6 and the paid version of FORScan.

I previously tried using the MX with my old iPhone 4 and, while it did "work", the connection was pretty flakey. With the newer iPhone, things work much better.

Using the Vgate Scan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-MAx4A-Ebs

Running the Torque and Forscan.

Putting it in the left driver side ODB connector

I have Forscan, but I don't really like the interface.

Can anyone tell me how to get items from different modules onto the same screen? For example things from the PCM, BECM and body control module on the same display screen so you can see things like speed, torque, battery voltage, current current draw, etc at the same time.

It is pretty useless having everything divided up so you can't watch the things that your interested in at the same time.

Does anyone have a save config file that they like?
Thanks

Tazer said:
I have Forscan, but I don't really like the interface.

Can anyone tell me how to get items from different modules onto the same screen? For example things from the PCM, BECM and body control module on the same display screen so you can see things like speed, torque, battery voltage, current current draw, etc at the same time.

It is pretty useless having everything divided up so you can't watch the things that your interested in at the same time.

Does anyone have a save config file that they like?
Thanks
You cannot display PIDs from multiple modules at the same time in FORScan. That's part of what keeps the refresh rate so fast.

hybridbear said:
You cannot display PIDs from multiple modules at the same time in FORScan. That's part of what keeps the refresh rate so fast.
Is there a technical reason behind this?

Does the OBD protocol make it "expensive" to read from multiple modules?

Personally, in some cases, I would gladly trade a slower refresh rate in order to put together a single dashboard displaying PIDs from multiple modules.

WattsUp said:
hybridbear said:
Is there a technical reason behind this?

Does the OBD protocol make it "expensive" to read from multiple modules?

Personally, in some cases, I would gladly trade a slower refresh rate in order to put together a single dashboard displaying PIDs from multiple modules.
I don't fully understand how the CANs in the car work, but in Torque Pro in our Fusion Energi, the refresh rate is slowed when you're reading multiple modules. If I'm only displaying/logging PIDs from one module I can get a refresh rate of less than 1/2 second. When reading PIDs from many modules the refresh rate is about 1.5 seconds. FORScan can refresh at a rate of about every 10 milliseconds. I don't know why FORScan's programmers only allow you to display one module. One benefit is that you get a superior refresh rate.

OK, found it, was shocked at the price, but it must really work well.

the one I purchased 5 years ago is not under $5.00

that means cheap cheap cheap....lol

Tom French said:
OK, found it, was shocked at the price, but it must really work well.

the one I purchased 5 years ago is not under $5.00

that means cheap cheap cheap....lol
Yeah... the el cheapo one I bought (something like $10) barely worked. 50% of the time it would disconnect, and sometimes it was much worse, with no real pattern of behavior. It was very frustrating. Also, FORScan showed that the refresh rate was very slow.

The more expensive MX thingy I eventually got works, probably, more like 95% of the time. Occasionally there is an issue initially connecting, but that might be more my iPhone's fault. Once connected, the overall behavior is way more consistent. And, FORScan shows a super-fast refresh rate (15ms or something).

WattsUp said:
The more expensive MX thingy I eventually got works, probably, more like 95% of the time. Occasionally there is an issue initially connecting, but that might be more my iPhone's fault. Once connected, the overall behavior is way more consistent. And, FORScan shows a super-fast refresh rate (15ms or something).
We have the OBDLink MX Bluetooth. It works great! We usually see a refresh rate of 6-10 ms. No-name OBD adapters can cause issues with the car & can cause DTCs to be stored. With our old Fusion Hybrid, the no-name OBD adapter would periodically cause the entire car to reboot while driving. I'd stay away from the generic ones.

Back