New EVSE from chargepoint

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bastards won't specify a price. It's going to be at least double the cost of a regular charger. I don't see a need for wifi or integration with the thermostat.

Well if it is integrated with the thermostat it could either:
  • Not charge if it is too hot out or
  • Turn on the A/C before charging to cool the car so its in the desired temperature range

It's integrated with the special house thermostat that you purchase and install and it'll talk to the ev charger.

damania said:
It's integrated with the special house thermostat that you purchase and install and it'll talk to the ev charger.
Why would you want your house thermostat & EVSE communicating? What's the benefit?

Looking deeper it tells the Nest thermostat how much power it has used.

The Nest thermostat gives you a monthly energy report so by including one of the biggest power consumers of all (the EV) it can include that in the report.

Guessing the Nest will learn when you plugin and unplug and use the information for learning when you are home to help in its ability to program itself.

hybridbear said:
damania said:
Why would you want your house thermostat & EVSE communicating? What's the benefit?

Exactly my point! It's completely useless, other than statistics and reporting on the electricity used.

NEST is used to save money on heating and cooling by scheduling when you'll actually be home and adjusting the temp for those times. And the times you are not home it will either not run heat/AC or run them minimally.

But for an EV, you actually have to plug the charger in to charge and the car already has TOD. I guess TOD might be easier with NEST. Shrug.

Back