OBD Scan Tools Info / Data

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not having success getting FORScan and the FFE to talk. What order do I need to do things?

Plug in BT adapter, start car, pair BT adapter to laptop, open FORScan?

Hybridbear
Bluetooth pairing is a one-time thing, The OBDLink will be powered up enough for pairing once it is plugged in (whether the FFE is powered up or not). Assure that it is paired (look in the Device Manager,..). FORScan won't try to do anything with the OBDLink until you hit its "connect" button (at this point you need to have the FFE in at least "accessory mode" -but FORScan will tell you that... -I suspect that you are not paired.

FORScan for Android can now be downloaded here. Note: you need to register with the FORScan Forum to access the download link. I have just started getting it set up for the FFE. It's great!!

OBDLink MX (Bluetooth) works well for me with FORScan. From discussions on their forums, it appears that they have made improvements that allow the cheaper ELM327's to work (if I can find my $15 one, I'll try it out with the android app).
The Android version seems to have several more modules and bunches more PIDs than the PC version... it's going take some time to sort out everything. This is beta software - I already see what appears to be a scaling issue with the SOC numbers (I really wish that this was a rainy day so that I could spend some time with it).

Thanks for letting us know about it hybridbear.

Update: False alarm on the scaling issue. For some reason the MFT on my car was displaying 100% (but it wasn't); when I restarted the car it read 95% which agreed with FORScan. The extra PIDs that I've looked at might be useful for troubleshooting specific problems but for everyday use the PIDs that I discussed in the first couple of posts of this thread are still the most interesting

Amazon is your friend ;)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=obdlink+mx&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aobdlink+mx&ajr=0
, though scantool.net occasionally offers special deals.

Please note that the software that comes packaged with the OBDLink MX scantool will not work on the FFE.
FORScan software does work (see first post in this thread).

Corrected post:
Forscan Lite for IOS only works with the wifi version of OBDLink

FORScan has IOS software that should work with OBDLink MX.

Search iTunes for FORScan Lite.

http://forscan.org/documentation_iOS.html

-btw, that IOS documentation might help Android users also since the Android doc isn't finished yet.

Ok, so

ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows (from Amazon)

plus

FORScan Lite - for Ford, Mazda, Lincoln, Mercury vehicles (from Itunes)

and I should be good to go, right???

///Sounds good to me/// . -- Correction; as noted below by hybridbear: you need the wifi version of the OBDLink MX for IOS.

- I suggest you spend some time reading through the FORScan forums; It's been a year since I went through them and I haven't looked at the IOS discussions at all except for the availability announcement. As for the software, I've been very impressed with the functionality; not quite so much with the UI.

Is there an SDK (Software Development Kit) for the ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth for anybody who wants to write their own software? (on computer or phone)

iOS FORScan requires a Wifi scanner. FORScan for Windows & Android works with Wifi or Bluetooth scanners.

One of my favorite PIDS is in the Transmission Control Module and shows the power output by the motor. However, the module seems to cause FORScan to crash periodically. It doesn't crash with any other module.

hybridbear said:
iOS FORScan requires a Wifi scanner. FORScan for Windows & Android works with Wifi or Bluetooth scanners.
Oh great. :(

Based on GladeStorm's advice (who said iOS "should work"), I just purchased a 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth (the black one) but it sounds like it won't actually work with my iPhone.

Seems that what I should have purchased is 426801 OBDLink MX WiFi Scan Tool (the red one).

WattsUp said:
hybridbear said:
Oh great. :(

Based on GladeStorm's advice (who said iOS "should work"), I just purchased a 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth (the black one) but it sounds like it won't actually work with my iPhone.

Seems that what I should have purchased is 426801 OBDLink MX WiFi Scan Tool (the red one).
Did you buy from Amazon? They're pretty good about returns. If your order hasn't shipped yet you can call them and ask them to cancel the order so you can get the correct one. I'd also recommend the FORScan Forum. There's a thread there about iOS Beta Testing which explains some of the important things you'll need to know to configure it.

jeffand said:
Make sure you are plugging into the correct port. Thier are two ports under the drivers side dash. One is easy to find the other is way up against the fire wall.
Apparently, it doesn't matter which you use.

I did find it rather humorous that the FFE has a good 26 modules in it and when I plugged the OBDLink into our RV I found.... 3! LOL

(I suspect that the wife's Escape will have a similar number of modules to it as the FFE given that it is a Titanium with a ton of features on it.)

Back