Long time owners without major issues?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ether100

Just curious: How likely is it that I will reach 36k miles without any major issues (SSN, etc)?

Any long-time owners out there with success stories?

Long time owner success stories will be quite boring LOL.

I'm guessing there are quite a few. I've recently rolled over 20,000 miles and I know there are a few people on here with at least 10,000 more miles than I have. All trouble free. Why would you expect otherwise? Its the simplest drive train of any Ford vehicle. SSN issue not withstanding (and that was a software problem, not a hardware one).

I'm glad to hear that, as my concern was motivated by this less-than-reassuring post by sefs a few days ago (indicating hardware related SSNs):

--begin quote

Unfortunately, as the many pages of this post make apparent, there are many different things that can cause SSN. It is my opinion that many of these do not get fixed, or are unable to be diagnosed due to the way Ford trains its service staff. I've taken the FFE service training, and it's lacking to say the least. The diagnostic steps in the service manual also don't go far enough to find the root cause of issues. There are places that the service tech is not advised to enter, but can yield a lot of information on what is causing the issue. There are so many little high voltage interlock (HVIL) circuits all over the car that have tiny wiring susceptible to breakdown. If any of these start to open circuit, the whole car will shut down with a SSN. If the insulation measured by the BECM is marginal, it can cause an intermittent SSN. It's my opinion that these two failure modes are causing the majority of SSN episodes post-recall.....

--end quote

Hopefully these are not defects just waiting to show up in a matter of time....

Mine has been remarkably problem free and also maintenance free.

I had one SSN long ago, corrected by the software update.

There were MyFord issues, but they turned out not be be in the car, but rather server issues at headquarters.

The only maintenance has been tire rotation which was done for free at America's Tire Company. Oh, yes...I forgot...also had a nail in a tire which America's Tire fixed for free.

33,000 miles in 18 months.

For what it's worth, my previous ICE Focus was pretty good too, but not as issue-free as this one.

Aside from a 12V battery problem that was a programming issue and the dealer replaced the battery. Nothing to report either. I didn't even bother with tire rotation. Two and a half years is creeping up quickly.

Our Ford Focus Titanium has been equally trouble free.

To go along with my quote you posted above, I haven't had any SSN's that were not caused by me. I have 22k miles and no major issues to date. With the extremely cheap ($16k with 2,000 miles) used FFE's out there with low miles, I'd definitely buy again. However, once the next generation of 200 mile EV's hit the market, I'm moving on up.

michael said:
Mine has been remarkably problem free and also maintenance free.
[...]
The only maintenance has been tire rotation which was done for free at America's Tire Company.
Enjoyed over 26,000 miles so far in 2 1/2 years. (Do not have a commute routine.) (May = mfr. date, not sales.)
Spent $2 for a plastic fastener once (common part from any Ford service place), and rotated tires.
One concern: tires seem to have worn faster than those on our older car (perhaps because the FFE is heavier?). Am wondering about a different type for replacement, one of these years.

I agree about the tires. With 18k miles (including two previous winters with winter tires) my stock tires were shot. I'm probably going with Michelin Primacy. I don't think the ultra LRR tires do that much at all for range. Full disclosure: I do chirp tires a lot.

31,817 miles. No major issues. Had one SSN stall at exactly 10K miles, but no more after update.

Hopefully not jinxing myself, but ours is at around the 25,000 mark and no major issues. The check your wrench light came one once or twice early on, but wen't off on their own never to return. Once in a while when we plug it in, the charger doesn't click into charge mode immediately.

Overall very happy with the quiet ninja car.

28K miles here on my 2012. No issues to speak of other than a couple SSNs around the 3K mile mark that were addressed quickly after they were in the shop. Otherwise, zero maintenance or worries. Plug it in and drive. Lease will be up in Nov and we will miss it I'm sure. Probably going Tesla now that we're bought in to the concept and are immune to range anxiety.

Well I am not a long time owner (6 months, 7K miles) but I had a major issue, which should have been minor. My coolant pump broke. As you may know, this is the pump that cools the battery. As a result, the battery overheats and goes nuts in terms of milage. My range has dropped from a comfortable 85 to 45 or less. Worse, I don't want to drive around with a large Lithium Ion battery that is heating up. It is a major reliability risk.
They can't find a replacement part. "The supplier made some engineering changes and it is not clear when they will have the pump in production" is the exact wording that I received from the dealer.
Meanwhile, I am paying for this car, while having to drive around in a rental Corolla for some undetermined amount of time.
I am glad that I might be the only one with this problem as I would not want to hear about little Ford Focuses that catch on fire due to battery overheating... But, that does not solve my problem...

Suleozev said:
Well I am not a long time owner (6 months, 7K miles) but I had a major issue, which should have been minor. My coolant pump broke. As you may know, this is the pump that cools the battery. As a result, the battery overheats and goes nuts in terms of milage. My range has dropped from a comfortable 85 to 45 or less. Worse, I don't want to drive around with a large Lithium Ion battery that is heating up. It is a major reliability risk.
They can't find a replacement part. "The supplier made some engineering changes and it is not clear when they will have the pump in production" is the exact wording that I received from the dealer.
Meanwhile, I am paying for this car, while having to drive around in a rental Corolla for some undetermined amount of time.
I am glad that I might be the only one with this problem as I would not want to hear about little Ford Focuses that catch on fire due to battery overheating... But, that does not solve my problem...
Have you tried a different dealer? This somewhat sounds like an uneducated or lazy dealer.

Suleozev said:
My coolant pump broke. As you may know, this is the pump that cools the battery. As a result, the battery overheats and goes nuts in terms of milage. My range has dropped from a comfortable 85 to 45 or less.
1. What indication(s) did you see (in car, or online) about that problem?
2. Did you call Ford directly?
That problem is Major (obviously).

Back